Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well does the library cater for you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

elmyra wrote:
    *shudder*. Department refused to mark one of my essays at Christmas cos it was handed in after last day of term...totally accept that it was my fault, but not even a time penalty, just total refusal to mark it!! New regs are s**t.
    Heh... Reminds me:

History Dept refused point-blank to implement the new Regs on us 3rd years til this semester... Thank f**k - I handed my essay up 3 weeks after the deadline.

And the best bit is, I lost no marks.

But eh... Best keep schtum bout how I wangled that part...
    <_<

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

SebtheBum wrote:
    Heh... Reminds me:

History Dept refused point-blank to implement the new Regs on us 3rd years til this semester... Thank f**k - I handed my essay up 3 weeks after the deadline.

And the best bit is, I lost no marks.

But eh... Best keep schtum bout how I wangled that part...
    <_<

>_>

so not fair, mine was ten days late and tutor point black refused, and i know other people who got theirs accepted!!! Emailed prof, but basically got told 'sucks to be you'. Ah well, only 3% in the end, but i mean such a waste, if i'd known i wouldn't have bothered doing it after the deadline

elmyra wrote:
    so not fair, mine was ten days late and tutor point black refused, and i know other people who got theirs accepted!!! Emailed prof, but basically got told 'sucks to be you'. Ah well, only 3% in the end, but i mean such a waste, if i'd known i wouldn't have bothered doing it after the deadline
    /me pats elmyra's head in a condescending manner

Shush petal, it'll all be ok...

Well...

Unless you end up getting 37% overall in the summer!

/me runs off, cackling evilly

SebtheBum wrote:
    /me pats elmyra's head in a condescending manner

Shush petal, it'll all be ok...

Well...

Unless you end up getting 37% overall in the summer!

/me runs off, cackling evilly

yeah, yeah, well, you're the one who'll do your back in having to bend down to pat me on the head!!

God worst comeback ever, *Slaps self*, I'm off to study, and I'll sooooo get 38%, so there!!!

• Advertisement

You Go Girl!!!:D

Btw, I wouldn't feel bad about being smaller than some of my pets...

...they're equine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry Elymra, I'm utterly inarticulate most of the time. Nah, I was referring to primary texts. I understand your frustration with the secondary reading. We had an essay on Tristram Shandy to do - 200 students and only 8 books that were even vaguely relevant to the novel, not even the topic of the question. That's why you have to take a goo at things like J-Stor, LION etc. You'll often find articles that contain exactly what you need there. The Photocopy collection is fantastic for the more obscure things you need too.

I know you had exams at christmas, but wait until the summer when it's not just your year but second and third year looking for the exact same books you are, all at the same time.

It's joyful!

Oh, and if you want to approach your tutor about doing an essay that's not on the list, they might refer you to your module convenor, but most of the time if you have a strong idea and can back up why you want to do the essay on a particular aspect of something, they'll be delighted with your initiative and it might even garner you more marks at the end of the day. Where English is concerned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

elmyra wrote:
    yeah, yeah, well, you're the one who'll do your back in having to bend down to pat me on the head!!

Is that because you're performing fellatio on him?

Sangre wrote:
    I must say that I'm surprised that it took so long for someone to post this, but I'm not surprised in the least that that person turned out to be you, Sangre!:D

Kudos mate

Sangre wrote:

Dammit!!! Why do I never ever see the innuendo!!

• Advertisement

SebtheBum wrote:
    You Go Girl!!!:D

Btw, I wouldn't feel bad about being smaller than some of my pets...

...they're equine.

Completely off topic but....cool, I love horses. I fell off one yesterday tho, owww!!!

Blush_01 wrote:
    Sorry Elymra, I'm utterly inarticulate most of the time. Nah, I was referring to primary texts. I understand your frustration with the secondary reading. We had an essay on Tristram Shandy to do - 200 students and only 8 books that were even vaguely relevant to the novel, not even the topic of the question. That's why you have to take a goo at things like J-Stor, LION etc. You'll often find articles that contain exactly what you need there. The Photocopy collection is fantastic for the more obscure things you need too.

I know you had exams at christmas, but wait until the summer when it's not just your year but second and third year looking for the exact same books you are, all at the same time.

It's joyful!

Oh, and if you want to approach your tutor about doing an essay that's not on the list, they might refer you to your module convenor, but most of the time if you have a strong idea and can back up why you want to do the essay on a particular aspect of something, they'll be delighted with your initiative and it might even garner you more marks at the end of the day. Where English is concerned anyway.

God no don't apologise! I'm a big fan of J-Stor as it happens. I heard about the dreaded Tristran Shandy from one of the girls I live with, didn't sound like a picnic tbh. I have Terry Dolan for a seminar at the moment and we're using our own essay titles, it's fantastic, can't see why they don't do more of it- and thankfully, being a second year, I didn't have exams at Christmas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

elmyra wrote:
    I have Terry Dolan for a seminar at the moment and we're using our own essay titles, it's fantastic, can't see why they don't do more of it- and thankfully, being a second year, I didn't have exams at Christmas!!

Are you doing Humour: Medieval to Modern? I did that last year and it was great. Throw a Monty Python reference into your essay and he'll love you! :p
    (If you get a chance next year I'd totally recommend his Wise Virgins seminar, if hes doing it of course. I'm doing it now and its very interesting.)

The man is a legend and totally approachable. At least if the library lets you down you can go to him and he'll help you out with material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm in the same boat as Peachy, did the seminar with her last year and did Wise Virgins last semester. He's a lovely guy, very approachable, very nice marker and s an absolute sweetheart. To butter him up, mourn the passing of Old and Middle English in UCD. He'll love you!

Advertisement