Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a water pump

Options
  • 20-02-2006 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Im looking to fit a pump in my hotpress to service the main bathroom and ensuite.
    I'd prefer to just have the bath/shower pressurised but it would appear that I will need to run some new pipes...

Any advice?
    From looking at the existing system its a bit complicated.
    The main bathroom and ensuite shower hot taps are serviced by the same pipe (which then seems to continue down to the kitchen)
    The ensuite cold shower comes directly from the attic on its own feed.
    The main bathroom cold seems to come from another pipe.

So my "plan" is to run two pipes from the hotpress.
    1 cold, 1 hot through the main bathroom (to service bath) and then continue to the ensuite shower.

Does this make sense?
    Should I use 3/4 or 1/2 pipe? (I assume I can get 3/4 qualpex or similiar?)
    From what Ive seen the pump needs a warix connection to the cylinder, why is this? To prevent air or something?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

get a plumber

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

davelerave wrote:
    get a plumber
    Thanks.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Don't mind him, Greebo.:rolleyes: Sorry I'm no help, but I am very interested; low pressure upstairs means I will have to do something similar, so please let us know how you get on.

Rusty:)

Poeple don't realise the huge amount of jobs they could do themselves, if they did a little research and start small.

hi .i should have said .i think you might save 'trouble' by getting a plumber .maybe not though

davelerave wrote:
    hi .i should have said .i think you might save 'trouble' by getting a plumber .maybe not though
    I think I'd rather save money tbh
    Trouble is fine, just want to make sure I know exactly what Im doing/have a plan before I start.
    Water out of pipes is a bad thing.
    Water turned off for extended periods of time is also a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I'm very interested to find out how you got on and what type of pump you use. I plan over the next few months to gut the bathroom here and put in a suite I was also contemplating putting in a pump cos after I'm finished with the bathroom then I'm attacking the shower room which is conviently located on the other side of the wall and I'm hoping to use the same pump for both.

I won't be getting a plumber cos I know I can handle the job easily there is nothing hard about it.

I read about how to fit a pump in the Collins DIY manual you should consider getting one cos there are loads of handy little hints

GreeBo wrote:
    I think I'd rather save money tbh
    Trouble is fine, just want to make sure I know exactly what Im doing/have a plan before I start.
    Water out of pipes is a bad thing.
    Water turned off for extended periods of time is also a bad thing.
    ahh! i see now you're prepared for trouble.you should do ok so.all i know about those pumps is they're noisy(sometimes) and expensive.prob 3/4 h/c to the bath and 1/2 inch for the shower but i ain't sure.if i see a plumber tomorrow on site i'll ask.plumbing might look simple but theres lots of things to be considered(that you mightn't think)

hi.i asked a plumber this morning .he says for the feed into the pump assuming you're branching into the h/c in the hot press the the pipework back as far as the tank should be inch.for the feed to the bath/mixer you can use 3/4 and then branch off for the mixer in 1/2 inch i think.for the electrics a spur will do you're generally allowed to wire a pump from the immersion circuit anyway.most plumbers seem to use acorn over qualplex .easier to bend

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Hi guys,

I had a new team jetForce 1.5bar pump fitted on monday in my hot press to one shower mixer valve. To be honest im not very impressed with it. A friend of mine has an aqualisa power shower with the pump on the wall in the shower cubicle its far more powerful than mine.

I took a look at the pipe work last nite its 1/2" copper in the hot press with two 90 degree bends and another 90 degree elbow (thats 3 90 degree bends on each pipe i.e. cold and hot) in the attic connecting to 1/2" qualpex. The pipe work is about 10-15 feet long from the pump to the shower. Once the plumber has left i think i'll be pulling the pipe work out and running 3/4" qualpex with as few bends as possible. Its like every thing else in my new build if you want something done right its best to do it your self if u can. Guys coming in on a monday morning couldnt care less just stick it 2gether any old way.

Hey,
    it will be interesting to see if the new pipework makes much of a difference or if the pump is just not powerful enough
    is it noisy?
    what pressure is tha Aqualisa one?

• Advertisement

Cheers for info Dave.

Advertisement