Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Knockout Stage

• 20-02-2006 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Tuesday, 21 February 2006

Bayern Munich v AC Milan, 19:45
    Benfica v Liverpool, 19:45
    TV3 (oh no!)
    PSV v Lyon, 19:45
    Real Madrid v Arsenal, 19:45
    ITV 1

Wednesday, 22 February 2006

Ajax v Inter Milan, 19:45
    Chelsea v Barcelona, 19:45
    RTE 2
    Rangers v Villarreal, 19:45
    Werder Bremen v Juventus, 19:45

Rafa has said his not going to be happy with an away draw and setting up Liverpool for attacking footie which is good to hear, Benfica meanwhile are in a slump. dropping out of the top 2 for the first time this seaon and not having won a home game in months. Good time to play them.

interesting factiods
    Liverpool are unbeaten for 14 matches in the Champions League since losing 1-0 at AS Monaco in November 2004.

This is the joint fifth longest unbeaten run ever in the Champions League. The English record is held by Manchester United, who have had two unbeaten runs of 16 matches in the competition.

Liverpool have kept a clean sheet in their last five Champions League matches, an English record.

This equals the English record for successive clean sheets set by Chelsea but is still two matches short of the competition record held by AC Milan.

The 489 minutes without conceding a goal is the ninth longest streak in Champions League history. If they stop Benfica scoring for the first 73 minutes of this match, Chelsea's English record of 561 minutes without conceding a goal will be broken.

Liverpool are unbeaten in their last nine European away matches. There have only been nine previous occasions in which a club has been unbeaten for 10+ European away matches. Lazio head the list with an unbeaten run of 15 on the road.

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have a bet on chelsea, Arsenal and Rangers to be knocked out and Liverpool to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

What games are on sky sports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

all except the Liverpool and Arsenal games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ill have my remote at the ready tomorrow definitely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Some great ties for the neutral, I'm delighted that Madrid/Arsenal and Chelsea/Barca are on different nights. Impossible to call though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

would really love to watch the bayern milan game but i think id rather see arsenal hopefully beat real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just looking at the bbc site. Arsenal have half a team to play with.
    Ronaldo is in line to play his first Champions League match of the season when Real Madrid welcome Arsenal in the Champions League last 16 first-leg tie.

They will be without midfielder Pablo Garcia who has a knee injury.

Arsenal have Jose Antonio Reyes back from a badly bruised leg but Emmanuel Adebayor is cup-tied.

Robin van Persie, Dennis Bergkamp, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Gael Clichy, Pascal Cygan, Lauren and Kerrea Gilbert are all missing through injury.
    Though no Cygan is proberly a plus!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Arsenal are seriously hurt with injuries at the moment, but I still except a fun fast game, however I think real will go through.

Benfica are not the pushovers that everyone thinks they are, and I expect them to push Liverpool hard. However I think Liverpool have the edge in it, because of Benficas bad run of form.

Chelsea Barca is going to be great :) I think Barca are going to beat them twice over both legs, and I feel that Chelsea have not been playing very well this year, and will be found out against Barca.

mike65 wrote:
    Just looking at the bbc site. Arsenal have half a team to play with.

Though no Cygan is proberly a plus!

Mike.
    Sky said that there simply 'wasn't a place in the squad' for Van Persie. Makes much more sense that he's injured.
    It's a pitty that Arsenal have so many injuries. On their day, they play great football that's easy on the eyes, as do Madrid. I'd like to see the two of them at full strength.
    On paper it looks like a Madrid win, with them coming into form and Arsenal having so many injuries, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal went through. Doing so poorly in the league, this is everything to them.

Not a place???? :D Sky tsk!

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    Yeah, it left me scratching my head a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Exactly, he's been Arsenal's second best player this season and has been badly missed over the past month. Can't see Arsenal getting through, look at the types of teams they've lost to in the league this year, then look at their injury situation and then look at the team they're playing and i'd say you'll get decent odds on Arsenal going through... or at least you should. I can't see the tie being boring however. Although Henry could run rampage against Real, so I suppose you just never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

So when are United playing? ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

mike65 wrote:
    Tuesday, 21 February 2006

Bayern Munich v AC Milan, 19:45 *Munich to edge a 2-1 lead
    Benfica v Liverpool, 19:45
    TV3 2-0 away win
    PSV v Lyon, 19:45 2-1 obvious
    Real Madrid v Arsenal, 19:45
    ITV 1 4-1

Wednesday, 22 February 2006

Ajax v Inter Milan, 19:45 0-3
    Chelsea v Barcelona, 19:45
    RTE 2 4-3
    Rangers v Villarreal, 19:45 0-2
    Werder Bremen v Juventus, 19:45 0-2

there my predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Brian017 wrote:
    So when are United playing? ;):p

Can we not just drop the taunting please.. They are out of the competition so should be of no concern to this thread..

yeah, united got knocked out early this year, similar to their miserable defeat quiet recently in the Fa Cup, and their poor league form,
    no need to mention them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I can only judge Benfica by what I saw of them in the qualifying group. I thought they were the weakest in defence of the 4 teams, but had the most ability / exciting players in midfield. On their day they could rip anyone apart, but on other days they might just go round in circles and lack penetration. A lot of "fancy dans" in the team.

The Benfica players won't like getting kicked by Hamann, Sissoko, Gerrard. They'll go down early and often, so a lot might depend on whether the ref allows physical challenges (in which case Benfica players might hide) or doesnt and books Liverpool players early, in which case Liverpool will be forced to play more tentatively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sandals wrote:
    there my predictions.
    Are Liverpool not playing at Anfield first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Who are Man U playing ? Wigan ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think Arsenal will be beaten and beaten well. I won't be surprised if they loose by 3 or 4 goals in this one. Their midfield is seriously lacking as of late, and Henry has an ominous look of disinterest.

As for Benfica, I don't think their form is as bad as the picture is being painted. They have won 7 out of their last 10 games in the Portuguese SuperLiga, they also have a full squad to pick from, unlike the game against Manu. Having said that I still expect Liverpool to have too much for them over the 2 legs. I would settle for a 0-1 win tonight or a score draw, with Liverpool to beat them 2-0 at Anfield.

For me the tie of the round has to be Chelsea V Barca. It really is time for Jose to put up or shut. He has been very vocal about his team in this campaign, some would say arrogant, I expect both legs to be very tight with Barca to shade it over the 2 legs. for me Barca are the team everybody has to beat and are my favorites for the CL this year.

• Advertisement

BolBill wrote:
    Who are Man U playing ? Wigan ? :)
    Do you know something. It's comments like this, and the previous one about Manu, that cause threads like this to spiral into a flame fest. Utd are out. we all know it. Start a thread in the thunderdome of just fu*k off. It's not funny or helpful, it's trolling. I should know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I agree, lets drop the United jibes.

There's no reason for ManU to get mentioned at all in this thread. Well, unless you say something like - it should be an easy match for Liverpool tonight, Benfica looked like poor opposition, despite knocking ManU out.

Anyway - I predict 2-0 to Liverpool tonight. Steady as she goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

They said on BBC earlier that we've beaten benifica three of three times and gone on to win the trophy each time - obviously I haven't checked the facts but it'd be cool if it's true. I loved all that crap last year about the last time Ken and Deirdre got married and there was a new pope and a solar eclipse on the same weekend etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

As I'm now a neutral in this competition i'll be watching Real v Arsenal tonight. This game surely will be wide open with some great players on show and hopefully a few goals. I'll also try and watch Milan v Bayern later on if i can.
    To be honest I expect liverpool to beat benfica tonight and in anfield. Benfica aren't a great side and United were a disgrace in europe, any CL team would have beaten them in the groups. hamann, Gerard and alonso returning will be too strong for them

So here's my predictions:

Bayern Munich v AC Milan: 1-1 * Bayern have never been beaten in their new ground.
    Benfica v Liverpool: 1-2 * Liverpool to win comfortably
    PSV v Lyon: 2-2 *Lyon to win over 2 legs
    Real Madrid v Arsenal 3-1 * Robinho & co to take the piss
    Ajax v Inter Milan 1-2 * Inter too strong
    Chelsea v Barcelona 2-2 * A score draw is realistic but i hope barca murder Chelsea in the camp nou
    Rangers v Villarreal 1-1 *Rangers to scrap for a draw
    Werder Bremen v Juventus 1-3 * juve too strong

T V 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

What channel is the Liverpool match on?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    T V 3
    RE*AC*TOR can see into the future!!

Hobart wrote:
    RE*AC*TOR can see into the future!!
    I knew you'd say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool game is also on ITV4 for those with sky digital, no need to suffer watching TV3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Ah ok. I'm in the North, but the local has RTE ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hobart wrote:
    Do you know something. It's comments like this, and the previous one about Manu, that cause threads like this to spiral into a flame fest. Utd are out. we all know it. Start a thread in the thunderdome of just fu*k off. It's not funny or helpful, it's trolling. I should know.

Good Man Bart, sticking up for us united supporters like that, I'm Touched;)

On paper Liverpool have the easiest match of all the English clubs. From a United fans point of view I will be very interested to see how LIverpool fare against Benfica.

Despite all the taunting/banter that goes on here I hope all the English clubs go through.

The Muppet wrote:
    From a United fans point of view I will be very interested to see how LIverpool fare against Benfica.
    Two and a half minutes of football tonight and we should be nearly over the line :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Anybody know of any pubs in Dublin (around town) that'll defo be showing the Liverpool match?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PiE wrote:
    Anybody know of any pubs in Dublin (around town) that'll defo be showing the Liverpool match?

Fraziers on O' Connell Street will have it on.

I dont think Liverpool will win tonight, Benfica are a far better side than the Liverpools fans are giving them credit for and certainly wont be easy. benfica will get at least a draw tonight a feel.

Real will take at least a two goal lead to Highbury. Arsenal have been shocking so far this season. Their defence has been awful, Henry is not playing to his ability and the midfield is poor with the likes of Ljunberg etc who are usually good for a few goals really struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

The Submarine will defo be showing both Arsenal and Liverpool games. I'll be the only person there tonight wearing an Arsenal top i'd say (like last year when we lost out to Bayern).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

All the signs are bad for Arsenal but I'm an eternal optimist so I'll say a 1-1 draw! I think Henry might raise his game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Kingp35 wrote:
    I dont think Liverpool will win tonight, Benfica are a far better side than the Liverpools fans are giving them credit for and certainly wont be easy. benfica will get at least a draw tonight a feel.

I think liverpool will win 1-0 / 2-1 but your right it wont be as easy as it is being made out to be at the moment. As long as the pool get their away goal tonight i'll be confident of them goin through at anfield(& i'll be at this game to see them progress, hopefully:o )

I just think that the pool will have too much in midfield and that Benfica wont be able to deal Crouch in the air. I wouldn't be suprised to see Benitez sticking Sissoko out on the right to take care of Simao and by doing this Gerrard comes into the centre to resume his normal service of rampaging runs

Just made the folowing bets, I rarely bet, do I have a chance? or two?

5 euro Real,Bayern,Liv all to win
    10 euro Real win with -1 handicap
    5 euro goal in 1st half four of real match
    5 euro Real to lead at half time
    5 euro Over 2 goals in Real match,

Predict how many I will win (If any ,")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Sandals wrote:
    Just made the folowing bets, I rarely bet, do I have a chance? or two?

5 euro Real,Bayern,Liv all to win
    10 euro Real win with -1 handicap
    5 euro goal in 1st half four of real match
    5 euro Real to lead at half time
    5 euro Over 2 goals in Real match,

Predict how many I will win (If any ,")

whats the -1 handicap - do Real have to win by 2 or more goals - i'd say your onto a winner there

they have to win by two.
    (or more).

• Advertisement

yom 1 wrote:
    I just think that the pool will have too much in midfield and that Benfica wont be able to deal Crouch in the air. I wouldn't be suprised to see Benitez sticking Sissoko out on the right to take care of Simao and by doing this Gerrard comes into the centre to resume his normal service of rampaging runs

Benficas midfield is the best thing about them. They have excellent wingers, something Liverpool are lacking on the right, and in Petit they have an excellent player to do all the hard work of winning the ball and passing it about. Remember that Benfica were missing their best players when they beat Man U. They are vulnerable at the back although ALL Liverpool strikers are average at best and I cant see any of them scoring tonight. They will be relying on the midfield to score I feel.

Kingp35 wrote:
    They will be relying on the midfield to score I feel.
    Well it's their turn I guess - defence got the winner against Arsenal and a forward got the winner against united. Unless Rena comes forward and bags one.

Wonder if Fowler will be on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Sandals wrote:
    yeah, united got knocked out early this year, similar to their miserable defeat quiet recently in the Fa Cup, and their poor league form,
    no need to mention them here.

only a liverpool fan could turn their clubs first victory over us in the fa cup in 85 years into something to be proub of, if your lucky we might let you have another one in 2091.

and our poor league form has us ahead of your lot by 3 points same number of games played despite the worst injury run in years, if our league form is poor liverpools is muck.

as regards liverpool fans taunting utd about the champs league. well all I can say to that is we never had to have the rules changed to let us in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

only a liverpool fan could turn their clubs first victory over us in the fa cup in 85 years into something to be proub of, if your lucky we might let you have another one in 2091.

we? because you yourself have any influence on results anywhere other than the phoenix park if ur lucky?
    and our poor league form has us ahead of your lot by 3 points same number of games played despite the worst injury run in years, if our league form is poor liverpools is muck

tonight will be pools 45th game or so, being 3 points off 2nd place isnt bad in my books considering. pool will have played alot more games than utd by the end of the season, so....if liverpool DO finish 2nd....what will that make utd look like?
    as regards liverpool fans taunting utd about the champs league. well all I can say to that is we never had to have the rules changed to let us in!

maybe utd were never interesting enough for anyone to want to see them that badly?

Guys drop it. Please. Tonight and tomorrow night are Manchester Bucaneer free zones.

Arsenal to get whopped ay a goal or 3 and Liverpool to have a comfy enough
    1 goal margin win.

Mike.

el rabitos wrote:
    we? because you yourself have any influence on results anywhere other than the phoenix park if ur lucky?

tonight will be pools 45th game or so, being 3 points off 2nd place isnt bad in my books considering. pool will have played alot more games than utd by the end of the season, so....if liverpool DO finish 2nd....what will that make utd look like?

maybe utd were never interesting enough for anyone to want to see them that badly?

The whole "we" thing, apologies for feeling a decade of support entitles me to some sort of identity in future I will refer to the club as they.

I was merely pointing out how ridiculous it was to claim utds league form is poor when they are 2nd in the league and doing better than liverpool, a point that I assume you are in agreement with from your post.

utd didnt need to be interesting enough they allways qualify fairly

and our poor league form has us ahead of your lot by 3 points same number of games played despite the worst injury run in years, if our league form is poor liverpools is muck.

I am a Chelsea fan.

Burn.

Sandals wrote:
    Burn.

nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

The whole "we" thing, apologies for feeling a decade of support entitles me to some sort of identity in future I will refer to the club as they.

I was merely pointing out how ridiculous it was to claim utds league form is poor when they are 2nd in the league and doing better than liverpool, a point that I assume you are in agreement with from your post.

i'm all for the whole "we" thing. as in "we're a club on the up" "we deserved to win that game"

saying "we" might let u win a match in 91 years or whatever is a bit on the daft side imo.

i never said uniteds league form was poor. they play piss poor fairly often and scrape results and if liverpool got the points more often after a poor game they'd be strides ahead of united, but they're not. but its something that can be worked on with the current squad.

but, domintating teams and controlling play is not something united can work on to any great effect with their squad imo. and i think thats why very few liverpool fans would be worried about united lately.
    utd didnt need to be interesting enough they allways qualify fairly

did liverpool not win the champions league fairly? would united fans not be pissing and crying and moaning and protesting if it was united that was in that same position last year? (insert united fan here saying "oh but we wouldnt have finished 5th, glory glory man united, LEGEND, legend etc...)

its an old arguement now, as is the whole refering to teams as "we"

el rabitos wrote:
    i'm all for the whole "we" thing. as in "we're a club on the up" "we deserved to win that game"

saying "we" might let u win a match in 91 years or whatever is a bit on the daft side imo.

i never said uniteds league form was poor. they play piss poor fairly often and scrape results and if liverpool got the points more often after a poor game they'd be strides ahead of united, but they're not. but its something that can be worked on with the current squad.

but, domintating teams and controlling play is not something united can work on to any great effect with their squad imo. and i think thats why very few liverpool fans would be worried about united lately.

did liverpool not win the champions league fairly? would united fans not be pissing and crying and moaning and protesting if it was united that was in that same position last year? (insert united fan here saying "oh but we wouldnt have finished 5th, glory glory man united, LEGEND, legend etc...)

its an old arguement now, as is the whole refering to teams as "we"

yes thay won it fairly and incidentally had my full support in the final, and I think that champions should be allowed to defend their title however that wasnt the case so far as the rules went.

And no we wouldnt have finished fifth.

And the league doesnt lie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement