Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Supplies??

Options
  • 20-02-2006 12:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of anywhere that sells tattoo supplies??
    Im toying with the idea of starting to teach myself to tattoo.Im not too bad at designing tats etc but I believe that tattooing skin is harder than most people would think.
    Im going to use myself as a guinea pig and start to tattoo anywhere I can reach on my own :eek: :eek:

Im basically looking to do this as a hobby and see if it goes anywhere from there.

What I am looking to buy is a machine,powersupply,needles,ink,tubes,(autoclave--depending on price)--Basically everything to get me started.But I would need an ongoing supplier if everything goes well and who knows maybe if any boards members would like to be a guinea pig and offer me some canvas I could do some tatts for free.
    Thanks
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Practice on pig skin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I think the guys in art tattoo are selling supplies, well needles, inks and grips anyway not sure about rigs and power supplies. You can do without the autoclave if you buy ready made needles and disposable grips.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ag marbh wrote:
    Practice on pig skin

Thats great help--I asked where I could buy a kit not what to tattoo on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I think the guys in art tattoo are selling supplies, well needles, inks and grips anyway not sure about rigs and power supplies. You can do without the autoclave if you buy ready made needles and disposable grips.

Im looking at going fully disposeable since an autoclave is mad money.Ebay have some decent kits at the right price but Im never sure about ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

There's a new wholesale place out near liffey valley, ill root out the website for ya later. The best place to buy a machine and power supply is online, there are some great starter sets out there if you spend the time looking for them.

Art tatto do supplies, they're fairly reasonable too, not nearly as cheap as buying online but good if you need a couple of needles quickly and dont want to wait on postage, I heard that Celstial Ring is starting to do supplies too now although I haven't bought anything there.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote:
    Thats great help--I asked where I could buy a kit not what to tattoo on.

If I had anymore to add I would have.

Ag marbh wrote:
    If I had anymore to add I would have.

To be totally honest thats a typical Ag Marbh response.
    If you have nothing worthwhile to add to a discussion then dont bother posting.

Hellrazer wrote:
    To be totally honest thats a typical Ag Marbh response.
    If you have nothing worthwhile to add to a discussion then dont bother posting.

A beginning artist will need somewhere to practice and pig skin is a grand auld canvas so I would say it's worthwhile.

Technically pig skin is too thick to give a realistic feel a btter thing to use is is thick skined fruit ie banana/ oranges they give a better feel then pig skin. sorry for straying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Ebay isnt too bad for buying machines.i bought a kit off a shop there last summer and it does me for the time.saying that i have two extra machines that i use alot more.

theres a few really good suppliers in the uk that i use regularly, and believe it or not Maplin`s do powerpacks.
    i know the supplier in templebar can be expensive, and the machines arent the best but the shops great for picking up disposable tubes,grips and needles,and other bits and pieces.The needles arent badly priced though.

if youre just going to teach yourself,dont bother with an autoclave,use disposable needles and grips.this is what i did when i was learning.
    And practise on citrus fruits.big oranges,grapefruits and the like.
    Pigskins alright but can stink up the place,plus the backs rather slippery.
    wait a bit before you practise on yourself.and it helps if youve got tattooist friends too.

• Advertisement

You can get practice skin on ebay, it's meant to be good but slightly exspensive, you strap it onto your leg and away you go!

Ag marbh wrote:
    A beginning artist will need somewhere to practice and pig skin is a grand auld canvas so I would say it's worthwhile.

But it has absolutely nothing do do with the question I asked at the start of the thread so I wouldnt consider it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hellrazer wrote:
    But it has absolutely nothing do do with the question I asked at the start of the thread so I wouldnt consider it worthwhile.

Dude why are you freaking out so much? He did make a valid suggestion, lots of people use pigskin. You were looking for guinea pigs after all, this is just...a dead (guinea) pig.

Well, you did say you were gonna practice on yourself, I'm sure he was just offering a piece of advice, and some good advice at that.

eth0_ wrote:
    Dude why are you freaking out so much? He did make a valid suggestion, lots of people use pigskin. You were looking for guinea pigs after all, this is just...a dead (guinea) pig.

I wasnt freaking out.I asked a question regarding where to buy Tattoo supplies.

Im well aware of using citrus fruits and pig skin(although I dont think it has the right consistency to practice on) plus I have a friend who owns and runs his own shop and is going to help me out starting out.

Apologies if I came across a bit hot headed.
    Richie

Well good luck with it anyway!

PS, If you have a mate who has a shop I'm sure he has connections and can tell you the best place to get a machine, also he might know someone selling one second hand.

Shelli wrote:
    Well good luck with it anyway!

PS, If you have a mate who has a shop I'm sure he has connections and can tell you the best place to get a machine, also he might know someone selling one second hand.

Not sure Id trust a second hand machine!!Would it be safe??

Ive been told by my mate that Id be better off ordering from the US online(He does but has European voltage power supplies so thats not a problem to him) but I just thought it would be easier to get one in Europe brand new,voltage differences and all that and once Im set up with a decent power supply I can then just order machines that are recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hellrazer wrote:
    Im well aware of using citrus fruits and pig skin(although I dont think it has the right consistency to practice on) plus I have a friend who owns and runs his own shop and is going to help me out starting out.

Well ya know, we didn't know that did we? :P

Tbh i think hellrazer needs a one week ban to chill out :v:

Personally i would go near a secong hand machine you would know if its been kept sterile or anything. Also if you can afford it get a regulated power supply.

I think if you know and trusted the person you were buying the machine off it would be fine. But for a new machine as I said before, online is def the best place to buy.

Ebay is good for checking out packages, even if you dont trust Ebay you can get a good idea fo whats on offer and alot of the sellers will have they're own sites. I have bought ink sets of ebay. I personally have only bought machines at conventions because my boyfriend likes to feel the weight and balance of the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I'd say ebay is the place to go in fairness. I'd even order the disposable tubes and needles online, landbased only if you were stuck and needed supplies in a hurry.
    Why not talk to your mate about getting an apprenticeship? Or at least getting some tuition off of them so that you know the basics like how deep you can go and how to get the ink to stay in.
    you only have so much space you can practise on on our legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Plus...if youre going to practise on yourself you really need to know what youre at before picking up a machine.

its all well and good if you can design tattoos but theres alot more than picking up a machine and inking your legs/whatever without them looking like dodgy prison tatts.
    if youre looking for suppliers, a quick google should help.
    ive been a tattooist for just three years and im still learning.

Good point Chaos.
    Any way here goes.
    Just been talking to my mate and hes going to give me a for want of a better word a "semi-apprenticeship".That all sounds well and good but basically Im going to be shown how to set up the machine,different techniques etc etc. or as Blub say more like basic tuition.

Ive been told the best way to get my equipment is to buy a regulated PSU over here(Someone mentioned Maplins??)1.2v-15v dc I believe is what I need,then buy the machine online and a load of disposabe tubes/grips/needles etc.

Ive an agreement that I wont Tattoo anyone including myself until Ive built up a portfolio of work carried out on paper/fake skin etc. and at least a year or so has passed.
    It sounds like a good way to start out and Ill be learning from a decent artist.
    This sound reasonable to you lot??

Hellrazer wrote:
    Good point Chaos.
    Any way here goes.
    Just been talking to my mate and hes going to give me a for want of a better word a "semi-apprenticeship".That all sounds well and good but basically Im going to be shown how to set up the machine,different techniques etc etc. or as Blub say more like basic tuition.

Ive been told the best way to get my equipment is to buy a regulated PSU over here(Someone mentioned Maplins??)1.2v-15v dc I believe is what I need,then buy the machine online and a load of disposabe tubes/grips/needles etc.

Ive an agreement that I wont Tattoo anyone including myself until Ive built up a portfolio of work carried out on paper/fake skin etc. and at least a year or so has passed.
    It sounds like a good way to start out and Ill be learning from a decent artist.

Sounds good, although saying all that about pratice and fake skin etc., the only way to learn really is to pick up the machine and start tatooing. I found a good way to learn to judge skin depth is to hand poke a small piece onto your self (using a proper tattoo needle of course).

I think a full year of "fake" tattooing might be a bit much.

Hellrazer wrote:
    Good point Chaos.
    Any way here goes.

Nice one, the tuition idea is a good one, no one can reasonably teach themselves anything, it's an oxymoron.
    good luck with it.

Shelli wrote:
    I think a full year of "fake" tattooing might be a bit much.

In a traditional apprenticeship you would be sweeping floors for a year until you get to draw on paper......

Officially yes, but I guarantee you they're practicing on themselves or willing guinea pigs at home, and even then, most people who get apprentices have at least tried it out themselves at home before going looking for an apprenticeship.

I got all my equipment delivered yesterday---Machine,Power supply,foot switch etc.
    All I need now is needles,disposable tubes and some outlining black(the mentor says to get the lines straight before going any further)

Someone mentioned that there is a supply place in Temple bar??
    Would anyone know the name and address of this place?

Im just going to buy what I need immediately--3 outline and 7 shader is what Ive been advised to use to start off.And obviously tubes/nozzles to suit.

The italians over cafe irie in temple bar have supplies think their place is called art tattoo, methinks, its the old sacred art shop. They've got needles and grips etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hellrazer: Well done on the apprenticeship! :) hope it all works out for ya

Advertisement