Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car for €27k - VW golf

Options
  • 20-02-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭

Right my 1st car was a 1.2 99 renault clio and am getting rid of it this summar - below is what I was thinking of buying - can comments would be appreciated

1.4L 5dr black sportline
    17" alloys
    fog lamps
    mats
    alarm
    full black leather trim
    centre armrest
    pearl-effect paint (does anyone know if this is worth the extra €450?)
    controls on stearing wheel
    RCD 300 stereo upgrade to 8 speakers

So it all comes to about €27k plus it's a cash deal so i expect to get €1-€2k off this?

Anyway i haven't test drive one yet and not sure about some of the options as the dealership only has the basic models in stock to look at - I've come up with the list from what I've seen around and what i think would be good - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I think the Fifth Gear review said the 1.4 was underpowered - would you consider swapping some of the interior stuff for more engine? It'd also help with the residuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Add 3k and get a 964 model 911. Silver if you can. In 5 years it will still sell for 30k, whereas your Golf will be c15k. Loss of 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

So it all comes to about €27k plus it's a cash deal so i expect to get €1-€2k off this?

A lot of money for very little car to be honest. A 1.6 FSI would be a nicer engine, or a 2.0 TDI even nicer still as it would make it drive fast rather than look fast. You could also be looking at a passat for that money.

The issue of cash discounts has been covered if you look at posts over the psst couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Right my 1st car was a 1.2 99 renault clio and am getting rid of it this summar - below is what I was thinking of buying - can comments would be appreciated

1.4L 5dr black sportline
    17" alloys
    fog lamps
    mats
    alarm
    full black leather trim
    centre armrest
    pearl-effect paint (does anyone know if this is worth the extra €450?)
    controls on stearing wheel
    RCD 300 stereo upgrade to 8 speakers

Anyway i haven't test drive one yet and not sure about some of the options as the dealership only has the basic models in stock to look at - I've come up with the list from what I've seen around and what i think would be good - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

€27k for a 1.4 Golf :eek: That seems like alot of money for a car that size.

I thought the Golf had 8 speakers as standard already?

The perl effect paint is nice but in black the ordinary gloss paint looks good also so I would not bother paying extra for the perl.

Given a choice I would swap the leather seats for air conditioning or climate control, much more useful imo than leather (unless of course you have a young child or two).
    aodh_rua wrote:
    would you consider swapping some of the interior stuff for more engine? It'd also help with the residuals.

May not be true as this class car is dominated in the Irish market mostly by 1.3/1.4 litre engines due to the lower running costs. While the 1.6 FSi would be the ideal choice it will be worth just slightly more than a 1.4 litre in a year or two. This is due mainly to low demand for a larger engine in this market segment. Alot of potenial buyers may not want to pay the extra tax, insurance and fuel on a car that size and they would probably opt for the Passat instead.

If you plan to keep the car for many years then you will get your money's worth and enjoyment out of these options.

But if you plan to change the car in 2 or 3 years time then you will probably loose out as they will add no value to your car at that stage. They will just make it easier to sell and the next owner will be the real person to benefit imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Why pay 27k for an underpowered Golf? the petrol engines have been pointed out to be not the best on the Golf(see TopGear for backup).....buy a 1.9Tdi verision, cousin has one and nice but a bit bouncy for me, I rather the 1.9Tdi Passat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

how about saving a few grand and looking at a new Seat Leon, far better looking car in my opinion and many of the extras you are paying for come as standard, for €27K you would probably get the 2.0L FSI.

As for 1-2K off for cash from a dealer, how about €400 max!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i got a 1.6fsi comfortline automatic tiptronic in non mettalic red for a reasonable 25500 including delivery. no other options were ordered. whatever u do dont buy the 1.6 engine with 102 bhp, believe it or not the 1.4 16valve is a much nicer engine. the fsi is very good also if u have the money, i loved the sportline but its not available in 1.6fsi with the tiptronic auto, only with the old 1.6. crazy or what! also the sportline has no cruise control, rain sensors or lovely chromed reading lights in pod, or a spacesaver spare which u need imho. on the other hand it has lovely recaro type seats that would be at home in a gti and a leather stearing wheel and colour coded handles. pays ur money but the mkv is a lovely car. dont let anyone with a hankering for a skoda or seat tell u otherwise. u get what u pay for and vw put their latest technology firstly into their own cars. thats not to say skoda or seat are not runners, just that the premium u pay is that u are getting a golf, a true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

lomb wrote:
    vw put their latest technology firstly into their own cars.QUOTE]

where did you get that from?

the Seat line is being developed by Audi and the skoda line is following vw, even though they all share the same parts more or less.

How can you say that the latest technology is being put into the golf, when you have to pay for the 'upgrade' to an 8 speaker stereo when it comes as standard in all seats (even the ibiza), cruise control is standard in the leon too, an upgrade on most of the golfs.

You really are blinded buy the now defunct 'VW' = unbeatable german solid engineering argument that may have died with the last generation of the passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

whippet wrote:
    where did you get that from?

the Seat line is being developed by Audi and the skoda line is following vw, even though they all share the same parts more or less.

How can you say that the latest technology is being put into the golf, when you have to pay for the 'upgrade' to an 8 speaker stereo when it comes as standard in all seats (even the ibiza), cruise control is standard in the leon too, an upgrade on most of the golfs.

stuff like 8 speaker radios are irrelevent imho. u can wire 2 speakers up for not alot. when i say technology i mean stuff like new chassis, suspension technology, engine technology, stearing tech
    correct me if im wrong but wasnt vw first in its line up to put multilink rear suspension into its mkv? what about fsi technology? pumpe dusse diesel? servotronic stearing?
    vw does charge a premium and personally i think its scandalous fitting 8valve 1.6 engines to its cars as standard, but they can charge it because people will pay. a seat will always be a seat, a skoda a skoda, and a vw a vw. u are paying for that intangible goodwill as well as the latest chassis and other technology.
    sure look at mercedes, have u seen their prices? mercedes can charge these prices simply because its mercedes-benz. thats that incalcuable thing called goodwill for u.

edit/ incidentally looking at the leon website, the base 1.6 has the old vw 8valver, so for anyone remotely into cars, that leaves only the 2.tdi and 2 liter fsi, neither of which at 30+ grand is cheap, i dont know about u but id rather pay another 5 % and get a golf. probably see twice that back in residuals anyway. vw do though cut back on spec on their cars for stuff like air con which in my opinion is a joke. but what can u do?

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    but wasnt vw first in its line up to put multilink rear suspension into its mkv? what about fsi technology? pumpe dusse diesel? servotronic stearing?

6/7 years after the Ford put it in the focus :)

IIRC the Fabia got the new polo platform before the polo itself (stand to be corrected); while the current A4 is still similar to the old passat. The golf probably was launched a few months before the new Octavia, but they are practically the same car, and both have as much FSI, pumpe dusse, servotronic steering and DSG gearboxes as each other.

I'm not sure if a Golf has any more claim to legendary status than a Corolla or fiesta, since both are around as long (or longer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

twenty seven thousand euros... for a 1.4 wouldnt be the TSi by any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maidhc wrote:
    6/7 years after the Ford put it in the focus :)

Instead of one high pressure pump for the fuel system, each Pumpe Duse injector is its own high pressure pump. What Focus diesel engine from 1999/
    2000 uses this system?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Instead of one high pressure pump for the fuel system, each Pumpe Duse injector is its own high pressure pump. What Focus diesel engine from 1999/
    2000 uses this system?

Sorry, was just referring to the suspension. VW are abandoning the pumpe duse anyhow in favour of common rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd advise you to forego tat like the 17" alloys, the fog lamps and the pearl effect paint and get a/c instead. Air con makes a real difference to the ownership experience, personally speaking I'd never buy a car without it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Golf= overpriced & underpowered. A friend of the family does not feel her 05 golf 1.4 is safe for lugging the family, is bumpy and doesn't have the power to get you out of sticky situations and is changing to a 1.6 jetta. Now regretting that decision because VW dealer's giving crap customer service and she has not yet gotten her car which she ordered to be delivered during 1st week of January. Dealer says cars are gone missing, but it's more likely they didn't order it in the first place

Try Toyota Corolla Sol 1.4 5dr, includes leather, automatic climate control, alarm, rain sensing wipers, sat nav, sunroof, cruise control, armrest, 15" alloys, front & rear curtain airbags. It'll come in round €26k cash and is about the only other car that (if minded) will hold its risiduals as good or better tahn a Golf.

Tho Focus 1.6 Ghia saloon is a good car, but you're talkin over €30k for the spec above.

Drive a corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Golf= overpriced & underpowered. A friend of the family does not feel her 05 golf 1.4 is safe for lugging the family, is bumpy and doesn't have the power to get you out of sticky situations and is changing to a 1.6 jetta. Now regretting that decision because VW dealer's giving crap customer service and she has not yet gotten her car which she ordered to be delivered during 1st week of January. Dealer says cars are gone missing, but it's more likely they didn't order it in the first place

Try Toyota Corolla Sol 1.4 5dr, includes leather, automatic climate control, alarm, rain sensing wipers, sat nav, sunroof, cruise control, armrest, 15" alloys, front & rear curtain airbags. It'll come in round €26k cash and is about the only other car that (if minded) will hold its risiduals as good or better tahn a Golf.

Tho Focus 1.6 Ghia saloon is a good car, but you're talkin over €30k for the spec above.

Drive a corolla

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i think that is a lot of money to spend on a underpowered boring car, one good point would be resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

€27k for a 1.4 Golf, buy yourself the new Civic. Top of the range is €27k with EVERYTHING included.

27,000 for a 1.4 golf :( Thats alot of money for a car that will barely move.

Think of all the really good second hand cars you can for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A little over €19k will buy you 12 month old 1.6 Focus Zetec in perfect condition with low mileage and a factory warranty.

As it transpires, I have one for sale :D

A little over €19k will buy you 12 month old 1.6 Focus Zetec in perfect condition with low mileage and a factory warranty.

As it transpires, I have one for sale :D

what an unusual coincidence.......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    what an unusual coincidence.......

Quite uncanny actually Colm ;)

so, just to recap, it's a 12 month old 1.6 Focus Zetec in perfect condition with low mileage and a factory warranty?

Yep that's it :D A 5 door in Panther Black metallic.

Yep that's it :D A 5 door in Panther Black metallic.

Shameless plugs aside; it would be a much better buy! Colour is impossible to keep clean, but looks fantastic when it is, so much so that it is worth the bit of hassle.

It sounds expensive though for an 05 car. You could still get an *Octavia* for that money! :)

and i hear the octavia's got a big boot, and is better than an "overpriced" Golf. and has better resale value*

(*2 of these may be untrue...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd advise you to forego tat like the 17" alloys, the fog lamps and the pearl effect paint and get a/c instead. Air con makes a real difference to the ownership/QUOTE]

I don't know if I would put a/c into an already underpowerd car, it would make a real difference to ownership if you had to keep knocking it off in order to have enough power to join motorway !

Also, is there some upgrade you can get to the steering wheel?
    No matter what extras you'd have the standard wheel is so plasticky it would make the rest of the dash look bad.

maidhc wrote:
    Shameless plugs aside; it would be a much better buy! Colour is impossible to keep clean, but looks fantastic when it is, so much so that it is worth the bit of hassle.

It sounds expensive though for an 05 car. You could still get an *Octavia* for that money! :)

Thank you. Price wise can you show me another 05 5 door 1.6 Zetec cheaper? I cannot see one anywhere on the web.

p.s. An Octavia is still a Skoda ;)

• Advertisement

An Octavia is still a Skoda ;)

it is not! it is a thinking man's golf!

Advertisement