Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 won't play, License won't migrate

Options
  • 20-02-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know a way around this. I try to play a MP3 I have in my music Library, instead of playing a website appears telling me I have to download a license. When I try to download I get this Message:
    "The license cannot be downloaded because the license has already been downloaded 10 times."I have had this music on my computer for YEARS, over the years I have upgraded my computers, reformatted numerous times and now I can not play a majority of my music. It tells me I have downloaded too many licenses. I am sorry I had to reFormat or upgrade my computers over the past 10 years, but I can't play my music with Musci Match or Windows Media Player (I don't use Win Media Player). Does anyone have any suggustions and/ or a way around this annouance... I thank you all for any and all assistance you may afford me. JD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ahh, the joys of DRM. Simple answer is there is no way around it, complex answer is that if there were a way it would be illegal and we wouldn't be able to discuss it here anyway.

Just for the future; this only happens when you buy music at rip-off prices from licenced websites, if only you had downloaded all of the music for free from p2p or paid a fraction at the likes of < snip > this wouldn't have happened, you could have copied the files endlessly without any problem.

Not that I am suggesting that you should break copyright and download music illegally, that's a very very bold thing to do.

EDIT: John.. no linking to said MP3 site. Don't care whether you pay for the music there or not. Legality of the site is questionable under Irish law!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - DRM sucks. There are some legal sites where you can purchase DRM-free music such as audiolunchbox.com but otherwise, your best bet is to buy the CD and rip it to MP3. Simple and effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Its a lot of work but you could try burning the tracks onto CD and the ripping again. Using MP3 you might find most ripping software will read the info from the disc ie titles etc.

DRM is becoming standard and most new MP3 players require you have windows XP and Windows Media Player 10 to facilitate this,therefore the music industry is forcing the issue now and manufacturers are playing Ball.

Apple are being confronted by the State Atorney in New York for using DRM in I-tunes and if they loose, things might have to change but it appears DRM is here to stay..

Much better to use an MP3 ripping software with no DRM, though the files will be bigger than WMA.

Advertisement