Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving a Presentation - Nervous!!

• 20-02-2006 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm going to be giving a presentation soon in front of about 7 people. The problem is that I've never done it before and get very nervous for this sort of thing (shaky voice, hands, body!). Does anyone have any tips to combat this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

prepare very very very well and be confident that you can answer any questions they may have. Make sure you know what you're going to say on every slide and get across your points.

Address the audience, there's nothing worse than a mumbler and hard as it may seem be confident, whats the worst that can happem, you make a mistake someone corrects you and you say oh that's correct and move on as if it didn't happen. good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Know about your topic. There's nothing worse than giving a presentation and being blindsided by a question which you absolutely cannot answer. Even if you just have to say "blah, blah, though I'm not sure, I'll have to check up on that", it's better than standing there with a blank look on your face. There is a difference between that and people simply being unable to express themselves in question format. Quite often people will ask question which seem technical and complicated, but they've just worded it poorly. If you get a question that just has you thinking "Uhhh...wtf?" in your head, tell them you don't understand what they're asking you, and ask them to say the question again.

As Vegeta says, prepare very well, know each slide off by heart, and talk to the audience, not to the screen. Also, as he says, again don't allow mistakes to put you off. This isn't an academic lecture or breakthrough being unveiled. You're not expected to know everything down to the finest detail. But remember that you're the one who has the bulk of the knowledge, otherwise the presentation wouldn't be required.

A major place I see people slip up is when someone skips ahead with an advanced question early on. If someone asks a question which you know is covered later on, don't jump forward and try to explain it. Tell them, "OK, we'll come to that a little later, but I'd just like to say a little more about this...", and move on. If you jump ahead you'll lose your place, and your confidence. Keep control of the presentation, and you'll find it much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

I've been doing this thing for years and sometimes you still get a little nervous. As what has been already said, speak clearly, know your material and address the audience. Breath, take your time and pause to reset yourself. If you know the material inside out, you can relax alot more and concentrate on how you are getting it across. As I've said, breath and take your time, it will work for you. Oh, and also get your friends around for a practice session too, works wonders. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

I recommend engaging the audience

ask THEM questions, make them feel like they are part of the presentation

A neat trick since it's such a small group is when you have a presentation up on screen, walk down into the group and stand behind them and continue to talk

the biggest problem I find is boring the hell out of the audience, this is a tricky one to overcome, humour helps but if people are just listening to you they will become disinterested in a very short time

take your time

I remember rule that said something like

Tell them what your going to tell them, Tell them, then tell them what you just told them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Know your material inside out and if you can, perhaps practice in front of some of your mates/workmates first if it's something you haven't done before. Knowing about the stuff you are presenting on is the key. If you're unsure of the content it will be apparent to your audience. I always encourage a question and answer session in the midst of a presentation because otherwise you may find yourself rushing through it at breakneck speed to get the thing finished! If you invite your audience to feel free to stop you at any stage, it engages them more (just make sure you know your stuff!!) Also, if you are doing a PowerPoint presentation or whatever know your PP well. And, a lot of people use the homeopathic remedy Rescue Remedy (in a little bottle you'll be able to get from chemist) to help calm their nerves. Not a sedative or anything so won't wipe you out but may take the edge off you a wee bit. You'll be fine, good luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Act as If"

Know your material, practice your presentation and "act-as-if" you're spokesperson for the confident association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's never easy to stand up and talk, even if you've been doing it for years. Just prepare well, and treat the audience as friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

emmagean wrote:
    I'm going to be giving a presentation soon in front of about 7 people. The problem is that I've never done it before and get very nervous for this sort of thing (shaky voice, hands, body!). Does anyone have any tips to combat this?
    Thanks

I can relate to that, i used to be just like that, and totally froze when giving presentations and the like.. i found putting a stone in my shoe helped...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

just finished a course on facilitation, and watched 14 people give 15 minute presentations.

I'd agree with what other's said (there is a lot of sh1t theory tbh) but don't panic about knowing ever single think off, it can throw you if you do need to deviate in any way. and its ok to make a blunder, just say sorry", or "you'd know it was my first time..."

If you find standing impossbile (re legs shaky) then sit down; I#ve seem nervous people fly thro presentations in this way . (I often sit suggesting I am just one of the group, not some instructor/boss type)
    I know thats not always possible

Have a glass of water in reach in case you get a dry mouth from nerves...
    imagining these people are just mates, and reducing the significance works well, if your able to do that.

re content : definitiely state clearly what your gonna do, then do it, then summarise what u did (tell tem what u're gonna do, do it, tell them what you did). Don't introduce new stuff at the end. feel free to use humour as it naturally occurs to you .

have somethign to eat as normal (breakfast etc) or you'll make yourself feel ill, and remember no one has any interest in judging you at all . and try speak slowly, people often race to get thro it, time it in intervals, like where you shold be every 5 mins (if short presentation ) and practice .

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

emmagean wrote:
    Thanks

I've been through this a few times for college. It very simple.
    Firstly, be well prepared. Know what you're talking about. Bring notes.
    Secondly, take your time. If you are asked a question, stop for a second, collect your toughts and then answer.
    Thirdly, people generally reconise nervousness, don't worry! they'll be cool if you make a slip.
    Finally, remember, you'll always be nervous. Standing up infront of people like that is a really hard thing to do. Just try to canel this nervousness into something positive.

Oh, and Good Luck, You'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Have you tried the old "imagine your audience naked" trick?
    It works as long as your presentation is not geared to a group of pensioners.

But seriously though, as long as you are confident of the topic at hand, you will do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree with everything that has been said. The worst part is the first couple of minutes. After that, you'll be flying it.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yea, as everyone said.. its only the first few minutes that you'll be nervous, you'll find your feet quickly after.

I'm not sure how soon you're going to do this, but if you have the time you could give the presentation in front of some friends/family first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I was sh*tting bricks the first time I had to do this. But once I started I was fine. As Vegeta said prepare very very very well and be confident that you can answer any questions they may have. Also act like your confident and it will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Here's a tip some may disagree with (with presentations and other public speaking/performances), prepare but don't OVER prepare, know your subject well but if you find yourself sticking to a tight script or pre rehearsed sequence, you'll come across as rigid and unfluid, plus you'll become unstuck if someone asks you a question mid speech or if you happen to forget something mid speech.

If you know the subject matter well, you'll feel confident whilst giving the presentation as you'll feel that whatever comes up won't pose a problem to you. As regards to if you're shy (the reason you may be fearing the presentation), it's an old one but why don't you treat the situation as if you're the expert on the matter and the people you are presenting to don't know anything about the subject (putting yourself in a psychological teacher/student role), this may not be the case in reality of course, the people you are presenting to may have phD's in the subject, but if you create an illusion to yourself that you're the expert, you'll feel a lot more confident.

Plus, you could always try the whole "They're naked" thing if all else fails! :)

(this isn't ideal if you find any of the people you're presenting to sexually attractive though :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

dont fight the nerves. except the nerves (old chinnese saying;) )
    but seriously - expect to be nervous, you will go red, you will stutter, and your hands will shake. but after a few moments this will pass and you will settle into your presentation. i see presentations all the time and it happens to at least 70% of people. nobody laughs or whatever, its just natural - people fear talking to their peers more then death!!!
    dont worry about it, you'll be fine after a few minutes and you'll be all the better for it in the end. try and enjoy it (as mad as it sounds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭emmagean

thanks for all the replies guys. some very useful ideas. i might explore the rescue remedy idea as well though have no idea if this will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

If you find your leg is shaking then stand on your toes and press your heel hard against the desk or something else solid. This used happen me years ago when rock climbing and the nerves got me about 30 feet up a cliff and the instructor taught me to press my heel firmly against the rock and the nerves go away.

Different circumstances but the solution is the same, thats what I do now if I am feeling nervous during a presentation.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Try going over you presentation when looking in the mirrior, or better still sit anyone living with you down and give them your presentation, it should get you used to a little anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement