Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRL: 2X03 - "Orientation" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 20-02-2006 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "ORIENTATION" -

Episode Title: "Orientation"
    Airdate: February 20th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

Jack, Locke and Kate learn more secrets about the hatch. Meanwhile, after being beaten and taken captive, Sawyer, Michael and Jin wonder if their captors are fellow survivors or the dreaded "Others." Flashbacks reveals more of Locke's past in this episode as well as the introduction of Helen (guest star Katey Segal) who shakes things up even more with her revealing personality and past.

Next New Episode: 2X04 - "Everybody Hates Hugo" - February 27th 2006

What did you think of "Orientation"? 33 votes

0%
    3%
    eirebhoy 1 vote
    24%
    JBoyle4evaMr_OverlordAnaiyelaEamonnKeanetrishw78SilageWellCulturedAgamemnon 8 votes
    24%
    CrucifixjonskiFaithnachosandy1249Killaqueen!!!BinkaFuzzy_Dunlop 8 votes
    27%
    ManachCreatureElmoEarthhorseyom 1Brando_ieDadesSingingCherrybiko 9 votes
    12%
    weemcddeisedollyfobsrandomname 4 votes
    0%
    6%
    Lagunaregedit 2 votes
    3%
    Amazotheamazing 1 vote
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Oh hey, it's Katey Segal...yet another looming sign of a shark being jumped. Perhaps the presence of a shark was quite the omen after all...

I said this last season - but it's so much more self evident now... 'Lost' seems to be slowly backing itself into a corner, and it's gonna end up in an unsatisfactory climax, much like 'Nip/Tuck'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Sigh, I've said along I was paranoid of Lost becoming a 'conversion' thing. Some man of science you are Jack.
    Anyway, I enjoyed the episode overall, but season two still doesn't really square up against anything from season one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Didn't watch this episode again but i think this is the episode where Jack and Locke have the confrontation regarding whether or not to push the button at the end...

.. i friggin' loved that scene. Rewatched it a load of times.. intense stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

I quite enjoyed this episode, was yards better than the episode last week. loved that scene mentioned between locke and jack. very tense and suspenseful. and i was on the edge of my seat when watching the movie. what was the "incident" that needed the button to be pressed evey 108 minutes? more questions than answers tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

nachos wrote:
    ..more questions than answers tbh!
    I'm sorry but you do realise we're watching 'Lost'.. right? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

i thought they may have thrown us something after the sham that was last weeks episode. another thing i remember from that movie was that he was talking about zoological experiments in the hatch which was followed by a shot of two polar bears fighting? could the polar bears have been put on the island by the scientists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

nachos wrote:
    was yards better than the episode last week.

I agree with you 100%, nachos. I was very disappointed after last week. Now i'm back on the edge of my seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

A good episode this week.

Locke's past always makes for some good acting and interesting scenes. The "Orientation" movie mentioned Barnum (I think) and behaviour experiments. Can't believe Jack caved at the last minute and pressed the button.

The thing about Lost is that certain scenes, such as this week's one where Jack cries in front of Desmond, lose their emotional impact because we're already well aware that Jack married the car crash victim and is now no longer with her. We worked it out weeks ago but somehow the writers' expect this to be catharic. It just doesn't work.

The idea they seem to be hinting at now is that the island is a giant lab where experiments in zoology, pshychology, electro-magnetism and everything else take place. But that nearly seems too obvious. And it can't be that simple, can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Whatever it is it cant be simple....
    But the island does seem to be an experiment, and the zoology experiments make sense, remember the polar bear that shouldnt be in that environment!
    also Desmond got ship wrecked, seems the islands electro magnetism messes with instruments of planes, boats etc..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the video was dated 1996 (according to a mate - i will check it tonight when i get home), which makes it at a max, 10 years old, and the french one has been on the island 16 years. Something in that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Dustbowl

In the Orientation film that they were playing. It said the Dharma Initiative but it also said at the bottom of the screen 3 of 6 and on another screen it said The Swan - Station 3. I take that to mean that there are six hatches not necessary on the Island but maybe around the world. As I imagine that Dharma would be looking around the world for places to research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So mmmm Questions?????????????????????????

1. The Numbers

Hurley said that he met a Vietnam(1957 - 1975) Vet in the Insane Asylum (Mental HealthCare Clinic :rolleyes: ). That was how he got the numbers. Then he went to Australia to find the Vietnam Vet's wife who told him that her husband got the number's from someone else in the Vietnam War and used them to calculate the number of beans in a jar.

Q. Why was the Orientation film based in the 1970's?

The badly done old film was badly done :rolleyes:

2. Locke

Locke remains the most interesting character. How did he become paralysed? I assumed that it was all psychosomatic after his father had used him and that was why he was able to walk on the Island. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

Q. How did he become paralysed? (Okay that will prob spoil it for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

this was by far way better than last weeks I sure it will be be better explained in a recap in through someone elses eyes what Ana Lucia and the "others" are up too are these the people from the aft-section of the plane have they been in battle with the others yet again more questions than answers.

I was thinking the world was a different place 16 years... it was near the end of the cold war the east still didn't trust the west... Does this have anything to do with the hatch??? I was thinking it was an old forgotten Nuclear Misscle silo. But that doesn't figure in electromagnetics or the "unique electromagnetics" of the island. What ever that means?

EDIT: Lost should be re-named QUESTIONS UNANSWERED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Tauren wrote:
    the video was dated 1996 (according to a mate - i will check it tonight when i get home), which makes it at a max, 10 years old, and the french one has been on the island 16 years. Something in that?

The video reel was dated 1980. Anyway, very poor start to the new series in my opinion, episode 1 was a synopsis of what happened in the last episode of the last series with about five to ten minutes fresh material, episode two seemed to want to recap everything that happened in episode 1 plus ten minutes of Sawyer and Michael (how the **** did Jinn get back to the island?!) and how many ****ing times did we have to sit through the scene of Desmond pointing a gun at Locke whilst Jack is pointing a gun at Desmond, ****, we're not American, I usually only need to see things once in a show to take it in.

Episode three, well, whilst I find Terry O'Quinn a great actor and enjoy his characters backstory (mainly because I feel his scenework is tremendous), what was this bloody episode about?, pushing a sequence of buttons and pressing execute on a crusty MAC II... FFS, the Lost writers either have it really thin on the ground plot wise or are taking the piss making a five minute sequence/decision into an hour. The only plot development that holds my interest at the moment is the Sawyer/Michael/Jinn predicament but did anyone else see through Anna Lucia facade, I mean, didn't they notice she was part of the crowd that attacked Mike/Sawyer/Jinn when they got back to the Island?..

The show better start to pick up soon or I'll get pissed off with it like I did with 24 by season 3. I get the distinct impression the tiny amount of plot development each week is not a story nuance but the T.V. networks decision to keep the show running as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Elmo wrote:
    Q. How did he become paralysed? (Okay that will prob spoil it for me)
    with the introduction of a love interest in Locke's backstory I reckon whatever ends up being the thing that causes his paralysis (be it a car crash or whatever) will also kill her. Thus making Locke the "Fate Fanatic" he is now on the Island.
    Laguna wrote:
    but did anyone else see through Anna Lucia facade,
    Yeah, the story of she told about how she survived the plane crash was really poor. That made me suspect her.

Elmo wrote:
    The badly done old film was badly done

Agreed.

It was more like a parody of an educational film from that era than an accurate imitation of one.

Slurms wrote:
    with the introduction of a love interest in Locke's backstory I reckon whatever ends up being the thing that causes his paralysis (be it a car crash or whatever) will also kill her. Thus making Locke the "Fate Fanatic" he is now on the Island.

Don't think so. Wasn't Locke on the phone to Helen shortly before leaving for Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Earthhorse wrote:
    Don't think so. Wasn't Locke on the phone to Helen shortly before leaving for Australia?

Think this was just a phone sex line where he had the woman he was talking to pretend to be 'Helen' (or maybe real Helen ends up with that job, but I doubt it) - she asked him to deposit another $89 for another hour, or something like that). I reckon his relationship goes badly wrong after he winds up paralysed (or because of it), hence the phone sex line call for companionship.

I still think Jack should've stuck to his guns on the countdown. If I was there I'd never have pressed it, because I'd *want* to see what'd happen.

The Dharma film is "(c) 1980 Hanso Foundation", by the way. Anyone spot that Dr Marvin seemed to have a wonky (or missing) arm, just like the guy who turned Kate in? Yet another limb-challenged Lostie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I'm pissed off with lost now. eps 1,2 and 3 all rubbish.
    What happened? It was great in season 1
    One more rubbish episode and i give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I liked it. One slight annoyance was seeing Desmond hold the gun to Locke's head as he talked to Jack for the 3rd time in 3 episodes, but that's just a minor annoyance. I liked the development of Locke's background, makes you wonder how he went from being in a healthy relationship to being paralysed and seeking a relationship with a woman on a help hotline. I thought the Anna Lucia thing was very transparent, and from what everyone who is further up in the series is saying, she's not going to be a very likeable character.
    I did think it was cool though that the symbol that was on the shark appeared at the start of the old video that Locke and Jack were watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Laguna wrote:
    The only plot development that holds my interest at the moment is the Sawyer/Michael/Jinn predicament but did anyone else see through Anna Lucia facade, I mean, didn't they notice she was part of the crowd that attacked Mike/Sawyer/Jinn when they got back to the Island?..
    Sawyer puts it best, I think. "Gosh, I guess I was too busy getting hit in the face with a club."

Seriously, though, was she on the beach when Shaft attacked them? If she was, she was obscured by one of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

I thought it was a good episode. So far i'm happy with season 2. I thought it answered a lot more than i thought it would. We know whats down the hatch, we know what the island is (to a certain extent), we know that other people survived the crash and so on. That said there is a lot of questions!

Did anyone notice that the orientation video was skipping? Dr.Marvin was about to say something then it skipped and he went on about something else... or was it just me?

And what was the deal with Kelvin? The person that helped desmond. How did he die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Did anybody notice in episode 2 of the second series, when Michael and Sawyer are on the raft and the shark is near. We get an underwater shot of the shark swiming by and u THINK there was a Darma logo on him. :confused:

That would confirm the whole scientific experiment basis. But, as said before, would that be TOO obvious? I'm sure that would dissappoint many but Lost isn't trying to trick us out on anything. A LOT of theories around could well be it. There mightn't be any major surprise in here. But then again...erm..it's LOST! There probably is.

And I was concentrating very hard on the video but nothing seems to be there that isn't the basic 'whats going on' apart from the two polar bears (anyone see that?) but I didn't notice the doctors arm looking funny.

Speaking of the polar bears, I agree with nachos. They could be put there by scientests. And the whole 'Station 3' (is it confirmed it said '3 out of six' - i missed that) thing could well mean there are other stations on other islands.

Then of course, there's the others..how did Anna know it was flight 815? What do The Others want? etc. many questions indeed...but I thought the Anna story wasn't told very well.

Why did Desmond run if he thought the world was going to end? "We're all gonna die, btw but I'm gonna run as fast as I can, brother!" - He should have waited til Sayeed came, I think that would have been better. Of course we're going to see more of him - where's he going to go on a friggin island?!! I love his accent though!

Notice that the raft automatically brought them back to the island, and Jin also got there somehow..

Oh and I just love the flashbacks on Locke. Terry is an excellent actor and it's nice to seem a famous face play his girlfriend (remember her in Tucker?!), I can't believe his father is so cruel...we'll have to wait a long while to figure out how he got paralysed though.

Also, another point on Desmond. How come in the end of the first episode/ start of second episode he smiled so evilaly at Jack when pointing a gun at Locke? It seemed that he recognised him straight away yet he doesn't.

Oh, and there's an error I think in the way they repeated the same scenes (you know that whole shenanigan of no fresh material?).

You know at the end of the previous episode Desmond said to Jack

"put down your gun or i'll blow his damn brains out brother!"

at the start of 'Orientations' he said

"put down your gun or i'll blow his damn brains out"

Just an observation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Then of course, there's the others..how did Anna know it was flight 815? What do The Others want? etc. many questions indeed...but I thought the Anna story wasn't told very well.
    Because she was on the plane?
    Why did Desmond run if he thought the world was going to end?
    I thought that was a little odd aswell. Seemed to me like they were just trying to put Des to one side.

You know at the end of the previous episode Desmond said to Jack

"put down your gun or i'll blow his damn brains out brother!"

at the start of 'Orientations' he said

"put down your gun or i'll blow his damn brains out"

Just an observation!

Yeah your right there i noticed that. Anyone else like Desmonds character?

When Jack was talkin to him near the end Des said (irony) "see you in another life" so I'm pretty sure we'll see him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Spoiler:
    Anna Lucia was on the plane. The proof: She talks to Jack at airport flashback in the last episode of the series!

Was a very good episode. The Dharma initative is one good twist. But why have no replacements come since desmond was on the island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Anna Lucia was on the plane. The proof: She talks to Jack at airport flashback in the last episode of the series!

Was a very good episode. The Dharma initative is one good twist. But why have no replacements come since desmond was on the island?

Yeah I was wondering that too. I mean, he can't press the button forever. If what is said is true, than surely they'd send some backups!

Actually, if the whole thing were true I;'m sure some sort of machinery could be created to enter the code and press execute every 100 minutes or so :D

And
    I'm so stupid! I DID say that while watching but everyone else said it wasn't her, and I agreed it didn't look like the actress
    Sorry! i wasn't paying enough attention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

yeah thought it was a good episode. i was thinking that too how stupid it would be for relying on two guys with no contact with the outside world(apparently?) to push the buttons every time without fail, if the world really was gonna end surely they'd try a bit harder to make sure.

yes i did notice the polar bears and the skips in the tape, wonder what those skips are about?

I took an intant disliking to ann lucia, i dont know why. i like desmond but i dotn understand why he needed to run, where was he gonna go?, maybe he is up to something?

isnt it amazing how much more question marks show up in a lost thread??????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

JimmySmith wrote:
    I'm pissed off with lost now. eps 1,2 and 3 all rubbish.
    What happened? It was great in season 1
    One more rubbish episode and i give up.

Trust me you'll give up!

• Advertisement

nd what was the deal with Kelvin? The person that helped desmond. How did he die?

was he not shot charlie, in the first series?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That was Ethan

Sandals wrote:
    Trust me you'll give up!

Ep4 is possibly the weakest of the entire season so far! Jimmy, you really should wait until 2x07 before deciding if the pace is doing your head in. 2x07 is one of the strongest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

doh.ie wrote:
    Ep4 is possibly the weakest of the entire season so far! Jimmy, you really should wait until 2x07 before deciding if the pace is doing your head in. 2x07 is one of the strongest of the season.

So 6 episodes of rubbish :)
    That can't be excused though.
    I think i'll just stop now.
    It was just too painful watching the first 3.

Am I the only one who likes the series so far?

I agree that it was pointless having the dramatic tention of Jack point a Gun at Desmond over 3 episodes (other then to point out that what was happening on the raft was happening at the same time as Locke and co. discover whats underground).

But over all each episode has raised some new questions and removed those questions that haven't been anwser with "no, that isn't going to happen".

That was Ethan

Thank You.

JimmySmith wrote:
    So 6 episodes of rubbish :)
    That can't be excused though.
    I think i'll just stop now.

Nah, it's not that eps 5 and 6 are rubbish (in fact, parts of them are great) - it's just that 2x07 is the next big stand-out episode. Lost appears to only drip-feed the big island revelations every 4-5 episodes, so fans have to get used to smaller doses of the mythology or start investing more in the info given in the flashbacks.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    Am I the only one who likes the series so far?
    Don't worry your not alone. I'm enjoying it too.

But about "Kelvin" he couldn't be Ethan cos he wanted the child but desmond didn't mention anything about a child.

Why is pushing the button a 2 man job? Des was doin it by himself for ages.

Also whats happening with french chick? She has to come back or she'll be apart of a twist or something.

And why are sawyer, jin and mick's captors so aggresive if they are survivors of the crash. Sick?

Silage wrote:
    Why is pushing the button a 2 man job? Des was doin it by himself for ages.

Probably because it was originally envisaged that two people would operate in rotating shifts to ensure tiredness or exhaustion never interfered with the task. Dr Marvin Candle on the film says: "When the alarm sounds, either you or your partner must input the code. It is highly recommended that you and your partner take alternating shifts. In this manner you will stay as fresh and alert [splice] utmost importance that when the alarm sounds the code be entered correctly, and in a timely fashion."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'v seen up to ep 14. Never noticed the polar bears before, nice catch.
    Anyway, don't give up on LOST until you've seen episode 7. I liked the first 3 episodes. Episode 4 and 5 are weak enough though. Ep. 6 picks up a bit and from Ep. 7 on it just keeps getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Just because I've never seen it mentioned on these boards I thought I should mention that there is a shot of the
    Norwegian
    town of
    Narvik
    in the Orientation reel... siginificant? you'd never know with Lost...

(see pic in the link below, didn't do a real link coz the text was showing through the spoiler cover)

I put in spoiler warnings for the people who only want their info from the show...

Advertisement