Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotshells

Options
  • 17-02-2006 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

just another q but not worth a new thread MOD - Maybe, maybe not!

what is a shot shell
    has anyone used them
    if so what for
    they seem to be a shotgun round for a 22
    chould it take a crow in a tree?

http://www.22ammo.com/shot.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

from what i understand thats basically what they are just a .22 round loaded with pellets. Dont know what they'd do to a barrel rifling though would check that they're alright first. I know a farmer that uses them for shooting rats and pigeons around machinery and sheds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Would they not be useless at longer ranges,negating the advantage of a .22's longer reach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Not very effective, even at close range. They're also a bugger to eject, as the case expands at the business end when fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I reckon you could probably take down a bluebottle with one at close range. For anything bigger than that they're ok for making a bit of noise with the off chance of a pellet connecting.

Rifled barrels make for very crappy patterns, especially with small amounts of shot.

They're good for scaring stray cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is it the same as "ratshot"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Traumadoc wrote:
    Is it the same as "ratshot"?
    I think so. I've also heard it referred to as "dustshot." I'm open to correction on those terms, and whether we're all talking about the same thing.

As can be seen in the link above, some manufacturers use a plastic cap to hold the shot in, and others use a longer crimped brass case.
    It's really designed to work best in a smoothbore barrel, but I've never seen such a firearm chambered in .22LR. The rifling in a regular barrel doesn't do much for shot patterns.

It's pretty commonly available, and is interesting in an "I wonder what this stuff'll do?" kind of way, but don't expect great results much beyond point blank range.
    Of course, if you do have a smoothbore .22, that's a whole 'nother thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

I think so. I've also heard it referred to as "dustshot." I'm open to correction on those terms, and whether we're all talking about the same thing.
    Nope,thats the correct term for it.
    It's really designed to work best in a smoothbore barrel, but I've never seen such a firearm chambered in .22LR. The rifling in a regular barrel doesn't do much for shot patterns.

It is kind of a holdover from the old English gun laws of the FAC/shotgun cert thing.It was cheaper to have a shotgun than a rifle,so you bored out your .22 into a smoothbore thussly getting it on a shotgun cert.Ideal then as a garden gun for injuring pests,but not much else.In a rifled barrel it is next to useless,and wont even penetrate a coke can at 12 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

22-wmr-shotshell.jpg
    The CCI site say they're only effective to 15' :rolleyes:
    Over at rimfirecentral there was a lot of talk about them before and everyone said they're useless - wouldn't mind trying them myself though.

15 feet?If you could get that close you could throw a rock at the vermin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They seem to be used for point blank snake defence a bit, usually from revolvers, but I'd imagine calibres like .38 or 44 are more useful for that kind of job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Ge a derringer in calibre .45 long colt.They will accept .410 2 in shotshells.They are so short that the rifling is immarterial,and that is plenty medicine for snakes of all kinds at close range.

Well its obviously pretty useless in .22..in fact worse than useless,if its not lethal to the animal then its unneccesarily cruel.No 7 shot is small enough,these shells contain no 11 shot!!

Advertisement