Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this a scam???????????????????

Options
  • 20-02-2006 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with the same.
    Last week I put a car for Sale on an irish website two days later i was contacted by an english compay saying that the have a business that "locates cars for people for the right price" you know the usual speel.
    They said that they have buyers for my car in my area and basically if i give them 99.99 they'll pass the details on and put my car on their website until it is sold and if someone they send my way buys the car through direct debit through them they'll refund my 99.99.
    So it sounds a bit dodgy to me I was just wondering what you's all thought.
    Cheers.
    OCJ:D

Here's the site http://www.vehiclecenter.co.uk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dodgy I would say, just using B&S and stick on your phone number on windows when you drive around, at weekend leave in built up area with young population(Clonee is great) and you will sell in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Complete and utter 100% Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, definite scam. Do a search for the name (vehiclecenter) here and you'll find some older threads on it. Steer well clear of these cowboys.

They'll keep ringing you though, bastages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I do believe this scam was in the papers not so long ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

there has been a load of threads about cowboys like them recently, run a mile. You will fork out a hundred quid and hear nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If it smells like a turd, and looks like a turd, it's probably a big, steaming....????

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Cheers for the really quick responses!!!
    Thought it was a scam but thought i'd ask around first.
    They weren't getting 99.99 off me anyway.
    Big Nelly i might take u up on that idea ibn in clonee.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ocj wrote:
    Cheers for the really quick responses!!!
    Thought it was a scam but thought i'd ask around first.
    They weren't getting 99.99 off me anyway.
    Big Nelly i might take u up on that idea ibn in clonee.:)

Serious man its a great spot with all the young couples buying house, have sold 4 cars now there from just leaving sitting on the road beside the millhouse there with the number up, make sure nice and clean inside and so on but don't leave out over night. It won't be there in morning.

About to sell my GF Audi A3 and my own Passat so don't be taking my spot

LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

No prob Big Nelly.
    But if my car is there i'll leave plenty of room for ya:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Same crowd contacted me within an hour and a half of putting my car up on carzone.ie .. carzone did mention them in an email with safety tips though, so fair play to them, I still think they could proactively just ban their IPs .. it must be obvious with any decent logging software to see who is trawling through the listings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Fey! wrote:
    If it smells like a turd, and looks like a turd, it's probably a big, steaming....????
    Duck?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Kali wrote:
    Same crowd contacted me within an hour and a half of putting my car up on carzone.ie .. carzone did mention them in an email with safety tips though, so fair play to them, I still think they could proactively just ban their IPs .. it must be obvious with any decent logging software to see who is trawling through the listings.
    That's not so easy if they are on dynamic IPs with the likes of British Telecom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats definte scam,stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Yep, its a scam. that crowd were on one of them watchdog shows recently

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They called me, 3 times.

I emailed the company these people purported to represent as follows:-

Hi,
    I'm selling a car privately in Ireland at the moment, and advertised it in the last few days on a couple of sites on the net.
    I've got 3 calls from people claiming to be from "Motor Help UK" on phone no 0208 4474000 offering to put prospective buyers in touch with me in return for an upfront fee.
    I refused this service, as several internet car sites have reported a possible scam regarding something similar and I was suspicious. Some unfortunates paid money up front and never heard back from the "introducers" despite assurances that "buyers were lined up and ready".
    I intend to report these calls to the relevant authorities here, but before I do was wondering are your company connected with these calls, or is your trading name just being misused.
    You might consider taking whatever action is necessary either way.
    Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I've got 3 calls from people claiming to be from "Motor Help UK" on phone no 0208 4474000 offering to put prospective buyers in touch with me in return for an upfront fee.

I got a call from these guys today, exact same number and all. He sounded dissapointed when I said no .... It sounded busy though in the background, like a callcentre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Exact same as me,three calls three days.
    God love him trying to pernounce the names of the places the buyers were
    Tullamore,trim,niece?? Should have heard it:D .

the mods should make this kind of scam made into a sticky.as loads of people are asking the same question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ocj wrote:
    Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with the same.
    Last week I put a car for Sale on an irish website two days later i was contacted by an english compay saying that the have a business that "locates cars for people for the right price" you know the usual speel.
    They said that they have buyers for my car in my area and basically if i give them 99.99 they'll pass the details on and put my car on their website until it is sold and if someone they send my way buys the car through direct debit through them they'll refund my 99.99.
    So it sounds a bit dodgy to me I was just wondering what you's all thought.
    Cheers.
    OCJ:D

Here's the site http://www.vehiclecenter.co.uk

Yes it is a scam, they've been reported to numerous consumer associations.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got a call from these MotorHelp chancers today.

Was speaking to a nice girl but she was not too great when asked a few "tricky" questions!!

Q1. where did you get my information form?
    Answer: the internet!
    Me: Which Site
    Answer: Hmm Dunno, a resceacher does that

Q2. What price will you be selling my car for (after she told me she has buyers interested in my car at the advertised price!)
    Answer: eh not sure, you will have to tell us how much you are looking for it:rolleyes:
    Me: oh ok, so do you know ANYTHING about my car?
    Answer: muffled laughter

I had a bit of a laugh out of it, work is boring :mad:

But it is a complete SCAM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

my da has a car up in autotrader and he got a call during week from an english crowd called motorhelp who said the exact same that they had buyers for the car... they wanted his credit card details but he wouldnt give it to them, he just told them to send an invoice and he'd send a cheque over.. he hasnt recieved the invoice... then last night he got a call from a private number with a fella with a scouse accent asking if the car was still for sale, he said yes and the bloke hung up...

Sounds quite dodgy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I got 4 calls off these people today alone

MotorHelp UK
    Yep, I got conned too! I was guaranteed my car would be sold within the week, my details would be passed to a large number of people in my area actively looking for the car I was selling, I would get a full refund if my car didn't sell in a week, and I'd get a free trip for 4, again if my car didn't sell. Also £90 of the £99.49 fee would be refunded as soon as the car sold. The advert they placed was wrong. They tried to correct it and got it wrong again. Its still wrong! The peopole I originally dealt with won't take my calls. To anyone thinking of using this company - Don't. You're throwing your money away. Even Dick Turpin wore a mask!!!!

Lots more complaints here:
    http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/3599/companyname/Motorhelpuk.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/mirrorinvestigates/tm_column_date=22092005-name_index.html
    Sharon Griffiths of Neath, South Wales, tells a similar sorry tale. She was cold-called by a "gushing" Motorhelp rep after advertising her motorbike. After thr firm assured her it "would be able to get the full asking price of £1,850", she paid £79.95.

^^^ sounds very similar to the call I got!

STAY CLEAR OF THEM

next time a company like this calls just tell them sorry im not a fool.this is a scam and go **** off. i hate these scammers they are wrecking it for everyone.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

drdre wrote:
    next time a company like this calls just tell them sorry im not a fool.this is a scam and go **** off. i hate these scammers they are wrecking it for everyone.:mad:

yea, but then they just wreck your head defending themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

yea, but then they just wreck your head defending themselves.

Just ask them to hold and carry on with whatever you were doing. At least while they're holding they won't be scamming anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I asked the same quetion on the boards a few weeks back, my dad got one of these calls, the website checks out but why in all fairness would any irish person contact UK to buy a car within 50 miles of them.

yes it is most certainly a scam. the last question they asked was can we have your credit card details for the ad payment.

I nearly grabbed the phone and told them to go f()<k themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Sounds like something the G Ryan show would be intrested in....has anyone emailed them about it? get the word out to all about these crooks....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Anan1 wrote:
    Just ask them to hold and carry on with whatever you were doing. At least while they're holding they won't be scamming anyone else.

must just do that if they ring,

Scam place "blah blah blah blah"
    Me "can you hold please"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I got a call from these kunts as well within 2 hours...yes 2 hours of placing my ad on carzone.

Cockney wnker dude rings and says he has buyers for my exact car, I said thats great but Im not interested, he then says hes not selling anything and Im like, so why did you ring me ??? He again tells me he has buyers for my car and I asked him where he saw my ad and he said the web, I said well if you found it then Im sure all the people that want to buy my car will find it just as easy wont they? He hung up. D1CKHEADS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement