Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught Speeding...

Options
  • 20-02-2006 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Friend got caught speeding the last night which is fair enough...
    The guard got outta the car and told him that he was behind him and saw him breaking hard comin into the corner...
    He then brought my friend into the unmarked car and showed him video fottage from behind and it had his speed...
    Never knew they did that Hmmmmmm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LFCMCGRATH

where did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ronanom wrote:
    The guard got outta the car and told him that he was behind him and saw him breaking hard comin into the corner...
    He then brought my friend into the unmarked car and showed him video fottage from behind and it had his speed...

Nice, hopefully all the Garda get these, works well in UK where they can use as evidence!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That would be VASCAR i would imagine:
    The acronym, vascar, of course means vehicle average speed calculator & recorder, in essence a glorified stopwatch. These devices are mounted in a patrol car’s console, allowing the officer easy access to its controls. Two methods currently exist in using vascar units as speed metering devices. The 1st approach, the more common of the two, requires the officer to drive between two known landmarks & calibrate the instrument over this distance. This then is the preset distance, set into the device, which has to be greater than 0.125 miles but less than or equal to 1 mile. The speedometer of the patrol car acts as a check for the instrument’s accuracy & are usually calibrated accurately at a lab & use a sensor on the vehicle’s rear axle to give a close reading of true vehicle speed. The officer will calibrate the vascar unit prior to timing vehicles when he starts his patrol & will then repeat this procedure before he leaves duty to ensure that the device is still within its calibration range. The patrol car will then be normally positioned close to the landmarks, lying in wait, allowing the officer to time vehicles over this preset distance & since velocity is equal to the ratio of distance & time, the instrument calculates the average speed. Typical scenarios for this method are patrol cars parked on humps of the hard shoulder or bridges of motorways/dual carriageways, lying adjacent to the vascar landmarks, one of which will be usually be a white square painted on the road surface. The 2nd method of using the vascar device for speed metering is by using a prefeed. In this approach it is not the time which is measured but the distance. Once again landmarks are used to calibrate the device & a time is measured to pass the distance between these landmarks at the speed currently in force in the area. This allows the patrol car to be used in either following a vehicle or driving ahead of a vehicle, using the second rear-view mirror, available in traffic patrol cars. The use of speed metering using a Vascar device has its limitations. The visual acuity & the reaction time of an officer play an important role in limiting the accuracy of the device. It also necessary to use the device when in well lit areas & under good weather conditions & is thus useless in fog/snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

LFCMCGRATH wrote:
    where did this happen?

Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the guards are on the ball nowadays, did ur friend get points or a fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ronan - From what i've heard this is a new enough system to be introduced to Ireland. It protects the shades aswell as civilans. It's been in use for years in the US and UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Ronanom wrote:

Some cars must have it a while as that happened to me on the M1 at Monasterboice a few years ago (before M1 at Drogheda was opened). I was being followed (unknowingly) by an unmarked car at about 2 a.m. and he recorded me over a distance of a few miles. He said I was averaging 80 mph and showed me part recording of it. He was very enthusiastic about it and almost seemed like a salesman. He was very pleasant and let me off with a warning. :) I got the impression that he was trying out his new toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Was it a Silver Mondeo? I saw one last week on the Dublin road he had the truck driver in the passenger seat. So I guess they were watching "Da Telly" A few miles up the road there was a Mega Check point, about 7 Gardaí checking out cars....Tax etc...
    They were in Lackagh last week as well, hiding behind the glass recycle bins in the church carpark....very sneaky :)

Advertisement