Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Player eventually stops loading DVDs

• 20-02-2006 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have a Pioneer DVD player, it's fairly decent (won product of the year in What Hi-Fi Magazine). Anyway, the reason I bought it is because of the amount of different media it can read (jpeg, mp3, vcd, etc.).

I've had problems with DVD players refusing to load DVDs after a period of time, but now my pioneer is starting to show signs of this. I have to try and eject the DVD and put it back in about 10 times, then it might play. This happens randomly with DVDs. I tried cleaning the lens, but this has made no difference.

All the DVDs are in mint condition, so there is no problem with scratches. Is there anyone having this problems aswell with other dvd players, or has anyone encountered this problem before?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What have you tried cleaning the lens with? Those Lens discs are useless on some optic drives.

I'd say it could be dirt on the lens, or else it's showing signs of the laser dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

I tried an allsop lens cleaner, although I have never found any cd cleaners to be very good, it's normally the cd's that cause any problems.

You see, my big dilemma is that it can read audio cds, mp3 cds, jpeg cds, but it'll stumble on DVDs. I know that when you put a disc into a DVD player it checks what kind of disc it is first. I think, but I'm probably wrong, that the lens has lost it's focus spot where to read dvds, is there any way I can intialise a DVD players settings?

It sounds like a weird problem, but this has happened to three DVD players that I know of. The annoying thing is, it even happens to expensive €350+ DVD players. My friend got a replacement Yamaha DVD player twice because the same thing happened to it. In the end he had to just get a totally different player.

Advertisement