Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I get Internet Explorer working again

• 20-02-2006 12:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hey guys
    I had Internet Explorer 6 and it worked perfectly but then I was stupid enough to try out the latest Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 and it worked fine for about 2 days untill the next day I get this warning message about an add-on problem stmain.dll that claims to be not verified by Microsoft Corporation. When i press continue I get the Internet explorer has encountered a problem message and it closes. I read up on how to delete Internet Explorer 7 using the add/remove programmes and even tho it showed up and I seemed to successfully remove it, when i rebooted my computer I then tried to reinstall Internet Explorer 6 and it wont let me because it says that theres a newer version there... Internet Explorer 7 is still there in crash mode no matter what I do, ive tried removing it so many times and it just wont go away. Is there a way I can get back to installing Internet Explorer 6 properly again? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

You go to www.getfirefox.com and download it, you'll never have an IE problem again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You go to www.getfirefox.com and download it, you'll never have an IE problem again!
    Yellow Card for that.

Please answer the asked question, IE is needed for windows update and genuine downloads.

Anyway back to the IE problem - have you tried system restore ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Would a straight download work...

http://www.freedownloadhq.com/ie.asp?s=gouk&a=ie

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

Otherwise a system restore should work, official installs usually create their own rollback point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

can you not uninstall the new beta version leaving you with old one?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ive tried uninstalling it so many times, i get the removed successfull box and all but then it restarts and i go to download IE6, setup tells me it cant because theres a newer version installed and IE7 beta is still there no matter what! very annoying.

I am a mozilla firefox user but as pointed above IE is needed for windows updates etc. I'll try a system restore this evening and see does that help, thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

since when did you need to reinstall IE6 after the IE7 beta install? :confused:

has it changed from beta1?

remove ie7, restart, ie6 worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Restore may not work. I installed it in work, and tried "Uninstalling" IE6 and reinstalling it, but obviously this didn't work since you can never fully remove IE :rolleyes:

The problem is that IE7 interferes with the Internet Options control panel, and adds some registry data which never fullys gets removed. It shouldn't cause much of an issue in a bog standard setup, but it can cause issues some of the time.

My only solution was a complete reimage, but that's because I didn't have an XP disc handy to run sfc. Restore failed to restore for me each time, but I suspect that would have fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

this will remove ie7beta, and restore back to ie6

open note pad and type in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
    "InstalledByUser" = "0x10001"

Rename the notepad file to: fixunistall.reg

save and exit it. then open it up it will make some changes to reg.

go into the c\windows directory and run the spuninst.exe (you'll need to turn on show hidden files and folders) i think the path is something like this %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Advertisement