Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Speed Increase info request

• 20-02-2006 1:18pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

Nearly the end of Feb does anybody have any info when and if we are getting our speed increase. I know they are upgrading modems at the moment so is it soon.

Me wants 10meg

Cheers,
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

TCP/IP wrote:
    Hi Everybody,

Nearly the end of Feb does anybody have any info when and if we are getting our speed increase. I know they are upgrading modems at the moment so is it soon.

Me wants 10meg

Cheers,
    TCP/IP

For the zillionth time nobody knows! NTL have stated afaik that they will announce it when they are ready anything else is based on word from Mrs Murphy who lives down the road and she said that her third cousin met someone while on holidays in the Arctic a couple of months ago and over a cool pint they were told by a guy who generally knows about this type of stuff that definitely the neighbour beside them had worked in NTL years ago and they knew someone on the inside who told them that NTL would definitely upgrade their speeds very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote:
    For the zillionth time nobody knows! NTL have stated afaik that they will announce it when they are ready anything else is based on word from Mrs Murphy who lives down the road and she said that her third cousin met someone while on holidays in the Arctic a couple of months ago and over a cool pint they were told by a guy who generally knows about this type of stuff that definitely the neighbour beside them had worked in NTL years ago and they knew someone on the inside who told them that NTL would definitely upgrade their speeds very soon.

I didn't realize you had such a concrete source! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ntl will start upgrades from 5th of March

Speeds are:

2.5mb, 5mb and 10mb

all prices will drop by 5 euro, so 35 for the top package

Have I ever told you guys I suffer from rumoritice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

CyberGhost wrote:

Speeds are:

2.5mb, 5mb and 10mb

And your source of this info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

CyberGhost wrote:

Speeds are:

2.5mb, 5mb and 10mb

they just dropped the prices in jan so whatever else i cant see a second drop so soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

they just dropped the prices in jan so whatever else i cant see a second drop so soon

drop prices + increase speeds = more customers (profit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

CyberGhost wrote:

Speeds are:

2.5mb, 5mb and 10mb

Any word on new upload speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Although he invented his own word, I think this clears things up.

Anyways, I want my friggin 10meg!

Tbh, I'm not that pushed.. All I do is game online these days. speed increase would be nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Some people just never learn. The important stuff is always in the smallprint! :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some prices have already been dropped by a tenner. At least I was charged a tenner less this month...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yup Seamus. prices were already dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭goose06

Dear John

Thank you for your email. Currently we have 3 broadband packages 1mb, 2mb and 3mb. We have no plans at the moment to upgrade speeds. However should this happen in the near future all customers will be notified in advance.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards,

Lisa O'Brien
    NTL Customer Support

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal attention of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any attachments is unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the message. Any representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.

ntl Group Limited
    This email is sent on behalf of Ntl Communications (Ireland) Limited (registered in the Republic of Ireland under number 32156), a subsidiary of MS Irish Cable Holdings B.V. The "ntl" and "ntlworld" trademarks are used under license from NTL Group Limited, however NTL Group Limited has no responsibility for the contents of this email.

--Original Message--

Hi
    I have a 1 meg Broadband line with you and I was wondering if there is any truth in the rumours going around about the free upgrade,
    regards

JOhn

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal attention
    of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
    addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any attachments is
    unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the message. Any
    representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.

ntl Group Limited

goose06 wrote:
    Dear John

Thank you for your email. Currently we have 3 broadband packages 1mb, 2mb and 3mb. We have no plans at the moment to upgrade speeds. However should this happen in the near future all customers will be notified in advance.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards,

Lisa O'Brien
    NTL Customer Support

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal attention of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any attachments is unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the message. Any representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.

ntl Group Limited
    This email is sent on behalf of Ntl Communications (Ireland) Limited (registered in the Republic of Ireland under number 32156), a subsidiary of MS Irish Cable Holdings B.V. The "ntl" and "ntlworld" trademarks are used under license from NTL Group Limited, however NTL Group Limited has no responsibility for the contents of this email.

--Original Message--

Hi
    I have a 1 meg Broadband line with you and I was wondering if there is any truth in the rumours going around about the free upgrade,
    regards

JOhn

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal attention
    of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
    addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any attachments is
    unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the message. Any
    representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.

ntl Group Limited

c/s tend to be the last to know, even after the upgrade happens they tend to be in the darkness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

CS staff at NTL arent exactly current affairs...

I sent three emails in late jan about BB availability.
    The person who was replying insisted it wasnt available in my area despite telling them i know people in the same estate with it.

She said its definitely not...

... right I thought, Ill ring sales and try order it anyway... So i rang up sales and 4 days later had BB installed.

Last year I asked when they were coming to Galway... and was told never and a few weeks later they rolled out down here.

Never listen to what CS tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭goose06

Fair enough,
    just annoying not knowing what the story with it is

goose06 wrote:
    Fair enough,
    just annoying not knowing what the story with it is

a few from NTL post to Boards in the past! but they have not done so lately!

come on lads? you will loose customers to SMART, MAGNEt........ then again they are not fools...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

dub45 wrote:

That Mrs Murphy is a lying b*tch. Don't believe a word she tells you. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Drapper wrote:

That is bacuse they both work for another ISP now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

I got the 2Mb package installed about two weeks ago and the guy installing said they were upgrading the connections roughly at the end of Feb start of March, he didn't have a definite date just a guideline.
    He said the 2Mb was going to 7Mb which supports a lot of posts that have I have seen in the last few months.
    I asked about the caps and he said he hadn't heard anything but that NTL generally are fairly lenient when it comes to the cap limits.
    Reckon you'd need to be doing some serious filesharing to rack up enough Gigs to cause problems.

On another note I asked for a wireless router and he told me it has to be asked for when you order your BB. Thanks to NTL for telling me they don't support wireless and for not asking me if i wanted it when i ordered. :mad:

He did say that some of the customer support people keep saying wireless is not supported which is rubbish.
    They installers carry a few spares with them in case people ask that haven't ordered but unluckily for me he'd used up his that morning so I'm stuck with a wired modem and now will need to buy my own wireless router.

Such is life.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

The not supporting is to do with Technical Support I'd say. There are so many makes and models or routers out there it would be fairly impossible for any Tec Support to be able to give you technical assistance for setting up your network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I'm holding my breath for the upgrade. Anyone know what difference there is between the model 250 modems they are installing and the model 120 I have? I know the model 100 is being replaced, but will I miss out on anything if I still have a 120?

Oh, and any rumours about an increase in the (advisory) cap? I'm on 40 GB at present and have to watch it after getting a letter from NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

Drapper wrote:

come on lads? you will loose customers to SMART, MAGNEt........ then again they are not fools...............

I dont work for NTL and dont have ntl but my gf got ntl in early January and the 2 engineers that came out stated the upgrades were going to happion i.e. i was heard them say this. Thats as close as you can get to the horses mouth as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

aubhall wrote:
    my gf got ntl in early January and the 2 engineers that came out stated the upgrades were going to happion i.e. i was heard them say this.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

aubhall wrote:
    I dont work for NTL and dont have ntl but my gf got ntl in early January and the 2 engineers that came out stated the upgrades were going to happion i.e. i was heard them say this. Thats as close as you can get to the horses mouth as they say.

Thats the kind of definitive proof we have been waiting for..:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

aubhall wrote:

Well my third cousin once met someone who knew someone who had a brother in law whose brother worked in NTL and he told him that their installers hated being called horses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

Anyone know what the new upload speeds will be?

I only presume they'll b going up aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I think 512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

512 is also what I think. I would be a very happy camper if it was 1 meg though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

captainpat wrote:
    Oh, and any rumours about an increase in the (advisory) cap? I'm on 40 GB at present and have to watch it after getting a letter from NTL.

Morning All.

I've had a couple of these letters, and a phone call, so I think you'll be alright if you go over the limits 2 or 3 times. They just sent me a standard letter saying I've gone over my limit, therefore it is degrading the service for other peeps etc.

Since the phonecall, I've started to behave myself now, very little filesharing, and mostly online games for me now. However, I did feel like I was 6 again, and I'd taken more biscuits than I was supposed to tho. :rolleyes:

As for C/S at NTL knowing about the speed upgrades, as someone else stated they are usually the last to know, and that is true for just about any company. C/S are mushrooms, kept in the dark, and fed bullsh*t.

Just remember, good things come to those who wait.

Cheers
    Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

How about everyone just.. relaxes?

The upgrades will happen if and when they happen. There's no point getting over-excited to the point of a stroke when nothing has been confirmed by NTL yet.

Give it time.

Advertisement