Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time Sky gave up the ghost

Options
  • 20-02-2006 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

As a avid Trek fan I have sat through every episode of every series (except the odd enterprise but cold u blame me) but am I the i only one tired of the way sky just throws on repeats whenever there is a vacant time slot much like the simpsons the episode order seems to make no difference any more and maybe its time to let dead dogs lie

Star Trek RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

They are in order, the thing is that the weekend episodes and the weekday episodes are in their own orders so friday's episodes won't match with saturday's and sunday's etc. Take off the simpsons and trek, eh no thanks, they are two of the only things i watch on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

I love the trek repeats on sky one. I rarely miss the midnightish ones. They just started showing TNG season 1 and it's great! Saves a fortune on buying DVDs! And as mcgarnicle said they are in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The important question is how long more are Sky One going to keep this up??

Until 2030???

I think they should just draw a liner under it and let it be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Somebody please, think of the children. I grew up watching TNG and thought it was great and I consider it to have had a good influence on me. While I don't watch the repeats now I'm sure there's lots of children who watch it now for the first time and love it. And why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I watched it last night and enjoyed it. It's something different and nostalgic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm glad they keep repeating them... saves me having to buy them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Nothing quite beats late night trek on Sky One or the weekend trek-fest they always do when you can't be arsed going out.

Well from Monday week you can enjoy double bill episodes of the second season of Star Trek: Voyager on Five in the UK, broadbase form aorund a 2PM slot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

just watching it on sky 2, the one where they all de evolve.

hangover tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

stp wrote:
    just watching it on sky 2, the one where they all de evolve.

hangover tv.

I'll alwyas remember that esp becuase of my then GF who was also a trekkie was convinced that Riker hadn't deevolved , but had mearly stopped taking his medication :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They should never give it up, man those repeats are goodstuff.
    Darmok and Jilad, at tenagra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

While I don't watch the repeats now I'm sure there's lots of children who watch it now for the first time and love it. And why not?
    Amen to that.
    I never used to watch TNG when it first came out... it was only around ~1995/96 when Sky1 used to run it at 5pm (or was it 4pm?) every weekday that I really got into it... come home from school, stick on StarTrek, lovely jubley.
    So if it wasn't for re-runs I'd never have started watching it at all.
    I still watch it whenever it's on... (just yesterday infact)... though I'd be genuinely shocked if they showed one I hadn't already seen. :/

Looking forward to getting into bed and watching 3 hours of Voyager repeats on Sky1 once it hits 1pm :D (don't ask)

PS. Shaka, when the walls fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I've only ever seen repeats. Don't take that away from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

ehh stupid topic, Trek like many TV's will live on in the world of syndication, and tbh i enjoy the odd repeat when theres nothing new on, especially at night, its waht gets me through the summer nights where you couldnt be bothered going to bed!

and plus yeah, it allows new people to become fans by seeing episodes of series they may have missed.

They have just really kicked Enterprise Syndication up a notch, and i really think they should bring back DS9 again for a while.

Maybe even get the license to the Original Series? twould be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Destructor!!!

Yeah, it's the only one missing from their lineup.
    It's a good filler for the schedule, never gets any criticism (apart from "Contagion" where the guys head explodes, or that one where Data says that the IRA won), and it's nice occasionally to catch an episode I may not have seen in a decade or two.

Wierd to think of TNG as being off the air for over a decade... "Encounter at Farpoint" will be 20 years old next year! Holy CRUD!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

People say that devoting your time to deciphering a language that doesn't exist is sad. I disagree. "Temba, his arms wide!" i say to these special, special individuals.

Behold!
    http://rec.horus.at/startrek/lists/darmok.html

Don't know how many times I've watched the episodes, yet I still enjoy them. Bring back the original though.

+++Edit++++
    P.S. Thanks for reminding me about that episode, Tar.Aldarion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This is Sky we're talking about tho. It's not as if if they take Trek off the air that they're going to put something good on it's place. They'd probably just cram in more Simpsons repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

If youve noticed they are repeating Angel atm as well, and recently removed Buffy from Daily Syndication for thre moment, replacing it with....that stupid f*cking "Little Monsters" game show. wtf??

Now wth do you think they'd put in the place f 2 Trek Series? Probably Ibiza Uncovered or some ****e like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

People say that devoting your time to deciphering a language that doesn't exist is sad. I disagree. "Temba, his arms wide!" i say to these special, special individuals.

Behold!
    http://rec.horus.at/startrek/lists/darmok.html

Don't know how many times I've watched the episodes, yet I still enjoy them. Bring back the original though.

+++Edit++++

and thanks fanny for linking to that page, tis wonderful

well done indeed to Joe Menosky eh Sokath, his eyes uncovered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Nah, repeats are good for the kids - ensures a new gen gets ST exposure.

Otherwise Kiteo, his eyes closed. :(

• Advertisement

Speaking of repeats, I'm getting all lubed up for two hours of Voyager starting at 4:20... or wait, that sounds disgusting, better not put that bit in.

Speaking of repeats, I'm getting all lubed up for two hours of Voyager starting at 4:20... or wait, that sounds disgusting, better not put that bit in.

Going the way of the Jane, eh?

Actually I think Belana is way hotter than Janeway, even with her disfigured klingon forehead.
    Janeway has no lips and sounds like a granny, losing her major points.

But that's all besides the point... I have to lube up to fit into my tight rubber starfleet uniform.

But that's all besides the point... I have to lube up to fit into my tight rubber starfleet uniform.

Ah, reassuringly normal then!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

Kojak wrote:
    The important question is how long more are Sky One going to keep this up??

Until 2030???

I think they should just draw a liner under it and let it be.

cant stop showing tng, its a classic and should last through the ages like shakespeare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Actually I think Belana is way hotter than Janeway, even with her disfigured klingon forehead.

I was quite disappointed to see Belana without her teeth and forehead ridges, she looks much sexier with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Belana is the sex.
    >_>

+++Edit++++
    No problem, what a superb one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Frankly, I'm surprised that using the words "hot" and "Janeway" in the same sentence has not caused major disruption to the very fabric of spacetime.
    Let's face it, Neelix is hotter than J*neway. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I'm surprised that using the words "hot" and "Janeway" in the same sentence has not caused major disruption to the very fabric of spacetime.
    Let's face it, Neelix is hotter than J*neway. :rolleyes:

Zomg... let's not even go there. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

space...the final brazier

sky need to keep showing these, now more than ever.

for three reasons

1 i cant afford to buy them
    2 to make up for ST Enterprise
    3 there arent any new eps...yet
    4 i guarentee that the next major scientific advance will be thanks to those repeats.

Advertisement