Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Gerbils

Options
  • 20-02-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm looking into getting a pair of gerbils :)

just wondering if people can recommend a good pet shop / breeder where i could purchase them (Dublin area). Can you buy them young in pet shops generally ? How sure can you be that the pet shop owner sexes them properly ? (don't want to be overun by the little critters :) ).

I've read up on the various gerbil faqs on web, but if anyone has any other advice about getting gerbils in Ireland (buying cage/aquarium and food etc) that would be great !

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Would you consider adopting some rescue gerbils?

I have a trio of boys looking for a home at the moment. I can supply a tank/ cage etc.

Boys1

Boys2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

Your gerbils are hust like one of mine! So cute!!:D
    I got my gerbils from a petshop,two girls but yeah a week later and I had eight gerbils. So know I am very weary about buying them because the amount of cages I have now and they take hours to clean. We had to seperate the boys and girls and put them into different cages but the daddy was neutered so he could stay with his wife!:)
    If I was getting anymore gerbils I would probably buy then off an owner who knows for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

ahh gerbils, you cant beat them, its a pity really :D

only joking, have a pair of tanned coloured ones myself, coming up to two years now, i took a chance when picking them up from a house that they were opposite sexes, basically as i took the first two babies i could catch :) anyway i was lucky as i still only have two, rock and roll (i know)....wouldnt swap them for the world, would highly recommend you getting a pair if you are going to be dedicated, given some time and attention you can really find out how intelligent they can be.

best of luck, and if you can id take the rescued ones above, although i always am of the belief that the ones in petshops are in need of rescue too.

Edit: just some advice really, i keep mine in a cage rather than an aqarium, i moved them to an aqarium once and they didnt seem to like it at all, maybe that was only because they were use to cages. I let them out in the house quite a bit, was always told not to put them in hamster balls for their runs as their tails cause problems. In terms of food, i really only feed them the dried food you can buy, in terms of that there are some bits they never eat, and some bits they go mad for. They love peanuts, but for some reason mine wont take them off me unless the skin is peeled off them, i only use these as treats, i.e. i dont put them in the food bowl. As for sunflower seeds, these are even more of a treat, they go mad for them, but be warned too many are bad for them in terms of giving them the runs etc. They also need various things to chew on, i always throw them the toilet roll things, they mill through them , then various pieces of wood etc, and a bit of sand paper now and then to keep the teeth down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I keep & breed gerbils I have mainly argentes or pied argentes or liliacs selfs & pieds. Tho I am not based in Dublin tho.

Advertisement