Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Speed Increase info request

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I've noticed my speeds doubling on a couple of occasions in the last few nights, I was downloading a file when the speeds were 384kbps when I'm only on the 2mb connection, I ran a speed test on Irishisptest and it confirmed I was getting close to 4mb. I'm in Dublin 24. Speeds were back to normal last night, I'm guessing that some sort of tests have been taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

jeez lads ,as Moriarty says relax.if you don`t see anything happen after the first week in march then post away:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

jaysus, i normally just read all these threads and laugh but now i HAVE to post

Thread after thread, discussing the obvious, i wonder will you all open a thread called "Weather, will there be any tomorrow?"

OF COURSE THERE WILL. and of course the speeds are going up

ye'all think that after 3 years, the speed has increased from 512 -> 600 -> 750 -> 1.5mb -> 3mb for it to stay there forever or get slower??? LIKELY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I wonder if we will be upgraded.

Has anyone heard of any rumors?

CyberGhost wrote:

nah, speeds are going down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

CyberGhost wrote:

Has anyone heard of any rumors?

Next upgrades are due end of march

-A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sportacus !

captainpat wrote:
    I'm holding my breath for the upgrade. Anyone know what difference there is between the model 250 modems they are installing and the model 120 I have? I know the model 100 is being replaced, but will I miss out on anything if I still have a 120?

Oh, and any rumours about an increase in the (advisory) cap? I'm on 40 GB at present and have to watch it after getting a letter from NTL.
    Is there a disadvantages in having the 120 modem? I've my NTL BB since 2003.

only difference is the colour mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sportacus !

Boomer23 wrote:
    only difference is the colour mate

And size :v: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Moriarty wrote:
    How about everyone just.. relaxes?

The upgrades will happen if and when they happen. There's no point getting over-excited to the point of a stroke when nothing has been confirmed by NTL yet.

Give it time.

Exactly, if you have NTL then most of you probably have a 3mb line, I can't see why you're so eager for 10mb, pages don't load any quicker, you'll have that mp3 a couple of seconds sooner, these threads are getting boring, just sit back and wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, the maximum speed of the 120 is 5Mbit/s. So if NTL upgrade to products over 5Mbit/s you will need to get a new modem. NTL seem to be replacing these modems for free anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

sportacus! banned for a week. ntbell, cop teh fook on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Moriarty wrote:
    sportacus! banned for a week. ntbell, cop teh fook on.

Sorry?

What did I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

IS ntl bell from NTl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gflan05

i was just on to ntl and i was told that only people that got letters needed to be upgraded and as of the speed increase i was told
    1mb is going to 2mb
    2mb is going to 3mb
    3mb is going to 5mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

gflan05 wrote:
    i was just on to ntl and i was told that only people that got letters needed to be upgraded and as of the speed increase i was told
    1mb is going to 2mb
    2mb is going to 3mb
    3mb is going to 5mb

again lets wait and see ! 3rd hand info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I was told by some NTL engineer yesterday they weren't sure and hadn't been told, but they thought the speeds will be

10meg / 8 meg / 5 meg downstream and couldn't comment on upstream.

1000kpbs... yipee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

so much of hopes here and there... careful now, things can fall apart u know... let's stay quiet and calm... once the upgrade is done, feel free to be loud n shout... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Awesome. I'm changing to NTL next week. Eircom are pissing me off, not getting the speeds I should be, and NTL just became available. Hope there's a nice upload speed tbh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

its abit slow tonight, speeds have dropped allot, xfire dropping and MSN !!! maybe its about to HAPPEN !!!!! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mang87 wrote:
    Awesome. I'm changing to NTL next week. Eircom are pissing me off, not getting the speeds I should be, and NTL just became available. Hope there's a nice upload speed tbh. :D

See attached snapshot of the 3 Meg ( when I used to have it - on 1 Meg now).:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

When they upgrade the speed will the latency drop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

This thread is depressing me, i cannot get NTL, i'm waiting 3 years now! And i keep being told that i'll just have to wait for my notice to come in the door!

Ah they pi$$ me off! Even though a guy down the road from me is able to get NTL bb, i think my home just proved a problem to upgrade and they basically skipped it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Drapper wrote:
    its abit slow tonight, speeds have dropped allot, xfire dropping and MSN !!! maybe its about to HAPPEN !!!!! ;-)

The Cable fairy told me the new NTL speeds are 33K 56K a whopping 128K from midnight tonight :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Gazza22 wrote:
    Ah they pi$$ me off! Even though a guy down the road from me is able to get NTL bb, i think my home just proved a problem to upgrade and they basically skipped it!

It doesn't work that way, cable is a shared medium. If you and your neighbour are on the same local node then you both can get BB. If you are on different local nodes then his local node might have been upgraded for BB while users hasn't been updated yet.

One thing to note that NTL's address database isn't very good, so you might actually be BB ready, but their database is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

bk wrote:
    One thing to note that NTL's address database isn't very good, so you might actually be BB ready, but their database is wrong.

This is true... ive been through this problem before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

can someone explain to me in captain dummy speak the differences in the way broadband speeds are described

e.g. NTL's site describes their basic package as 1000Kbps downspeed and 100Kbps upspeed, then the chart above describes a line as having 2.94 Mbps download and 289 kbps up

What is the difference between KBps, Kbps, MBps, Mbps - are we talking Mega-bits or Mega-bytes or Kilo-bits or Kilo-bytes here?

redtom wrote:
    can someone explain to me in captain dummy speak the differences in the way broadband speeds are described

e.g. NTL's site describes their basic package as 1000Kbps downspeed and 100Kbps upspeed, then the chart above describes a line as having 2.94 Mbps download and 289 kbps up

What is the difference between KBps, Kbps, MBps, Mbps - are we talking Mega-bits or Mega-bytes or Kilo-bits or Kilo-bytes here?

Kbps = Kilo bits per second
    Mbps = Mega bits per second
    KBps = Kilo Bytes per second
    MB = Mega Bytes per second

There are 8 bits in one byte.

When people sell BB products they always talk in bits, so Kbps or Mbps.
    When you are actually downloading something off the internet, the software usually tells you the speed it is doing this in bytes, so KB/s or MB/s.

2.94 Mbps download and 289 kbps up is the speed of NTL's top package, NTL Broadband Max, it is equivalent to 3,000 kbps (3Mbps) down and 300 kbps up, you just never get the full speed due to overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

There are 1024 kilobits in a megabyte
    There are 8 bits in a byte

Your transfer rates on the Internet will be in Kilobytes so if you divide 1024 by 8 your ideal transfer rate will be 128 for a 1 Mb connection.

Sorry if don’t make sense it’s a hard thing to type out.

Advertisement