Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Speed Increase info request

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Whats the command for pinging a site ? i want to test my line.

ping www.bbc.co.uk

simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

When i do that the results dissappear before i get to read them.I did an isp speed test and i was getting 2.4 for my 3 meg ntl line,is that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Open up a command prompt window first.
    Start -> Run
    and type "cmd" without the quotes in to the run dialog box.

then use ping from here. Results wont disappear until you type exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

thanks.

D/load U/load Usage(Gb) Monthly
    1000 100 2 €19.99
    2000 200 16 €24.99
    3000 300 30 €29.99
    6000 512 40 €39.99

Official from NTL Marketing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Drapper wrote:
    D/load U/load Usage(Gb) Monthly
    1000 100 2 €19.99
    2000 200 16 €24.99
    3000 300 30 €29.99
    6000 512 40 €39.99

Official from NTL Marketing
    no change in CAP or price for top end - thats crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Anything official online for those speeds?

dlofnep wrote:
    Anything official online for those speeds?

will post later but it is official..............

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

And a date for upgrade?

from tomorrow onwards I believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Slightly dissapointing after all the speculation but still a welcome increase.

cap is the problem !! (guess they will now start charging if you go over), its like giving you a Porche and a 1/4 tank of petrol !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

what would be nice is an online usage checker... if they are going to have caps at all they should provide one - i was used to having one with eircom and it was very handy

id rather have 6meg and it works then 10meg that doesnt... lets hope it goes smoothly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I expected 5Mbits at €49.99 , another meg for a tenner less is jolly decent of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Thats fairly disheartening isnt it :( after all that modem changing for a slight upgrade, doesnt seem worth it tbh, but an increase is an increase :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

TheMonster wrote:
    no change in CAP or price for top end - thats crap
    They only recently reduced the price so they were hardly going to do it again so soon!

Astro1996 wrote:
    Thats fairly disheartening isnt it :( after all that modem changing for a slight upgrade, doesnt seem worth it tbh, but an increase is an increase :cool:
    slight? they just doubled your speed!

2meg to 3meg here, i would have liked to see 1,2,4,6 not 1,2,3,6 but ill take what im given :)

Astro1996 wrote:

double disheartening ?

ok ok im cornered ill back down lol, im only after waking up...wont you let me live :D bring on the upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Those were pretty much the speeds I expected too. If it works, it's a nice product range. They should perhaps have offered a few more options on caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Drapper wrote:
    will post later but it is official..............

K mate, will take your word for it.

Astro1996 wrote:
    2meg to 3meg here, i would have liked to see 1,2,4,6 not 1,2,3,6 but ill take what im given :)

oh well youll still see a nice increase in downloads. I was on eircom 2 meg and it went to 3 meg end of jan and downloads jumped from ~250k to ~360k a second

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While 10m and a larger cap would have been nice, 6m/512k for no extra cost is fabulous. Think about this 512k up was what I was getting down just 3 years ago :)

It also makes it one of the best speed for the money products in Ireland and in some ways even better then the UK, where yes, they have 10m/512k but it costs about €55 per month.

Looking at the speeds, I think NTL are trying to avoid the problems they had in the UK. Most people couldn't get 10m, but most didn't get lower then 6m. Also the caps are probably to try and stop people from going mad and trying to downlaod the net. Once things calm down they might increase the caps in a few months, like they did last year.

I also think that the 1m for €20 is great news for people who just want to get on the internet for as cheap as possible.

IIRC I was only getting about 6Mb when we got the 10Mb upgrade so this is good news in a way. I wonder where NTL will go next, if this is the limit they can provide what will happen? Try up to 10Mb or reduce price or (hopefully) shorten loop lengths?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    I wonder where NTL will go next, if this is the limit they can provide what will happen? Try up to 10Mb or reduce price or (hopefully) shorten loop lengths?

Well they should be able to push it up to 10m over time, however in the long term DOCSIS 3 and sub dividing lcoal nodes is the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

NTL are fairly lax on caps, don't think anyone has ever been pulled up after breaking it...

bk wrote:
    Well they should be able to push it up to 10m over time, however in the long term DOCSIS 3 and sub dividing lcoal nodes is the answer.

Is DOCSIS 3 even being used yet or is it still in development? After upgrading old modems to DOCSIS 2 I would imagine they are hoping to get some use out of them. I would imagine everyone else will be doing an upgrade of some sort in a year.

thewing wrote:
    NTL are fairly lax on caps, don't think anyone has ever been pulled up after breaking it...

ive seen a few people here getting letters concerning cap breaking... dont think its ever gone further then this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

What are we talking?200GB?I'm on the 40GB, and regularly do 100GB..

Advertisement