Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Contention really starting to kick in?

• 20-02-2006 4:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hey all
    I have been having major problems with my eircom connection since the upgrade, Ive gone on about it alot here since the 21st of January, basically im getting very fluctuating download rates and satellite broadband style pingtimes during peak internet hours on a weekday (5pm-11pm) and most of saturday and sundays. After midnight my connection goes back to being perfect with 10ms pings and download rates of 2.65mb. there hasnt been a day that Ive had perfect internet with 3mb and low pings all day since the upgrade, my friend down the road gets the same as me too but then another friend a bit further away again doesnt.. Ive been onto eircom about this so many times and they keep claiming its my computer which its not coz it effects my xbox360 too, and it aint the modem coz ive tried different ones. Eircom also refuse to call high pingrates a problem to me and say that pingrates does not matter to them, they say that they will downgrade me to 1mb if i want but i know that will not fix my problem as often my download rates in the evening goes down to as bad as 56k. Im wondering is this contention kicking in, it certainly seems like it to me, ive read a few other reports here on boards.ie in recent weeks about others who are suffering similar problems to myself. Is there anyone else here getting similar problems to myself during peak internet times, non business hours?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gonzo wrote:
    hey all
    I have been having major problems with my eircom connection since the upgrade, Ive gone on about it alot here since the 21st of January, basically im getting very fluctuating download rates and satellite broadband style pingtimes during peak internet hours on a weekday (5pm-11pm) and most of saturday and sundays. After midnight my connection goes back to being perfect with 10ms pings and download rates of 2.65mb. there hasnt been a day that Ive had perfect internet with 3mb and low pings all day since the upgrade, my friend down the road gets the same as me too but then another friend a bit further away again doesnt.. Ive been onto eircom about this so many times and they keep claiming its my computer which its not coz it effects my xbox360 too, and it aint the modem coz ive tried different ones. Eircom also refuse to call high pingrates a problem to me and say that pingrates does not matter to them, they say that they will downgrade me to 1mb if i want but i know that will not fix my problem as often my download rates in the evening goes down to as bad as 56k. Im wondering is this contention kicking in, it certainly seems like it to me, ive read a few other reports here on boards.ie in recent weeks about others who are suffering similar problems to myself. Is there anyone else here getting similar problems to myself during peak internet times, non business hours?

Have you checked your line quality at all?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah its petty good.. also eircom did a line check for me and they said its good up to 6.75mbs

SN Margin (dB) 15.54 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 36.56 20.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I can't max out my connection since the upgrade either :(

and I too get constant fluctuations and spikes.

Advertisement