Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

battery or altenator?

Options
  • 20-02-2006 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey, my battery was dead on Saturday morning, I got a jump start and it was ok from there for the day. I think the cold killed it. Later that day it started again no probelm, and the next morning it started ok, I could hear it was weak, but it got going.

Last night I ran it for 40 minutes outside the house before turning it off and it started ok again this morning. I reckon its the battery thats gone unless anyone thinks otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Yea sound like the battery man as its getting a charge from the alternator check the waters levels before you write it off totally
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

peterk19 wrote:
    Yea sound like the battery man as its getting a charge from the alternator check the waters levels before you write it off totally
    Pete

Cheers, the waters levels? How would that affect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

He means the water levels in the battery !

There needs to be a sufficient amount inside to allow the chemical reaction to creat a charge !

You can usually peel the top off and check, even on sealed batteries !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

MercMad wrote:
    He means the water levels in the battery !

There needs to be a sufficient amount inside to allow the chemical reaction to creat a charge !

You can usually peel the top off and check, even on sealed batteries !

ahhhh that makes more sense! Will check that tonight. new Battery is only €50 anyway. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

Sounds like a new battery is your best bet - in nearly 10 years of car ownership I have never had to top up battery acid (aka "water") levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Arent newer batteries sealed?

I reckon its your battery, check it with a multimeter if in doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

joejoem wrote:
    ahhhh that makes more sense! Will check that tonight. new Battery is only €50 anyway. Thanks for your help.
    That '"water" is sulphuric acid, so don't go spilling or drinking it!!! :eek:
    If you must top it up, use distilled water, available from your local friendly motor factors.
    While you're at the motor factors, forget about the distilled water and just get a new battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Along with the Electrolyte level, check your batt connections, if they are loose and/or corroded, you would have a problem starting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd say it's your battery, if the alternator was gone then running the car would keep draining the battery and it wouldn't start again.

Advertisement