Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finglas for a 1st time buyer?

Options
  • 20-02-2006 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi

Am considering looking into buying a house in Finglas as I am a 1st time buyer and can afford the houses there. I have been looking up places like Mellow's Avenue and Casemnt Drive, Anybody got any comments on these places? Am relying on people's thoughts

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I'm living in Finglas myself(Finglas East) and am very happy where I am. Parts of Finglas have got a bit of a reputation as being a bit rough(as is the case with most places these days). My family are living near the places mentioned in the op and have never had any problems really. Would probably be a good idea to take a trip to the areas and get a feel for them. Finglas is very well serviced in terms of public amenities,2 post offices, several pubs, several schools both primary and secondary and is about 10 min drive away from DCU and is also serviced by several buses to and from the city centre 40/A/B/C/D 83 and 19/A aswell as buses to places like Ballymun 17A so is a very handy place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭pauldave

kitycaty wrote:
    hi

Am considering looking into buying a house in Finglas as I am a 1st time buyer and can afford the houses there. I have been looking up places like Mellow's Avenue and Casemnt Drive, Anybody got any comments on these places? Am relying on people's thoughts

K
    Best thing to do is visit the place a few times in the evening/night at different times for a few days. A place can look nice and quiet at day time but could be a different place once darkness falls and the "kids" come out to play.
    Go to the local pubs for a drink to see if its your type of crowd.
    But make sure you do this before you sign on the dotted line................
    Good luck
    PD
    p.s. You could also try the local garda stn and ask if there is any neighbours that you might have issues with as far as anti social behaviour etc ......

PD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kitycaty

i did actually take a trip up one night and came across some horses!Lovely animals to look at but not when there walking past your sitting room window :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

I grew up in Finglas, I moved outta there and still came back to see my relatives and that, then I stopped going back there for a few years, the next time I went there after that, some bandits on horses(I'm not even making this **** up) tried to rob my phone.

Finglas, much like my current residence in Blanch, is a tolerable place to live if you're from there or been there awhile, but they don't like out of towners around them parts. I wouldn't recommend either as a place to live, I assume since you're buying the house you intend perhaps to start a family? Don't sell your kids short.

Thats all I'm sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Marica

Try to get an honest opinion from someone who lives around the roads you're considering. Problems in Finglas can be very localised - sometimes down to one or two nightmare families on a road. My order of preference would be: Finglas East (more expensive because it's a pretty nice area with a greater social mix and nearer the village), Finglas West (mostly ok - especially the older, more settled roads but be careful about neighbours) and as a last resort Finglas South (built later than the other parts so not as well settled, some estates built v cheaply by the Corpo so not great quality, major anti-social behaviour problems in some areas).

If you're a woman buying on your own be prepared for being a bit of a target for local kids as it's kind of unusual in some parts of Finglas. A colleague of mine rented briefly in Finglas South when she arrived in Dublin from the country - beautiful house, handy location, but total nightmare with constant harassment from kids, having wheelie bins stolen or burnt out in the driveway and eventually having a window smashed. She subsequently found out that the two guys who had rented the house before her had left because the local kids decided they must be gay (they weren't, incidentally) and gave them hell. In short, if there's anything that might cause you to stand out even slightly from the local norm, maybe consider somewhere other than Finglas South.

If you can afford Finglas East go for it. Have a look at the new developments up the top of Jamestown Road as well as they're quite reasonably priced. It looks a bit remote at the moment but in a couple of years it won't look like such a building site and the new shopping centre will be open on St Margaret's Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kitycaty

thankfully i will be moving in my bf so hopefully wouldn't stand out too much.Thanks for your comments

Advertisement