Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Banking with Band Of Ireland

Options
  • 20-02-2006 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I heard a story yesterday , my mates friend into Bank Of Ireland( I dont know which one) last week and asked about free banking and was wondering why he had to charge for banking.

The manager was behind the counter and asked him to go into one of the back rooms - like it was a big secret,

But anyway the manager gave him free banking - i presume it was to keep his custom.

But that leads me to believe, that everyone is entitled to free banking but only if you ask for it.

after all Bank of Scotland- ireland are coming now and there are gonna be alot of people going with them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah i think everyone should get free banking like what ptsb did.they changed the way of banking hope the other banks follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I still reckon that if you went into AIB or BOI and talking to a deecision maker, you would get free banking aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Its public knowledge that BOI now offer free banking. There was an advert in the papers months ago with a freephone number.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We get free banking from AIB. Just complained about the charges and they stopped them, that was it ! Occasionally they reinstate them, but we just ring up again and vola, they're refunded and disappear for another year or so. Mind you, we do a fair bit of business with them one way and another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

thegills wrote:
    Its public knowledge that BOI now offer free banking. There was an advert in the papers months ago with a freephone number.
    thegills
    Thats interesting as their site mentions notting about it, but i also taught i heard about free banking from BOI a while back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

What was the freephone number??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I haven't seen any bank charges pop up on my account in a long time now (BOI)...interesting.

Just on a similar note, BOI tried to rip me off with my mortgage rate. Offered me 3.6 when their website said 3.3. I shopped around online and could get 3.1 elsewhere so I rang BOI and asked them to match it. They originally said no so as soon as I went to my branch and inquired about switching they told me to hold off and they'd talk to the mortgage crowd. Sure enough 2 weeks later I got a letter with a renewed 3.1% offer. So enquiring and threatening to switch certainly does work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 madisona

to qualify forthe "free" banking that BOI have available you need to have aminimun balance of €500 at all times plus you need to make 3 internet banking transactions every few months. I never do this as I have standing orders set up for my payments so I closed my account and switched to TSB.

Advertisement