Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Dye a couch

Options
  • 20-02-2006 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I have a couch with loose covers and I want to dye it. Someone told me that you can buy stuff in Hickies but I checked it out and it would not be good enough.

Has anyone got experience of dyeing a couch and or can they suggest what to buy or does anyone know of any place that will do it for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have a couch with loose covers and I want to dye it. Someone told me that you can buy stuff in Hickies but I checked it out and it would not be good enough.

Has anyone got experience of dyeing a couch and or can they suggest what to buy or does anyone know of any place that will do it for me.
    My missus bought those little powder tins of dye in Hickies a few years back and dyed our couch and both arm chairs.It turned out ok. The couch was navy but had faded over the years and she just used a navy dye. You basically calculate what you need by the weight of cloth to dye.
    It took her a while as she washed the covers first to get rid of any dirt on them, which is recommended.

She also took the pouffe and dyed it from navy to black as it was going to another room and again it turned out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Right... you're actually dying loose covers - not an entire couch (I thought you were trying to fit the yoke into your washing machine!!!)

What you need is Dylon Machine Dye & a whole load of salt (the salt acts as the fixer). The dye is readily available in most chemists - look at http://www.dylon.co.uk/main.htm for more info on how it all works and then FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

babaduck wrote:
    Right... you're actually dying loose covers - not an entire couch (I thought you were trying to fit the yoke into your washing machine!!!)

What you need is Dylon Machine Dye & a whole load of salt (the salt acts as the fixer). The dye is readily available in most chemists - look at http://www.dylon.co.uk/main.htm for more info on how it all works and then FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER!!!
    That's the stuff she got.....I remember her going on about all the salt she had to add in with it.
    I think to dye the couch and 2 armchairs it was about €70 in dye. I can't be sure but I thought it was roughly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

That Dylon dye is good stuff, I machine dyed old sheets with it and they are colour fast and still looking good many years later. One thing to consider is the material, i.e. fabrics with a high man-made fibre content will not take the dye well or at all.

Advertisement