Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Trivia

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

mathepac wrote: »
    Monto is slang for Montgomery Street (Talbot Street area), so I don't think it qualifies; sorry
    That's a good question, what street used to be Montgomery Street.

I'm not too sure myself, was it Gardiner Street? Or was it Talbot Street itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

That's a good question, what street used to be Montgomery Street.

I'm not too sure myself, was it Gardiner Street? Or was it Talbot Street itself?

Montgomery Street now called Foley Street. Wiki is your friend :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

chughes wrote: »
    Montgomery Street now called Foley Street. Wiki is your friend :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monto
    If we're going to consult Wikipedia for everything a trivia thread is pretty much pointless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Howth Harbour was built before Dun Laoghaire. Built in 1807 and was going to handle the mail boats from Holyhead.

The planners obviously never listened to the locals, it was silting up no sooner was it built.
    Can handle small boats and trawlers but not the larger boats.
    Pretty much a failure

So after it was completed, work began on Dun Laoghaire soon afterwards

chughes wrote: »
    Wiki is your friend :D

Checking wikipedia and then jumping in with answers kinda defeats the purpose of the thread imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Howth Harbour was built before Dun Laoghaire. Built in 1807 and was going to handle the mail boats from Holyhead.

The planners obviously never listened to the locals, it was silting up no sooner was it built.
    Can handle small boats and trawlers but not the larger boats.
    Pretty much a failure

So after it was completed, work began on Dun Laoghaire soon afterwards
    The harbour entrance should have been on the east side, not the west. The harbour is 9 miles from the GPO and there are still milestones all the way out on the Howth Road through Raheny. Unsually, there's 2 milestones at the end: one on the west pier, the other in the middle of the promenade. The elbow on the east pier was caused by a storm which swept the end to the west. The engineers took a look and decided to just go ahead and build on it. George IV visited the harbour shortly after it was built and there's a carving of his footsteps to commemorate this visit.

The Martello tower on Ireland's Eye had 2 cannons, the others only had one. (Martello is a misspelling of Mortella)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Slunk wrote: »
    How many bridges span the liffey?

knird evol wrote:
    Theres only one or two of em that span the river.

There are indeed just 2, the Ha'Penny Bridge and the Millennium Bridge. None of the others span the Liffey as they have supports in the river for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Flukey wrote: »
    There are indeed just 2, the Ha'Penny Bridge and the Millennium Bridge. None of the others span the Liffey as they have supports in the river for them.

Well thats not true surely. Is the bridge at island bridge where the south circular starts and crosses the liffey not a single span humpbacked bridge?

Also what about the blue painted metal one at Ellis quay? it's the last one before the 2 at heuston as you're heading west out the quays. think that's single span aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

where is the only garden in o connell street

answer:
    on the roof of the GPO

there are 2 o connell bridges in dublin, one crosses the liffey, where is the other?

answer:
    it crosses the pond in st. stephens green

i cant see any garden :confused:http://maps.google.ie/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=o%27connell+st&fb=1&gl=ie&t=h&sll=53.349405,-6.260525&sspn=0.000829,0.002642&rq=1&ev=zo&split=1&radius=0.07&hq=o%27connell+st&hnear=&ll=53.349346,-6.260796&spn=0.000829,0.002642&z=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement