Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo hints at Real exit -

• 20-02-2006 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

saw this on RTE sport. I wonder could he be looking for his last big contract. Maybe a move to the premiership. if Henry is going in the summer i'd say arsenal would be interested as would liverpool:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0220/ronaldo.html

FROM RTE:
    Brazil striker Ronaldo has hinted he would leave Real Madrid at the end of the season because of a lack of support from fans at the Bernabeu.

"I've never felt at home at the Bernabeu, the fans have never treated me with affection," the three times World Player of the Year told a news conference on Monday. "The fans have never accepted me.

"The reaction of the fans is something to take into account when thinking about my future. I've always said that I don't want to be where I'm not loved.

"I will make a decision at the end of the season. After all the effort I made to come to this club I don't understand why I'm treated like this. I will decide after the World Cup."

Ronaldo joined Real for €35 million from Inter Milan after the 2002 World Cup and is under contract until 2008.

He was whistled by a section of Real supporters after he failed to score during a 3-0 win over Alaves at the weekend.

Ronaldo's admission was a bombshell on the eve of his side's Champions League knockout tie against Arsenal.

He has been Real's leading scorer in every season since joining the club.

"I've thought about it and spoken with thousands of people and I have never understood why the fans have so little patience with me. As soon as I make an error people jeer me."

He added: "I still haven't thought about leaving Real Madrid yet. At the end of the season I will make a decision. The president knows how I feel and why I'm sad about this.

"I don't know how the fans will react to what I said but to be honest I don't care."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Hmm interesting. He'd be a good signing for Chelsea, I'd say they'd go for him. I imagine if he's going to go Real will battle with Barca for Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Spanish fans are an odd bunch. Ronaldo would be loved in any other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Real fans never took to him simply becasue he is a former Barca player, and there was no real coup involved in his signing, in so far as he didnt go directly from Barca.

From the outset, he was deemed 'fat', slow and lazy. That said, these are the same Real fans who say their club has been in crisis for 5 years, as they have only won the league once is this time. These are also the fans who occupy the Bernabeu, known by other Spanish fans as the theatre for its complete lack of athmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

David19 wrote:
    Hmm interesting. He'd be a good signing for Chelsea, I'd say they'd go for him. I imagine if he's going to go Real will battle with Barca for Henry.

Can't remember where I heard/read it but something is ringing a bell in my mind about Real wanting to sign Adriano in the summer which meant Ronaldo would be surplus to requirements anyway. Would Ronaldo be happy in England though from a climate point of view??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well he didn't join Madrid in their golden years I guess you could say. It's been what, 3, going on 4 years since they won a trophy? I'm sure he'd admit he hasn't been at his world-beating best in his Madrid time, but it's hard to be consistent in an inconsistent team.

• Advertisement

Can't remember where I heard/read it but something is ringing a bell in my mind about Real wanting to sign Adriano in the summer which meant Ronaldo would be surplus to requirements anyway. Would Ronaldo be happy in England though from a climate point of view??

Actually I forgot about Adriano. That would be more likely.
    I'm sure Ronaldo would be happy, he's played in Milan and Eindhoven before. They'd probably be colder than England in the winter. I imagine he'll be looking for a move to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I bet Newcastle will go for him to replace Shearer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

haha i like your thinking evilhomer! imagine that owen and ronaldo up front!!! :D

and before anyone says im crazy, its okay for me to dream!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hopefully he'll join Liverpool and lead them to their 3rd succsessive champions league, forming a 50 goal a season partnership with Robbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Stekelly wrote:
    Hopefully he'll join Liverpool and lead them to their 3rd succsessive champions league, forming a 50 goal a season partnership with Robbie.

He has been linked with us quite recently. Apparently a free transfer was mooted for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Stekelly wrote:

and i thought i was going a bit overboard :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ronaldo, 3 times world player of the year, has been top scorer for Real in *every* season since he's joined. Goal Machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

rondeco wrote:
    He has been linked with us quite recently. Apparently a free transfer was mooted for the summer.
    Is he a free agent in the summer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No, he is a free agent the summer after.
    However his wages are 140k a week, so I'd imagine if he becomes surplus to requirements, they would be willing to let him go on a free, just like Figo.
    That said, they'd be stupid to do so, since Chelsea would happily pay 50 million for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

they will probably try flog him to Chelsea for the money... i'd like to see him back at Inter and he has stated b4 that he loves Inter and he wouldnt mind playing there when he gets older...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

After tonight's performance he won't be going near any of the big teams. What a bad performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

PHB wrote:
    No, he is a free agent the summer after.
    However his wages are 140k a week, so I'd imagine if he becomes surplus to requirements, they would be willing to let him go on a free, just like Figo.
    That said, they'd be stupid to do so, since Chelsea would happily pay 50 million for him.

His contract actually doesn't run out until summer 2008!

Though in fairness yes he has been top scorer every season since joining but I can't help but feel he sold them short. He looks a stone over weight and lazy adn not interested. Looking at the difference in him now than when he was at barca you can see why they would be annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

After tonight's performance he won't be going near any of the big teams. What a bad performance.
    After one bad performance? Errr, no. Most big teams in Italy/England would take him in an instant if they could afford his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ronaldo is still naturally the best striker on the planet. It would be a nightmare for me if he went to Chelsea. In that team he would score 30+ goals a season and pull them further out of reach.

Even though United are sorted for strikers the greedy side of me would love to see him at Old Trafford. He guarantees you goals so there will be a long queue for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Nunu wrote:
    Ronaldo is still naturally the best striker on the planet.

I'd have to disagree with ye there. the best Natural striker on the planet is Henry followed by Shevchenko, Eto, Adriano and ibrahimovich.
    If he was to go to United he'd be third choice striker behind Rooney and RVN.

• Advertisement

I still have faith in Big Ron! The 5 you have mentioned are undoubtedly world class, but I just feel that Ronaldo has another level to him that no other striker currently playing has. Granted, he's not having the greatest of times at the moment but it wouldn't surprise me if he tops the scoring charts at the WC(again). In fact, I'm half expecting it. That's why I hold this view of him because I wouldn't expect any other forward to score plenty of goals at the WC unless they were on hot form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd have to disagree with ye there. the best Natural striker on the planet is Henry followed by Shevchenko, Eto, Adriano and ibrahimovich.

I assume your taking the mic here. Henry the most natural finisher in the world!!! Not even close, he is a great player and a great striker but he is not a natural finisher, he has worked incredably at his game and be coached into the role but you can still see at times the lack of a natural striker about his play.

The most natural finishers in teh business are Sheva, Ronaldo, Eto, Adriano, Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Nunu wrote:
    I still have faith in Big Ron! The 5 you have mentioned are undoubtedly world class, but I just feel that Ronaldo has another level to him that no other striker currently playing has. Granted, he's not having the greatest of times at the moment but it wouldn't surprise me if he tops the scoring charts at the WC(again). In fact, I'm half expecting it. That's why I hold this view of him because I wouldn't expect any other forward to score plenty of goals at the WC unless they were on hot form.

Dont get me wrong. He was the best player in the world for a number of years. He can still score a bagful of goals but he's over weight and in some games he does very little work. I remember there was a statistic going around that the opposition keeper ran more yards in the match than ronaldo did. I see your point about him having another gear though, even if he's not playing well he'll get a few goals. I wonder would Henry score as many as Ronaldo does if he was out of action for a year and put on 2 and a half stone.
    The guy is still a big deal, he has a staff of 20 odd people including his legal team, cook, gardener. He even has his own priest!
    But as far as natural strikers go i'd pick any one of 5 i mentioned there before Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo was the best player of his generation by a mile, but since his move to Real, he has dropped in standerds massively, whiles till getting top scorer in La LIga twice.
    The guy is incredible, and came back from a massive massive injury.

Ronaldo might appear to be lazy, but if you've ever actually watched him in a stadium, you will see that if the ball is in his half, he does nothing, doesn't defend. But the second the ball is coming towards him, he is gone, and has lost his defender. The guy is a genius, and could turn a game with a simple effort from him.

Anyone who says they wouldnt' want him in their team is lying or jealous or doesnt know anything about him, because he is a real talent.

p.s.
    He would easily displace Rooney from the Ruud-Rooney partnership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There is talk of him joining Milan in a few circles, but I don't think it would happen, depends on who the next manager is I sopouse...

If he did join Milan it would be his best chance to regain his fitness levels, Milan are without question the fittest and best trained club in the world because of MilanLab and the Medical/Physio staff at the club is the best group on the planet, if he joined Milan in july he wouldn't start playing firstteam untill october and by then would be in an amazing condition, anyone who doubts that just look at crespos season when he was at Milan on loan, his physical condition was a joke when he join and by october he was in better shape than he ever had been, same can be said for Seedorf, Stam, Pirlo and Nesta when they joined Milan, they improved thier fitness levels.

If Ronaldo wants to be the best again he should seek a move to Milan (providing the new manager wanst him)
    If he wants to keep his wages, stay fat, train when he likes etc... Join Chelsea or Inter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I wonder how much he'd cost, with his fitness issues he'd be a risk to spend money on.

I'd take him at Arsenal though, Van Persie could learn a lot from playing with him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Ronny would walk into any strike force... ive seen some matches he's pld for Real and the balance, speed and shot power he has is amazing...

i was watching a match where he scored a hat-trick and was laughing at some of his goals and hold up play ive never seen anyone else do it bar Ronaldinho...

and his goals record in all his clubs is unpresedented... has anyone playing today have a better goal ratio than him?

in this form do you think he would still get the world player of the year over Ronaldinho?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1787597951335531169&q=Ronaldo

After just watching an hour of Adriano you could say the same about him too. He has been terrible this calender year. They're both still the best in the world when fit and on form.

There's absolutely no team in the world who wouldn't take Ronaldo provided they could afford him, lazy or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Best player ever when on form. And even when he is not playing his absolute best, he still gets top scorer or thereabouts pretty much every year. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

overrated if he wasn't a brazilian we'd a
    have forgotten him years ago. he's over weight, not as sharp as he once was, lets be honest he is on a downward spiral, best years behind him. i don't deny he was one of the all time greats but is living on past glories now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

After a meeting yesterday (Wednesday) the Real Madrid board unanimously agreed to sell Ronaldo in the Summer.

Question is, who'd buy him and what would Real get for him?

Don't forget, for a player who would be one helluva risky signing, his current wages are astronomical.

I was at the Bernabeu, and Ronaldo was clearly overweight and unfit, he basically had no pace whatsoever. Robinho was more of a worry, but out on the left his ability was nullified and Eboue had him in his pocket.
    Frankly, the decision to play a moody, fat and slow Centre-forward was critical to the outcome of the match. For all Kolo + Senderos' faults, they can deal with big, fat, slow b*stards any day.

If he's cheap and takes a massive wage-cut, I still wouldn't take him to Arsenal. Detrimental to team spirit - Jesus, how can anyone want to sign a player who said what he said the day before a massive Champion's League game?!?!

Perfect timing for the Gunners, Real "Ultras" must be fcuking livid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

blu_sonic wrote:
    have forgotten him years ago. he's over weight, not as sharp as he once was, lets be honest he is on a downward spiral, best years behind him. i don't deny he was one of the all time greats but is living on past glories now

Overweight my ass. He always looked like that. He's a short distance sprinter and I have'nt seen a defender able to keep track with him when he does that 5-10m burst of pace that takes him by them. He might look overweight but he carries it. Disinterested he might be, but overweight, no.
    SebtheBum wrote:
    If he's cheap and takes a massive wage-cut, I still wouldn't take him to Arsenal. Detrimental to team spirit - Jesus, how can anyone want to sign a player who said what he said the day before a massive Champion's League game?!?!

There have been a lot worse players. Off the top of my head, Anelka, Van Hooijdonk (sp?) & Diouf, have all acted the prick much worse than Ronaldo and had clubs sign them, none of these are in Ronaldos league, football wise.

he is looking a lot heavier than he did when he was a younger man, i agree with his disintrest i think this playd into his added girth, even beckham stated that real's training regiem is lax at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

We will take him at Shef Wed! Im sure Sturrock wouldnt mind having him up front even if a little bit heavy!!

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    2002/2003 Season :-- Real Madrid (Spain) - 23 goals in 31 games.
    2003/2004 Season :-- Real Madrid (Spain) - 24 goals in 32 games.
    2004/2005 Season :-- Real Madrid (Spain) - 21 goals in 34 games.
    2005/2006 Season :-- Real Madrid (Spain) - 11 goals in 17 games.

i'd fancy that most lay players could rack up a few goals with the team he has around him. he just doesn't look a sharp as he once did, i do feel his best is ehind him. i still feel that any club would be graced with his presence just that he isn't the greatest player in the world anymore, he is better than most strikers in the SPL/EPL and around the world, i admit my inital post was a little strong on his downfall, but come on he's not what he was

edit: ps romario is still banging in the goals he he still world class? what about john hartson top goal scorer goals aren't everything to rate a player by, he's not as compleat as he was

Eirebhoy I was going to make that exact post.

blu_sonic you say he isn't the greatest in the world yet he's better than most strikers in the SPL/EPL and that any club would be blessed with his presence. Wouldn't that automatically make him at least one of the best in the world? He's not as good as he was before his injuries but he's still an excellent striker, the best in the world on his day.

Romario and Hartson aren't scoring goals in one of the best leagues in the world.

SebtheBum wrote:
    After a meeting yesterday (Wednesday) the Real Madrid board unanimously agreed to sell Ronaldo in the Summer

Any link to this info? I haven't heard or read it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Nunu wrote:
    Any link to this info? I haven't heard or read it anywhere else.
    It was in the Spanish sports daily AS which I bought the day after our historic victory (mmmmm... I love how that sounds).

The article was accepted by every news source as being genuine, especially since you must remember that AS is a paper with strong links to the Galacticos and a good gauge of the mood inside the Bernabeu.

However...
    Following a news release published today in Spanish sports daily AS, Real Madrid wishes to specify that the Board of Directors that met yesterday did not discuss, in any way, shape, or form, the future of Ronaldo or of any other player in the Club.

Full text

Still believe AS though. Why would they lie? They are connected with Real and their readership is mainly Real fans. Frankly, Real got caught out, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wasn't it AS who said they'd sign Figo, Zidane and Ronaldo, and also the paper who said they'd sell Figo...

they are usually right about matter concerning comming and goings at Real.

Just to point out i never said ronaldo was crap or a bad player just i didn't think he was as good any more, everyones getting very protective of him. hes a very good player but one who i feel is on the downward slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

It will be fun to see how much he goes for in the summer (If anyone has to pay for him even!) His wage demands will probably put off most teams.

What a player though if a coach can get him fit and interested again!

i don't think getting him fit is the issue he seems compleatly disintrested, remember him at PSV how hungry he was, if a team could get that again, now he would be lethal

blu_sonic wrote:
    Just to point out i never said ronaldo was crap or a bad player just i didn't think he was as good any more, everyones getting very protective of him. hes a very good player but one who i feel is on the downward slope.
    Then you're first post is way over the top. If he wasn't Brazilian we would have forgotten him years ago and he's living on his past glories? A player that guarantees you 2 goals every 3 games in one of the best league's in the world? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Seaneh wrote:
    There is talk of him joining Milan in a few circles, but I don't think it would happen, depends on who the next manager is I sopouse...

If he did join Milan it would be his best chance to regain his fitness levels, Milan are without question the fittest and best trained club in the world because of MilanLab and the Medical/Physio staff at the club is the best group on the planet, if he joined Milan in july he wouldn't start playing firstteam untill october and by then would be in an amazing condition, anyone who doubts that just look at crespos season when he was at Milan on loan, his physical condition was a joke when he join and by october he was in better shape than he ever had been, same can be said for Seedorf, Stam, Pirlo and Nesta when they joined Milan, they improved thier fitness levels.

If Ronaldo wants to be the best again he should seek a move to Milan (providing the new manager wanst him)
    If he wants to keep his wages, stay fat, train when he likes etc... Join Chelsea or Inter.
    Agreed, Milan Lab is fantastic when it comes to players fitness. A fit Ronaldo would be an asset to Milan, I'm sure. Galliani and Sheva have spoken about Ronaldo:
    Milan have already begun making their public appreciation of Ronaldo known, with Vice-President Adriano Galliani revealing in the week that ‘our doors are always open to someone like him,’ while Andriy Shevchenko also expressed his desire to team up with the World Cup winner.

“We can’t overlook a player like him,” he said. “It is clear that Ronaldo needs a new stimulus and in my opinion he is certainly still an excellent striker. This is not an opportunity Milan should miss out on.”
    Links:
    Ronaldo could move to Milan or Inter
    Real deny Ronaldo departure

Advertisement