Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car for €27k - VW golf

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

27k for a 1.4 golf, seriously youd have to be nuts, why do you want an 06 car? if its cars you like have a look and pick one you want, then go back the years until you can afford it and buy a good example, you could get a lovely bmw 320 coupe for that kind of cash 00/01, a proper car

it would break my heart to see someone spend 27k on 1.4 golf, why not try a 04 audi a3 1.6 much nicer looking car and nice interior and peppier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Thank you. Price wise can you show me another 05 5 door 1.6 Zetec cheaper? I cannot see one anywhere on the web.

p.s. An Octavia is still a Skoda ;)

I'm sure that is its value, but if I was paying that much I would go for a new one.

In fairness to the Skoda there is little wrong with it and it is a far sounder proposition than the Golf. I almost bought one, but got tempted by the Focus TDCi.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

maidhc wrote:
    I'm sure that is its value, but if I was paying that much I would go for a new one.

I suppose you pays your money and takes your chance. A new one is €23785 ex. works + €500 dealer delivery charge. I reckon for cash you'd get that for maybe c. €22900 all in.

Against that a lightly used one for the guts of €4000 less is still very attractive.
    Somebody else will have taken the brunt of the initial heavy depreciation, in this case me, but I will have been saved to a point by my Employees discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i was told most new cars lose 20% in year one, some as much as 40% like kia and daewoo or gm or whatever they call themselves. thats alot of money so moral of story is dont sell after a year, keep for minimum of 3 and it balance out to 15% a year for 'good' cars like golfs and small engined mercs. still an awful lot to lose when u think about it. and thats before adding 7% per year for finance if u need/want it. cars are a money pit:o

You could but this second hand porche for a few extra quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Thank you. Price wise can you show me another 05 5 door 1.6 Zetec cheaper? I cannot see one anywhere on the web.

p.s. An Octavia is still a Skoda ;)
    I take it your still trying to sell the Focus??? I'm in a similar position to you in I can buy my car at a discount through an employee purchase scheme.
    I sold my 05 Octavia 1.9 tdi in the weeks leading up to Christmas, put it up on Carzone around the 15th Dec and it was sold 4 days later at the price I wanted. How long have you been trying to sell this car?
    But your right an Octavia is still a Skoda..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Right I've amended what I'm going to get, since I can afford it, can you tell me what you think of the following

Audi a3 1.6L 3dr ambition metallic silver
    Arm rest
    Alarm
    Cup holder
    Metallic paint
    Internal lights package
    Delivery charge
    Total €31,130

and expecting a cash discount of approx €1,630...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Arm rest
    Alarm
    Cup holder
    Metallic paint
    Internal lights package
    Delivery charge

Good old Audi options!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Right I've amended what I'm going to get, since I can afford it, can you tell me what you think of the following

Arm rest
    Alarm
    Cup holder
    Metallic paint
    Internal lights package
    Delivery charge
    Total €31,130

Surely you can get a better discount than that? I would expect a minmium of 2000. How much are the options costing you?

If you can afford it and like the car then fair enough. but just have a look at my thread "cost of running a car" for an idea of how much this might cost you..

Also if I were spending that much on a new car I'd probably go for something in the next class up rather than paying a premum for a smaller car with an Audi badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Put this into perspective:

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Luna 4dr 127bhp
    Dual Zone Climate
    16" Alloys
    9 Airbags
    Traction control
    Armrest
    Cupholder(s)
    Metallic Paint
    Elecric Folding Mirrors
    5 Star Safety

and loads of other stuff for € 30,430

You may scoff at it, but how can a tarted up Golf with an asthmatic 1.6 engine and ridiculously low standard equipment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I wouldn't put you off buying a Golf, once it's diesel. The petrol MkIV's gave problems, don't know if they've been improved, but €27k is a lot for a petrol which has feck all power. I would definately still consider the Golf in a TDI MkIV (with lots of extras and bhp) or V, very realible and holds its value, and it would feel a hell of a lot safer and sturdier than what you did drive, a Clio, you say.

The Focus is a nice car, yes, but I personally would be put off because every second car on the road seems to be one, and I don't like the new styling. They don't feel half as solid as the Golf to drive and seem a much lighter car. They're just boring in my opinion, but still practical and reliable.

Thats just my personal preference but it's your choice and money at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

faigs wrote:
    The Focus is a nice car, yes, but I personally would be put off because every second car on the road seems to be one,.

All the others are golfs :)

A TDI would be a much more sensible investment. I thought Audi had grown out of charging for an armrest! The Avensis is also a sensible option, and I would prefer to be in an accident in one than a golf/a3.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

do you have to buy a new car? would you not get say a 2 yr old a4 with low milage and a diesel engine or turbo pertrol and some nice options?

or heres a 1.6 with leather
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=342317

bit more expensive but hubba!!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=352539

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Arm rest
    Alarm
    Cup holder
    Metallic paint
    Internal lights package
    Delivery charge
    Total €31,130

not to dent your thought of yur potential future pride and joy, but i drove that very car and it was the most dissapointing car ive ever driven , the 8 valve 1.6 is from the mid 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Arm rest
    Alarm
    Cup holder
    Metallic paint
    Internal lights package
    Delivery charge
    Total €31,130

You could probably buy the Golf with the 1.9 TDi engine and spec you originally wanted for this money. It will hold its value very well when you come to trade it in a couple of years time. Used TDi Golfs still fetch silly money irrespective of the mileage on the clock.

That 1.6 litre 8 valve engine in the A3 is obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

@Theboinkmaster - VW Golf = Audi A3 = Audi TT = Seat Leon = Skoda Octavia.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!! except for price. The Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG in Elegance trim with leather as an option is cheaper than the asthmatic A3. Because "you can afford it" should not mean that you are a victim of badge engineering. FFS buy a second hand porsche.

@colm_mcm - you're slagging Henry Ford III for pushing his private sale focus while you push your dealership's blandsmobiles in the same thread?

Advertisement