Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Speed Increase info request

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

no idea on totals, just read a few posts over the last few months
    maybe it was massive?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think it is based on how much impact you are having on the other users on the local node. If other people are getting slow speeds because of you, you will hear from them, otherwise you probably won't (no guarantee).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To anyone who might be disappointed with 6m/512k for €40, I just want to remind you that the closest thing on Eircom is 5m/512k for €200 and from Smart 6m/512k costs €65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bk wrote:
    To anyone who might be disappointed with 6m/512k for €40, I just want to remind you that the closest thing on Eircom is 5m/512k for €200 and from Smart 6m/512k costs €65

Yeah, initially I wasn't too impressed but I knew it was €25 cheaper than Smart and that cheared me up, I wonder if NTL see Smart as their main competition, it would explain that this is apparently happening right after Smart announce their new packages...

I didn't realise Eircom charge so high for 5Mb makes 6 for 39.99 seem a lot nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paulm17781 wrote:
    Yeah, initially I wasn't too impressed but I knew it was €25 cheaper than Smart and that cheared me up, I wonder if NTL see Smart as their main competition, it would explain that this is apparently happening right after Smart announce their new packages...

I didn't realise Eircom charge so high for 5Mb makes 6 for 39.99 seem a lot nicer.

nice balance I think in packages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm slightly disappointed to be honest althought I probably shouldn't be. It was all this talk of 10 meg that had me excited. :D

I thought it might go to 3, 6 and 10 meg packages. I'm only on the 2 meg at the mo so I'll only get a 1 meg increase.

I'm sharing with 2 girls. I'll have to try and convince them to pay that little bit extra. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm kinda dissapointed too, but I think it's better to have stable 6 megs than irratic 10.

And for that price, all in all I think it's great

Thanks for the news Drapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bk wrote:
    While 10m and a larger cap would have been nice, 6m/512k for no extra cost is fabulous. Think about this 512k up was what I was getting down just 3 years ago :)

It also makes it one of the best speed for the money products in Ireland and in some ways even better then the UK, where yes, they have 10m/512k but it costs about €55 per month.

Looking at the speeds, I think NTL are trying to avoid the problems they had in the UK. Most people couldn't get 10m, but most didn't get lower then 6m. Also the caps are probably to try and stop people from going mad and trying to downlaod the net. Once things calm down they might increase the caps in a few months, like they did last year.

I also think that the 1m for €20 is great news for people who just want to get on the internet for as cheap as possible.

I couldn't agree more. I'm happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I have access to a 5Mbit/512k eircom "Business Line" and the MAX I ever get out of it is 540Kbytes/35Kbytes a second.
    That 6/0.5mbit line should bring in 700Kbytes/60Kbytes with ease!!!!

Though there is NO CAP on that eircom CAP remember....so people better not get torrent happy with that line or letters may be the least of your problems!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Damn, and here was me looking forward to seeing 1.0 MByte/second while downloading :P

I guess 720 KB/s will have to do :D (Working based on not quite getting the full 6 megs, but very nearly, like on my 3meg at the moment.)

EDIT: Is it just me having made a typo on the calculator or can that cap be broken in roughly 16 hours ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:

You are forgetting the mandatory cable tv reguirement which costs an extra 19.99 a month - you are also neglecting to point out that the Smart products includes line rental.

dub45 wrote:
    You are forgetting the mandatory cable tv reguirement which costs an extra 19.99 a month - you are also neglecting to point out that the Smart products includes line rental.

Sigh, Dub45 just a few weeks ago you were saying that upgrades weren't coming from NTL, well you were wrong :p

NTL 6m + Analogue TV = €60
    NTL 6m + Analogue TV + 60 channel Digital TV = €65
    NTL 6m + Analogue TV + 120 channel Digital TV = €70
    Smart 6m with no TV service = €65

Even if you don't want the TV service and are only interested in BB, it is still €5 cheaper then Smart.

What if you want multichannel TV with Smart:
    Smart 6m + NTL Analogue TV = €85
    Smart 6m + Sky TV (2 packs) = €86

Or lets look at it including phone calls (which many people don't care about because the use mobiles).

NTL 6m + Analogue TV + Blueface * = €65

* Pay as you go, costs €5, but you actually get €5 worth of calls for that, not with Smart, phone calls are extra on top.

Or spend €10 (total €70) and get unlimited local and national calls at any time. And all of this includes no TV service on Smart.

It doesn't matter how you paint it, NTL works out cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

Good post bk!

bk wrote:
    Sigh, Dub45 just a few weeks ago you were saying that upgrades weren't coming from NTL, well you were wrong :p

Even if you don't want the TV service and are only interested in BB, it is still €5 cheaper then Smart.

What if you want multichannel TV with Smart:
    Smart 6m + NTL Analogue TV = €85
    Smart 6m + Sky TV (2 packs) = €86

Or lets look at it including phone calls (which many people don't care about because the use mobiles).

NTL 6m + Analogue TV + Blueface * = €65

* Pay as you go, costs €5, but you actually get €5 worth of calls for that, not with Smart, phone calls are extra on top.

Or spend €10 (total €70) and get unlimited local and national calls at any time. And all of this includes no TV service on Smart.

It doesn't matter how you paint it, NTL works out cheaper.

For the record I never said that updates were not coming - I dont know where you got that idea? All I pointed out was that all the speculation was pretty useless and I was simply pointing out that you were leaving out the mandatory cable tv charge - which you were and that the Smart price includes line rental which it does. Nothing more nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

don't forget the first year's tv is free with NTL
    and also the first 3mth of b/b is free.

So, for the next year:

Smart 6Mb/512k = €780 inc LR

NTL 6Mb/512k + 17 Analouge Channels = €360
    NTL 6Mb/512k + 50 Digital Channels = €420
    NTL 6Mb/512k + 100 Digital Channels = €480

Of course after the first year (a year's a long time in Boradband!) costs will/might be:
    NTL 6Mb/512k + 17 Analouge Channels = €720
    NTL 6Mb/512k + 50 Digital Channels = €780
    NTL 6Mb/512k + 100 Digital Channels = €840

NTL is the best deal if you don't need require a land line.

full comparision here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51041591#post51041591

don't forget the first year's tv is free with NTL
    and also the first 3mth of b/b is free.

Do NTL extend that to existing cable customers or just to new sign ups?

dub45 wrote:
    Do NTL extend that to existing cable customers or just to new sign ups?

I got it and I was an existing customer (3 years), but it seems to be hit and miss for existing customers.

As I've shown above even without this they are still better value for money.

NTL is the best deal if you don't need require a land line.

And if you are willing to go VoIP, it is still better value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

just called them, it's for brand new customers. Although the first 3mths of b/b are free.
    Yer man said they have different offers for different addresses so like bk above you might get lucky.

bk wrote:
    I got it and I was an existing customer (3 years), but it seems to be hit and miss for existing customers.

As I've shown above even without this they are still better value for money.

I am not disputing the value for money thing at all:)

However it is pretty annoying to learn that it is hit and miss for existing customers - you would think they would have a definite policy on this type of thing (and similarly with the wireless router thing which also seems to be hit and miss)

I have been a customer of NTL and its predecessors basically since they started business and if I did decide to go with them for BB in the future (my line quality wont support much more than 4Mb) it is annoying to think that I might have to start fighting with them over things like treating existing customers the same as newbies.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    However it is pretty annoying to learn that it is hit and miss for existing customers - you would think they would have a definite policy on this type of thing (and similarly with the wireless router thing which also seems to be hit and miss)

Don't tell them I told you this, but a trick that sometimes works, is to cancel NTL and say it is because you are moving out and then get your wife, housemate, etc. to sign up and they may get the offer.

Sometimes just threatening to cancel the TV service will get you the 12 months free, specially if you have Digital or BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is this the latest speculation? Whatever happened to the 10mb rollout last month?

Is this the latest speculation? Whatever happened to the 10mb rollout last month?

It looks like 6m/512k for €40 instead of 10m/512k. I'd say this is because of all the problems NTL had in the UK with the 10m rollout. It looks like they want to avoid that. On the upside 6m/512k costs €40 compared to 10m/512k in the UK costing €55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Perhaps we should wait for the official word from NTL. A lot of fun can be had by spreading NTL rumours on this forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Blaster99 wrote:
    Perhaps we should wait for the official word from NTL. A lot of fun can be had by spreading NTL rumours on this forum.

I was waiting for you to savage NTL , get on with it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Has anyone gotten upgraded yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

It's more of a price change than an upgrade isn't it? Just like the price change earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

It's more of a price change than an upgrade isn't it? Just like the price change earlier this year.

What planet are you on?

How is double the speed for the same price not an upgrade?

3m/300k goes up to 6m/512k with no change in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Look at it this way. They haven't changed their packages - they still have 1/2/3 - but they've added a new package - 6. I'm suggesting that If you're on 2 now and you want 3, you'll need to ring up and move to that package. It's just an optical illusion that the prices are the same as the next package up. It's just another way of looking at it. Sure, the DSL peeps got upgraded without having to do anything but that mightn't necessarily be the way that NTL will do it. You might have to ask to be upgraded. That's all I'm saying.

Advertisement