Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Knockout Stage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

what was the arsenal game like? and the team selection ftm?

excellent win for them.

another loss when we were the better team in a very poor game but pld Benfica, they took the only chance that occurred in the game.

Sez oodles about both teams tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

What a load of tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Liverpool fans are quiet...

Anyway, well done to Arsenal - played with great heart tonight... and let's face it, they needed this performance. Even if they go out now(which still seems somewhat likely to me, though I hope I'm wrong), it won't be with a whimper anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

TV3 are just talking bull****, saying what people want to hear.
    Benfica beat United, Lille, and drew away with Villarael and just beat Liverpool.
    They are a good team, who are no pushover, and it will be a tough match for Liverpool at Anfield, especially since they have to go for it, which isn't something Liverpool like to do. they play like Liverpool do, and make the other team look absolute ****e, even if they aren't. Both teams cancelled each other out tonight,

I barely watched the game cause it was so boring, but it appeared neither team went for it, and Benfica scored on their set pieces.

---

Elsewhere,
    Arsenal were ****ing fantastic, and throughly deserved their win.
    Real Madrid to me, were like 1 level behind scoring 4 goals, with decent chances that just weren't being taken properly, with touches letting htem down. Woodgate was a huge loss, and Arsenal ripped their defence apart.
    its going to be a very very interesting match in the other leg, with Real Madrid going more all out attack than usual, always entertaining :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am ecstatic for Liverpool, wat a game , I am absolutely delighted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well what are all you Liverpool fans saying now who said it will be a walk in the park. So many of you were saying it would be 0-2 or 1-2 to Liverpool. I told you Benfica were being underestimated and that they would get at least a draw out of the match. I love being right :D

Also my tip Lyon win 1-0 so im a happy camper

Also well done to Arsenal, they played very well and could have won by more. Great result by them and it was totally unexpected by me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Deserved win for Arsenal. Madrid were awful.
    Ronaldo having a go at the fans yesterday, no wonder they criticise him if he puts in performances like that. He looked lazy and un-motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's not like we were played off the pitch by benfica...cant see how they were underestimated tbh.
    Twas a set piece goal and sloppy defending.

*shrug*
    Ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Oh, makes the return leg a little more interesting at Anfield, wp to Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Delighted for arsenal.:D

• Advertisement

NoelRock wrote:
    TV3 summed it up really: Liverpool lost to an inadequate team.
    How are they inadequete? They deserve to be in the last 16 as much as Liverpool do. They are no pushovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Zonal marking rears it's ugly head again. What was finnan doing, leaving hypia on his own at the back? They probably weren't expecting a good ball to be whipped in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Kingp35 wrote:
    Well what are all you Liverpool fans saying now who said it will be a walk in the park. So many of you were saying it would be 0-2 or 1-2 to Liverpool. I told you Benfica were being underestimated and that they would get at least a draw out of the match. I love being right :D

Well you're clearly a football guru! Wait no.

Benfica were never underestimated by Liverpool... if anything Liverpool completely over-estimated them and showed them far too much respect. The game was there for Liverpool's taking if they had applied themselves. Oh well.

Well done Arsenal, just the kinda thing they need to boost their season.
    Zonal marking rears it's ugly head again. What was finnan doing, leaving hypia on his own at the back? They probably weren't expecting a good ball to be whipped in.
    Oh here we go again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey we conceeded a goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Its a pity but I'm not panicking (yet) the free kick was a cuning one> I, like everyone else was expecting it to land in row Z but it was nicely worked.

Cisse added nothing really, Gerrard comming on was curious as he did'nt look like he was in any way injured. Rafa made an error with the formation - if he was going for attack he should have put on an attacking formation. If not then it should have been something like the one I posted earlier.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

kaimera wrote:
    it's not like we were played off the pitch by benfica...cant see how they were underestimated tbh.
    Twas a set piece goal and sloppy defending.

Underestimated in the sense that all Liverpool fans said they would win the game tonight. I said they wouldnt because Benfica are a much better side than they are given credit for.

How are they inadequete? They deserve to be in the last 16 as much as Liverpool do. They are no pushovers.

They didn't play well - but neither did Liverpool.

[Joke] They don't deserve it as much as Liverpool do, I mean, how hard is it to knock United out of a cup competition these days? [/Joke]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Then you can feel all smug Kingp35!

Mike.

ps - once was enough! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

interesting second legs ahead. The two results tonight would probably have been the opposite of what pretty much everybody was expecting. Liverpool's 14 game unbeaten run in europe coming to an end, and Arsenal getting a result at Real's home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

[Joke] A lot less difficult than beating them in the league it would appear [/Joke]
    :D

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Then you can feel all smug Kingp35!

Mike.

ps - once was enough! :D

Thank you :D

NoelRock wrote:
    They didn't play well - but neither did Liverpool.

[Joke] They don't deserve it as much as Liverpool do, I mean, how hard is it to knock United out of a cup competition these days? [/Joke]
    Not much easier than it is to do Liverpool...just ask Crystal Palace :)

PHB wrote:
    [Joke] A lot less difficult than beating them in the league it would appear [/Joke]
    :D

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Just got a text from an Arsenal fan:

U can only dream of a result like that enjoy ur sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

good one arsenal got my money back on the 'pool game and a bit extra! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

How does that song go again,,,,,

oh yeah

BORING, BORING ARSENAL! :D:D:D

Has to be our best European result in our history.
    We out played them and could/should have won 2 or 3 nil!
    Let's hope we can keep playing like that.
    I hear Paris in lovley in May ;)

• Advertisement

I hate Arsenal with all my heart , but credit where credit is due, well done. Magnificent performance by Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

here we go again, all the anti liverpool fans coming on slagging liverpool.:D

We still have the second leg to come so hopefully we can pull it off in front of the kop like we did against a certain side at the weekend.

Well done to arsenal, that was a fantastic result against a strong madrid side. That result could be the spring they need.

Its only banter like,

Liverpool fans hate Man U fans (Vice Versa)
    Arsenal fans hate Man U fans (Vice Versa)

There is nout u can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Yeah, and Chelsea fans.

Yup Chelsea fans are included that and other fans. People around here need to get a grip when talking about matches, there is always going to be banter about rival teams, thats what makes footy so great. Thankfully the Pool Vs Man U thread went off without incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Willem D wrote:
    Yup Chelsea fans are included that and other fans. People around here need to get a grip when talking about matches, there is always going to be banter about rival teams, thats what makes footy so great. Thankfully the Pool Vs Man U thread went off without incident.

No anyone is allowed to use the internet and the other thread was locked and rightly so.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Good win for the Arsenal.. Liverpool still have a very good chance to go through..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Did Robbie Fowler even touch the ball during the game?

Poor enough game I thought.

Liverpool missed Gerrard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

****ing about time!!!!
    Arsenal become the first english club to beat Real Madrid at home.

What a night. Wanted the game to be over by the 48th minute.:)

They deserved it and to be fair should have been a bit more but ill take the 0-1.

Keeping a clean sheet against Real Madrid at home with 3/4 of the first teams defense missing is some achievement.

Reyes was fantastic, Ljundberg very lively (needs to start scoring though)and Cesc was my MOTM.

He ran the midfield at times. Everything Arsenal out forward came through him. A brilliant football brain for such a young lad.

Henry, well I thought he would just go into a corner and disappear as he did against Liverpool. But he is world class no doubt about it! What a great goal it was too!

Also a big shout for Eboue. Looks like he could make that right back his in a year or too.

Helb too impressed but some of his passes were off.

Hats off to Wenger too for believeing that they could pull this off. He made his teams believe it!!!

2 weeks now to get some of Arsenal's first team players back to full fitness.
    Sol, Cole, Bergkamp and Van Persie will hopefully be back and feature for the tie.

They needed this as someone pointed out. 4th place is still very much acheiveable knowing that with a bit of confidence they can pull together a few wins.

Of course Arsenal are going to win the CL so its not going to make a difference anyway!

Didnt see the liverpool mathc but its clear that they are lacking an attacking element. Rafa needs to get the best out of his strikers and play Gerard in every mathc if they are to grow as a team.
    Willem D wrote:
    Its only banter like,

Liverpool fans hate Man U fans (Vice Versa)
    Arsenal fans hate Man U fans (Vice Versa)

There is nout u can do about it.

Why are you even on here? None on the teams concern you, but you still try and stir it up with your "banter"! None of your posts are constructive or give an insight into the games. All you can say is "I hate liverpool so Im delighted!" Ive said this before, that your just immature.
    Grow up for **** sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Liverpool have an uphill struggle to go through now. They have to go at Benfica in the next leg who can afford to sit back and play on the break knowing an away goal will probably be be enough to see them through.

Fair play to the Gunners considering the season they are having that was an excellent result. Nice to see their supporters posting again .;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

On a more sensible note than Jank's post above, I too am delighted with the Arsenal result. Its amazing what happened just after the goal - the confidence and the football just began to flow like the good old days. There were times when Ljungberg, Henry, Reyes, and Fabregas looked like they were just taunting Madrid. The only downside to tonight's performance was that we didn't win by more - we certainly had the chances!

But more than tonight's match, I think the performance will give enormous confidence to the lads, which will hopefully set them back on the right track in the Premiership. If we can get a run of 3 or 4 wins together, then the team will really start to shine.

I thought Fabregas was brilliant, but Freddie Ljungberg was my man of the match tonight - immense. A clean sheet on Kolo's return too, which was good to see.

Why are you even on here? None on the teams concern you, but you still try and stir it up with your "banter"! None of your posts are constructive or give an insight into the games. All you can say is "I hate liverpool so Im delighted!" Ive said this before, that your just immature.
    Grow up for **** sake.

You have simply taken a dislike to me after a few weeks ago, I went as far to complement Arsenal tonight they were amazing. Jank I am willing to let sleeping dogs lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Missed reason why Stevie G didnt start can someone fill me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Liverpool are playing benfica at anfield so hopefully we can get 2 goals to go through:D If playing in front of the Kop cant inspire liverpool then they are doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I predicted 1-1 draw for Arsenal and my optimism seemed to have some foundation! Fantastic team performance by Arsenal with not a bad performance among the team. I agree we could, and should have won by more but I'm not complaining about the result.
    Apart from that one chance by Beckham they really didn't threaten and spent most of the time lobbing balls into the box. Fair play to Lehmann, dealt with everything that came his way.
    My man of the match would have to be Eboue though. Got to just about everything and made a lot of clearances. On tonights performance, would be a better choice than Lauren.

Still think the return leg will be very tough but should have few more players back, maybe Ashley Cole, though Flamini was very good tonight.
    Don't even know if I'll get to see it as I'll be in Sydney in two weeks. Unlikely to see it anywhere at 5.45am or so I'd imagine. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Not a terrible result for Liverpool to be honest. They'll fancy themselves big time at Anfield. I think a couple of Liverpool fans are guilty of expecting a little too much from their team (and in particular Fowler who is a squad player at best these days) but they'll need to go all out in the return leg, Benfica are a tidy little side and are not to be under estimated.

Fair play to Arsenal, although it was a brave man that had a bet on them tonight. I'd like to see them progress a bit further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

The Liverpool game was a shock too, 2 upsets tonight then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lads jus tin from the pub. Over the moon. what a win. That was the real Arsenal tonight. They have played with the passion that the shirt deserves. Many players deserve a mention, Eboue: the whole night had Robinho in the pocket, Ljungberg: got well and truly stuck in, Reyes: played very well, Henry: what a goal!!!!, Toure :My man of the match, Cesc: coming of age performance, Gilberto: Credit where credits due, some of hius performances this season have been woeful, but he did get stuck in tonight, Lehmann: some lovely saves(especially from Beckham, and r.Carlos), Hleb: I was calling him Pleb all night, but overall he actually played well, Flamini: out of position but got the important tackles in, Senderos: got the important challenges in, delighted that we kept a clean sheet.
    ALthough we well and truly have the advantage in the second leg, It would not be wise to write Real's chances off. After all they nearly did come back against Zaragoza.
    Now if we cold only take this form into the Premiership, the race for fourth would be over. Henry hopefuly will sign providing we finsh the job off at Highbury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

I have to agree a truely amazing performance, gave me the same feeling as against Sampdoria all those years ago!!

And I thik I was calling Hleb - Muppet all the first half, gave the ball away so many times, but in fairness he did put in a solid 2nd half, what he was there for, and redeemed himself!!

Toure was man of the match IMO, totally amazing, a couple of slip ups from Senderos, again, only for Lehman Beckham would havescored from one of them! But it was a magnificent performance.. WEll done and lets hope we can do the same at Highbury..

But I reckon we'll have to win the comp for Henry to stay!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I have to agree a truely amazing performance, gave me the same feeling as against Sampdoria all those years ago!!

It was nearly as good a performence as when Alan Smith helped us beat Parma 1-0. Ah the memories :)

Fair play to ya lads. Hopefully they'll finish the job at highbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Roddy23 wrote:
    It was nearly as good a performence as when Alan Smith helped us beat Parma 1-0. Ah the memories :)

In off the post! Get in there!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Kingp35 wrote:

I am hear to say f**k off,
    what happened to all the dip****s who said liverpool would lose to utd at the weekend?
    (i know you are a leeds fan, but you were the very same bunch of fans who thought the premiership was within your grasp . . . )
    Willem D wrote:
    I am ecstatic for Liverpool, wat a game , I am absolutely delighted.
    ]

This is why jank often speaks of you being comepletely immature,

as was said if you are just going to go for rivalry dont get into threads about teams you don't follow.

Come sunday i'm not going to tell all you spanners off over getting turned over by wigan.
    Losing to Benfica was a set back and not much more than that.
    Not much easier than it is to do Liverpool...just ask Crystal Palace :)

Do you understand logic??
    It was quite easy for liverpool to knock man utd out a cup competition and maybe even easier for you to get thrown out of europe

I really hope you get banned for that tripe post. You're a pointless contributor to this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

A good result fro Milan tonight. If someone had offered me a 1-1 draw before tonight, I'd have taken their hand with it. Hopefully Milan will be able to seal the deal at home. Hopefully.....

Delighted for Arsenal and Lyon. The match at Anfield will be very interesting. I still fancy Liverpool to get through, though it might take extra time to do so.

Advertisement