Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Trivia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is also the quirky little fact that Dublin, the capital city of a Catholic country, has two Cathedrals, but does not have a Catholic Cathedral. St. Patrick's and Christchurch are of course Church of Ireland. St. Patrick's Cathedral is the national cathedral and Christchurch is the city Cathedral and for the Dublin diocese. Around the time of Henry VIII they came under Protestant control and have remained that way. The Pro-Cathedral is not a full cathedral, but like a semi-cathedral or a Cathedral in waiting to have cathedral status bestowed upon it. While we are on churches, how many people know the proper name of what is commonly known as the Pepper Cannister Church on Mount Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Flukey wrote: »
    There is also the quirky little fact that Dublin, the capital city of a Catholic country, has two Cathedrals, but does not have a Catholic Cathedral. St. Patrick's and Christchurch are of course Church of Ireland. St. Patrick's Cathedral is the national cathedral and Christchurch is the city Cathedral and for the Dublin diocese. Around the time of Henry VIII they came under Protestant control and have remained that way. The Pro-Cathedral is not a full cathedral, but like a semi-cathedral or a Cathedral in waiting to have cathedral status bestowed upon it. While we are on churches, how many people know the proper name of what is commonly known as the Pepper Cannister Church on Mount Street?

Do I vaguely recollect that it's St. Stephen's ?

Also on the Wellington Monument/Testimonial :- there's a long standing Dublin oral history tradition about it's opening ceremony,when the plinth was being finally sealed. The opening ceremony was a major social event, with butlers and footmen in attendance. About 3 weeks after it happened, it was realised a footman who served at it was missing.

The police investigated, and other servants who'd been there reported that he'd been hitting the wine, and that they'd seen him passed out drunk inside the plinth.

It's believed that his body remains there to this day :- when it was realised what happened, he was obviously long since dead, and in those days you didn't incur the expense of re-opening something like that just to recover a servant's body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

the wellington monument?

more trivia: the lion that roars at the start of mgm movies was born in dublin zoo
    No Way. How do you know.
    I'm rooting through my DVD's to have a look at him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No Way. How do you know.
    I'm rooting through my DVD's to have a look at him:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_the_Lion_(MGM)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

How can you not notice his Dublin accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Christchurch is the technical Catholic Cathedral for the city I think. Before it was given to the Church of Ireland I think it was Catholic. Thats why the Pro-Cathedral is called as such, as there is already a cathedral in the city. Thats what I was told before anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

All churches around before the reformation were Catholic. Christchurch is certainly not Catholic now and has not been for centuries. Let's put it this way, you won't get mass there.

As to the MGM lion, there are variations on that, like that more than one lion was used, and it is not necessarily the Dublin one you see. I forget the exact details now, but there is a Dublin connection alright.

The Pepper Cannister Church is indeed St. Stephen's. So, for another simple one, what was the original name for O'Connell Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

The Pepper Cannister Church is indeed St. Stephen's. So, for another simple one, what was the original name for O'Connell Street?

Sackville st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

So, for another simple one, what was the original name for O'Connell Street?

Sackville street.

The Wellington story sounds like one of them classic Dublin myths. Reminds me of the story my uncle used to tell us as kids about the Howth tram. My uncle used to work in Parsons beside Howth Dart station and was always telling us tall tales. One that sticks in my mind was that one day the tram was arriving into Howth and travelling across the bridge over the road when the conductor felt the tram wobble severely. He hopped off and reported the bridge as defective and subsequently the line closed because of it.

Obviously not true,turns out the conductor was locked but still the story persisted into the 80's when i was first told it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As to the MGM lion, there are variations on that, like that more than one lion was used, and it is not necessarily the Dublin one you see. I forget the exact details now, but there is a Dublin connection alright.

The roar is from the Dublin Lion
    But the Lion you see is different, the roar was dubbed over

Northsider accent tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

O'Connell Street was origionaly Drogheda Street, and the surrounding streets were built by Henry Moore Earl Of Drogheda, hence the names of other streets locally. There was also an Of lane somewhere near the present O'Connell Street.

After Independence Great Britain Street was renamed Parnell Street but Dublin Corporation had no trouble leaving Little Britain Street in place.

Streets are generally between the North Circular Road and the South Circular Road, outside of these they are generally Roads.

markpb wrote: »
    Sackville st.

I think it was called Drogheda Street even before that

Maritime trivia

There is a tiny island off Dalkey Island.
    This was used to display executed pirates as a warning to passing ships

Dublin Bay was treachorous to navigate.
    To help this a local pilot was sent out to incoming ships to help the ships enter the port.

Henry VIII had a law that if the pilot ran the ship aground they would be blinded for their incompetitance

I think SIPTU would have a thing or two to say about that nowadays :eek:

Captain William Bligh, famous for the Mutiny on the Bounty designed the North Bull Wall

Maritime trivia

There is a tiny island off Dalkey Island.
    This was used to display executed pirates as a warning to passing ships

I think thats called the Muglins or something like that

I think you're correct, it was something like that.
    It's stretching it to even call it an island, more like a rock

Work sent us on some boat tour.
    You can go south as far as Dalkey or north up to Howth, we went South

The tour guides were brilliant, loads of trivia.
    I can't find the link to their company, based in the IFSC docks anyway

Worth doing, it's good craic

Now on with trivia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

How many bridges span the liffey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what was the original name of o connell bridge?
    carlisle bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

what was the original name of o connell bridge?
    carlisle bridge
    In fact, you could get a fair few questions out of "what was the original name of X". A lot of streets and landmarks in the city centre have had name changes throughout the years.

How about what landmark used to stand where the spire now stands, or is that too easy? (I'm terrible at coming up with pub quiz questions.)

Or what is the official title of the spire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

nelsons pillar

is it the momument of light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The S S Shamrock, used to sail daily from the Sewerage works in Ringsend with "undissolved solids" and dump it out to sea. It was known as the sh1t ship shamrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

In fact, you could get a fair few questions out of "what was the original name of X". A lot of streets and landmarks in the city centre have had name changes throughout the years.

I agree.

What was the original name of Heuston station?
    Kingsbridge

What was the original name of O'Connell street?
    Sackville street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Slunk wrote: »
    How many bridges span the liffey?

They all do !!!

Where's my prize :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Not sure of the question or the answers but somebody here will know what I'm trying to say -

Name five Street/Road names in Dublin which share their name with English Football Clubs

deelite wrote: »
    Not sure of the question or the answers but somebody here will know what I'm trying to say -

Name five Street/Road names in Dublin which share their name with English Football Clubs

Aston Quay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

deelite wrote: »

Brighton {many}
    Shrewsbury Road
    Oxford Road
    Cambridge Tce
    Carlisle St/Ave
    Bolton St
    Everton Ave

That's 7, so I must be wrong:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

chughes wrote: »
    They all do !!!

Where's my prize :D

Theres only one or two of em that span the river.
    No prize for you.

Next question.........
    The Eye and Ear Hospital on Harcourt Street, D.2, what was at this very location before the Hospital was built?
    A Site for sore eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

poisonated wrote: »
    What was the original name of O'Connell street?
    Sackville street

As mentioned above, before that it was called
    Drogheda Street

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

knird evol wrote: »
    Theres only one or two of em that span the river.
    No prize for you.

Next question.........
    The Eye and Ear Hospital on Harcourt Street, D.2, what was at this very location before the Hospital was built?
    A Site for sore eyes
    Do you mean Adelaide Road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean Adelaide Road?

Sorry Victor. Your dead right, well spotted.
    I stand by my original point though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... It was built when Wellington was alive, so it is actually a testimonial even though he is now dead. ...
    Partly true. Construction started when Wellington was alive, but someone made off with the building funds ( or they had "a budget over-run" or "cost projection anomaly" :rolleyes: ) and construction and commissioning was only completed after his death. So maybe it's a monumonial or a testiment.
    tricky D wrote: »
    ... The Monto for ending in O. ...
    Monto is slang for Montgomery Street (Talbot Street area), so I don't think it qualifies; sorry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement