Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies in my attic

Options
  • 20-02-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Every year I ssem to have a nest of flies in my attic (well under the roof). They swarm around the two skylights and even if i leave them open for them to escape they still return!!!

What can I do to get rid of them pernamently or wht could be attracting them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This has come up before here on boards, I seem to remember. They're called cluster flies, or attic flies, and if you Google on them you'll find plenty of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We suffered from this before. Turn's out once they nest once they will keep coming back. In the end we had to get a guy from rentakill to come in. He killed them all with a smoke bomb. Cured the problem, apart form all the dead flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I Hate Flies...!!!!!!!!
    Nuke 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

I had the same problem last year. Millions of the feckers in the attic, attracted by the nice warm air escaping from the uninsulated attic. Simple says I, 'insulate the attic!'
    This didn't work and so i tried a different tack, after consulting the web.

Smoke bombs; marvellous things, but don't pay a guy good money to come to your house to use these, you can do this yourself. They are small pots, not unlike a small plastic bottle you'd get pills in. Some waxy stuff inthe bottom with a fuse/wick sticking out. Put two on a plate and light 'em up. Get out fast and don't go back for a day.
    You may need to do this a number of times, but the smoke pots are cheap - get them at a local Co-op or any such retail outlet.
    You know they are working if you can see several flies on the roof and outside walls of your house, gasping and coughing! (Not joking)

Get some old net curtain and crawl all over your attic in the dark, covering all holes where light can be seen. This is a major pain in the arse but necessary if you want to keep them out. The net will still let air circulate around.

I still can't keep them out of the Velux windows; every time I open them (North facing) in the autumn there are 20 - 30 flies in the grooves and under the flashing.
    I am going to study such a window on the ground and make some covers etc if needs be.
    If any of you have ideas on this (where's RP when you need him!) please post!

Hope this helps,

Rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Get some big a$$ spiders and let them loose up there near the nest.....BIG BIG ONES and then hook up a video camera and record the napalm....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Jesus Im itching all over now after reading about those pesky flies.

Advertisement