Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Speed Increase info request

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

THey are probably just testing out the lowest product upgrade,now,the way they did with MAX before the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Can't wait!

I hope they'll upgrade us this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

1Mb D12 here no change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My Eircom pings shot up to 540ms today. Should I expect an upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Drapper: there are 2 seperate networks setup here. i have my modem, which has a seperate password set, different from hers. her one says its 3mb, as does mine, but she is paying for 1mb, and i am paying for 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

lotas wrote:
    Drapper: there are 2 seperate networks setup here. i have my modem, which has a seperate password set, different from hers. her one says its 3mb, as does mine, but she is paying for 1mb, and i am paying for 3.
    Stupid question, but.......why?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also why?

Why don't you just get one modem and share the connection with your sister via ethernet or WiFi and then you split the cost?

So anybody else see a speed bump?

nope, no bumps yet bk :(

bk wrote:
    Also why?

Why don't you just get one modem and share the connection with your sister via ethernet or WiFi and then you split the cost?

So anybody else see a speed bump?

Very simple reason why i dont share a connection with her: Bit Torrent/Emule/any other P2P file sharing network. she downloads at nearly a constant 800kbits/s (when she was on her 1mb line) for the whole day. she onces was on my connection, but killed it. i couldent get anywhere. i pay for my connection, which i use for hosting my own email server and web server, and she pays for hers, where she downloads what ever the hell she wants. easy way to solve that problem! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I noticed increased download speeds on sunday, I'm on a 1meg line and i was getting 200kB/s downloads (in dublin 15)

• Advertisement

lotas wrote:
    Very simple reason why i dont share a connection with her: Bit Torrent/Emule/any other P2P file sharing network. she downloads at nearly a constant 800kbits/s (when she was on her 1mb line) for the whole day. she onces was on my connection, but killed it. i couldent get anywhere. i pay for my connection, which i use for hosting my own email server and web server, and she pays for hers, where she downloads what ever the hell she wants. easy way to solve that problem! :D

But how did you manage to get 2 TV lines in the same house? you must be paying for 14 channel basic tv then too? and tv license?

CyberGhost wrote:
    But how did you manage to get 2 TV lines in the same house? you must be paying for 14 channel basic tv then too? and tv license?

it doesent matter about that. NTL can run as many connections into your house off one Access point as needed (there is a max, but it depends on who you ask). For our house we have 4 NTL digi boxes (we want 7, but thats another story alltogether) 4 basic TV points and 2 digiboxes. i would advise not to ask more questions about that because it gets confusing (especially the 7 digibox part...) :D

lotas wrote:
    it doesent matter about that. NTL can run as many connections into your house off one Access point as needed (there is a max, but it depends on who you ask). For our house we have 4 NTL digi boxes (we want 7, but thats another story alltogether) 4 basic TV points and 2 digiboxes. i would advise not to ask more questions about that because it gets confusing (especially the 7 digibox part...) :D

But like you said, there is 1 access point(for each house) how does ntl differentiate separate internet connections then? :confused:

I too have like erm 5-6 tv points, but if I wanted to order another broadband connection, how would my excisting ntl and new one co-excist? :confused:

CyberGhost wrote:
    But like you said, there is 1 access point(for each house) how does ntl differentiate separate internet connections then? :confused:

I too have like erm 5-6 tv points, but if I wanted to order another broadband connection, how would my excisting ntl and new one co-excist? :confused:

everything is done on the cable modem side. the cable modem has a unique MAC address. when your cable modem gets installed, its registered to NTLs network based on the mac address. Hope this unconfuses you...

ah now that clears it up, thanks lotas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you look at the details in the ntl cable modem you will see that each modem is locked to certain frequencies hence you can have multiple cable modems of the same connection. Cable is a shared medium and so there is no differentiation between a modem in your house and having one also in another room and your neighbour having one on the other side of your dividing wall .

thanks Jimmy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

though with contention being local in a cable setup i can't imagine you would gain much from 2 bb connections, you'd be both contending for the same bandwidth no?

though with contention being local in a cable setup i can't imagine you would gain much from 2 bb connections, you'd be both contending for the same bandwidth no?
    in theory yes, but because the contention ratio is so low, and because there are not enough users with the connection, the connection is nice and fast. both of us can download at a full 380+k/s with no problems.

I know this isnt concrete and everything but i just thought i would let you know.i got ntl bb installed today and i asked the technician about the upgrade,he said it should go up to between 8- 10mb in around a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I know this isnt concrete and everything but i just thought i would let you know.i got ntl bb installed today and i asked the technician about the upgrade,he said it should go up to between 8- 10mb in around a month.

First it was feb, then march, now april? What are they playing at :(

Yeah in know its not great.I dont really care as long as it happens within a reasonable time such as 4 months or something(providing its 10 mb if its 8 i want itsooner?)

dlofnep wrote:

Yea, that's no good :(

I hope we're still on for middle March :confused:

HAs there been any news about UPC announcing a name change yet,that will probably be when the speed increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

HAs there been any news about UPC announcing a name change yet,that will probably be when the speed increases.

mate you are covering very old ground I think !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

dlofnep wrote:

Afaik, they never made any official announcement abt upgrade... We are hoping too much, holes to heaven... :p

lotas wrote:
    in theory yes, but because the contention ratio is so low, and because there are not enough users with the connection, the connection is nice and fast. both of us can download at a full 380+k/s with no problems.

There's a reason why your NTL (TV) cable is much thicker than your telephone wire. Bandwidth <> contention.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There's a reason why your NTL (TV) cable is much thicker than your telephone wire. Bandwidth <> contention.

That makes no sense. The wire is thicker (and shielded) because it needs to carry vastly more bandwidth then UTP. Just one cable TV channel uses 8 times the total bandwidth available on a telephone cable.

bk wrote:
    That makes no sense. The wire is thicker (and shielded) because it needs to carry vastly more bandwidth then UTP. Just one cable TV channel uses 8 times the total bandwidth available on a telephone cable.

Ok let me elaborate.
    House A has a dsl internet connection with two users.
    House B has an NTL cable conneciton with two users.

A has contention doubled over B because both users have to share the bandwith.

B has much more capactity as two users can have seperate cable frequencies.

• Advertisement

Whats the command for pinging a site ? i want to test my line.

Advertisement