Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Knockout Stage

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Robben caused problems because he was up front with no defensive duties. But he just ran at them before losing the ball. I lost count of the times that he gave it away in fashion that would make Luis Garcia blush. I'm really beginning not to rate him, particularly against bigger sides, where as Cole is always good for popping up with a goal when it matters, he would also have worked harder.

Drogba also fashioned two chances, of which he definitely should have stuck away one.

Robben tracked back once, and this was with 10 men, he was berated by Mourinho and told to stay forward, that was a tactical thing, not his fault really. And yeah he didn't create alot but the Barca defence was superb and marshalled Chelseas one striker (Crespo and Drogba) well, limiting the space, it was very difficult to create, he was the only one with any spark out there, Cole had done nothing. barcas defence will, as ever, go without credit though.

Barcelona only had one chance in the first half, when Cech saved well from Ronaldhino. There was another half chance where Ronaldinho didn't even get a shot away but that's it.

I said Chelsea more than matched them, which might be overly kind on them, but they certainly were not taught a lesson in football in the first 45 which people seem to think happened for the whole game.

For all the talk about Barcelona being the best footballing side on the planet, I think they should have done better against a side with 10 men and playing two forwards.

That was a clear cut chance and the other one you mentioned could (should perhaps) easily have been a goal, Barca were shading it with 11 men easily, and only got better towards the end. I don't know what else you expect from a team in a european tie against one of the pre tournament favourites, dominating possession, not giving the home side any clear cut chances and creating plenty yourself, what more do you want of this team?

Also, all the talk of 2-1 4-2, it goes without saying the dynamics of a home win v an away win in europe are massive, it's not comparable with last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slash/ED wrote:
    Robben tracked back once, and this was with 10 men, he was berated by Mourinho and told to stay forward, that was a tactical thing, not his fault really. And yeah he didn't create alot but the Barca defence was superb and marshalled Chelseas one striker (Crespo and Drogba) well, limiting the space, it was very difficult to create, he was the only one with any spark out there, Cole had done nothing. barcas defence will, as ever, go without credit though.
    I will glady give Barcelona's defence credit, they did well. I wouldn't say they were superb though, Chelsea still created a few chances, and I still think that they will be vulnerable against an 11 men Chelsea side in the return leg.

Robben may have been told not to track back, but its not as if he does it anyway out of choice. Personally I think Cole provides more to the team as a whole, and Robbens performance tonight, for me, did nothing to enhance my thought of him as a player. When he got the ball, it was coming straight back against Chelsea within 10 seconds.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    That was a clear cut chance and the other one you mentioned could (should perhaps) easily have been a goal, Barca were shading it with 11 men easily, and only got better towards the end. I don't know what else you expect from a team in a european tie against one of the pre tournament favourites, dominating possession, not giving the home side any clear cut chances and creating plenty yourself, what more do you want of this team?
    I am not criticising Barcelona's first half performance. You said they shaded it, perhaps they did, they certainly didn't dish out a footballing lesson. I can't fault their first half performance really.

Their second half however wasn't great IMO, and it was only when Chelsea tired after a monumental effort that they started to play. Until then it was only Messi that was causing problems. I expected more from the team that is put on this pedestle as the beacon of football against 10 men who were still prepared to attack them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Slash/ED wrote:

Also, all the talk of 2-1 4-2, it goes without saying the dynamics of a home win v an away win in europe are massive, it's not comparable with last season.

Only getting better thanks to having the extra man. 11v11 barca were slightly better but not dominating and whose to say what the match would of turned out like. Barca are one of the pre tournament favourites themselves, we expected them to take the match to chelsea after the sending off which they didn't. And it took a goal from chelsea to wake them up.

It's comparable with last season because they still need to win by 2 clear goals.

I will glady give Barcelona's defence credit, they did well. I wouldn't say they were superb though, Chelsea still created a few chances, and I still think that they will be vulnerable against an 11 men Chelsea side in the return leg.

I saw no evidence whatsoever to show that on the pitch tonight, none what so ever, and Barca were the away side.
    Robben may have been told not to track back, but its not as if he does it anyway out of choice. Personally I think Cole provides more to the team as a whole, and Robbens performance tonight, for me, did nothing to enhance my thought of him as a player. When he got the ball, it was coming straight back against Chelsea within 10 seconds.

Maybe, but in this case he has the excuse as it was definitely tactical. In general he is very greedy alright especially when it comes to shooting. I just thought he looked capable of creating something which for me no other Chelsea player did.
    I am not criticising Barcelona's first half performance. You said they shaded it, perhaps they did, they certainly didn't dish out a footballing lesson. I can't fault their first half performance really.

Their second half however wasn't great IMO, and it was only when Chelsea tired after a monumental effort that they started to play. Until then it was only Messi that was causing problems. I expected more from the team that is put on this pedestle as the beacon of football against 10 men who were still prepared to attack them.

But this is a side away from home to the run away premiership leaders, you can't expect them to go out and score goals at will. Don't let the hype of Barca get to you, they controlled a match against a top european side in their own ground on a shambolic pitch for pretty much the whole game, dominated possession and created more chances. I mean, it wasn't the greatest performance in their history, but what more do you want? They went and got the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Which is a bookable offence, yes. Red card offence, nope.
    Now, add that to the other two yellow card offenses (one that he got away with and the other the ref played advantage) and you get...? A red card! Well done!

No point gushing about Messi, everything's already been said. Tie is far from over though, Chelsea are clearly well capable of scoring two in the Camp Nou but hopefully Barca can do the same.
    Ronaldhino absent for much of the match (sorta glad utd. didn't buy him).
    Sweet Jesus.

• Advertisement

Holy christ is that Man U fan Ronaldiho quote genuine? Jesus christ :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A victory for football tonight.
    Chelsea were shown up for the defensive bore they are.
    They rely on grinding teams down,making few errors and scoring from a set piece or a few good moves in 90 minutes of play.
    They were given a football lesson and were completely outclassed.
    I hope they will be torn apart at the Camp Nou now that they have to come out of their defensive shell.
    Mourinho is very dishonest and a bad loser though.
    He showed no dignity in losing tonight, making feeble ,spurious rants .
    Sky were up to their usual blinkered propaganda; the British teams are best.
    I was dissapointed at how pro Chelsea the RTE commentators,Hamilton and Houghton were.
    Barca are a class outfit,they play football they way it should be played.
    I applaud their talent.
    I've paid to watch them play and will do so again.
    I'd want to be paid to watch Chelsea play ,they are a bore.

PiE wrote:
    Now, add that to the other two yellow card offenses (one that he got away with and the other the ref played advantage) and you get...? A red card! Well done!

No point gushing about Messi, everything's already been said. Tie is far from over though, Chelsea are clearly well capable of scoring two in the Camp Nou but hopefully Barca can do the same.

Sweet Jesus.
    Did you see any yellow cards at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

add that to the other two yellow card offenses (one that he got away with and the other the ref played advantage)

Slash/ED wrote:
    I saw no evidence whatsoever to show that on the pitch tonight, none what so ever, and Barca were the away side.
    Drogba had two chances. The first one seemed to have passed people by, but it was damn close. I expect Drogba to start the next game and give Barca a lot more trouble than Crespo did.

The Chelsea goal was evidence to the Barca defensive frailties. They didn't know how to deal with Terry at set-pieces, because they are not strong enough, so they thought just trying to foul him was the best way. I thought it was ironic that it proved to cost them.

11 on 11 for the full game Chelsea will get more chances. Particularly their midfielders, where most their goals come from, who were shut out tonight because no one could hold up the ball.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Maybe, but in this case he has the excuse as it was definitely tactical. In general he is very greedy alright especially when it comes to shooting. I just thought he looked capable of creating something which for me no other Chelsea player did.
    As I said Drogba did, twice in 45 minutes. Robben might have looked threatening, but similar to Ronaldo, where was his end product. He only had one shot, and that was a snap shot because he was about to be tackled. We will never know who would have done better now, but I think Cole may have provided the spark (or even a deflected shot ;) ) that could have been more beneficial.

QUOTE=Slash/ED]But this is a side away from home to the run away premiership leaders, you can't expect them to go out and score goals at will. Don't let the hype of Barca get to you, they controlled a match against a top european side in their own ground on a shambolic pitch for pretty much the whole game, dominated possession and created more chances. I mean, it wasn't the greatest performance in their history, but what more do you want? They went and got the job done.[/QUOTE]
    They only controlled the match when it went 10 on 11. And I don't mean to be overly critical of them. They won the match. What more could Rijkaard ask for? I just think all this talk of "football how it should be played" is totally wide of the mark given the circumstances. They achieved in terms of results all they needed, but they also had slices of luck in order to achieve this, they didnt go and blow Chelsea away. In fact they should have been 2-1 down right before they went 2-1 up.

The tie is very much still alive, and I'm certain Chelsea will show that in two weeks.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote:
    yeah my question still remains...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No

The logic of your argument (ie the ref got it wrong with the straight red card) is just as valid when applied to the other Horno tackles (ie the ref got it wrong with no yellow card) therefore Horno may well have been sent off anyway if the ref gave one of the previous yellow cards.

No

The logic of your argument (ie the ref got it wrong with the straight red card) is just as valid when applied to the other Horno tackles (ie the ref got it wrong with no yellow card) therefore Horno may well have been sent off anyway if the ref gave one of the previous yellow cards.
    Well if he got a yellow card he wouldn't be flying in with rough tackles now would he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Chelsea were totally out-reffed tonight. Del Horno probably deserved a yellow for his clumsy attempt at the ball , hardly a red by anyones standards but UEFA's when Chelsea are involved. Barcelona got an awful lot of decisions in that game, dispropotionately perhaps, Chelsea played a physical game in midfield and Barca fell over a lot ( presumably because they fell into the many bunkers on offer) , the barca fans must have had an inlking of what was to come when the clapped the ref before the game ( like who does that ? )

The sending off ruined the game, i felt both teams were evenly matched, cancelling each other out in most departments until then, it would take a bit of inevitable brilliance by one or the other to take the lead. When chelsea managed to nick the lead, it would have been next to impossible to defend it til the end given the firepower of barca, but they did a fairly good job of it in the circumstances.

Drogba did exactly what ws required of him against that defence, winning balls in the air, physical challenges, holding the ball up well (with often 2 barca defenders on him) until some outlet arrived, and being a right cvnt for taking a touch too many and hitting the side netting, those of you slagging him off possibly expected him to be playing as though he had 10 team mates on the pitch with him, but I think he did what was asked of him.

It aint over for Chelsea yet, lets see what Jose can make happen. Hope the Nou Camp's in better nick.

Well if he got a yellow card he wouldn't be flying in with rough tackles now would he?

Really?

I must have missed all those players who got 2 yellow cards in games and get themselves send off. Surely when they get the first yellow card, they cannot then commit a 2nd bookable offence? I saw nothing in Hornos play tonight to suggest he would have stopped clattering Messi.

growler wrote:
    Chelsea were totally out-reffed tonight. Del Horno probably deserved a yellow for his clumsy attempt at the ball , hardly a red by anyones standards but UEFA's when Chelsea are involved. Barcelona got an awful lot of decisions in that game, dispropotionately perhaps, Chelsea played a physical game in midfield and Barca fell over a lot ( presumably because they fell into the many bunkers on offer) , the barca fans must have had an inlking of what was to come when the clapped the ref before the game ( like who does that ? )

The sending off ruined the game, i felt both teams were evenly matched, cancelling each other out in most departments until then, it would take a bit of inevitable brilliance by one or the other to take the lead. When chelsea managed to nick the lead, it would have been next to impossible to defend it til the end given the firepower of barca, but they did a fairly good job of it in the circumstances.

Drogba did exactly what ws required of him against that defence, winning balls in the air, physical challenges, holding the ball up well (with often 2 barca defenders on him) until some outlet arrived, and being a right cvnt for taking a touch too many and hitting the side netting, those of you slagging him off possibly expected him to be playing as though he had 10 team mates on the pitch with him, but I think he did what was asked of him.

It aint over for Chelsea yet, lets see what Jose can make happen. Hope the Nou Camp's in better nick.

Not a mention of the two penalty decisions mid-whinge there, not one. Sure the ref was out to get Chelsea though.

growler wrote:
    Barcelona got an awful lot of decisions in that game, dispropotionately perhaps, .

Like those 2 very strong penalty claims?

Really?

I must have missed all those players who got 2 yellow cards in games and get themselves send off. Surely when they get the first yellow card, they cannot then commit a 2nd bookable offence? I saw nothing in Hornos play tonight to suggest he would have stopped clattering Messi.
    Yeah, common sense really. If you get one yellow, you have to be more careful. Del horno didn't get that chance.

Drogba had two chances. The first one seemed to have passed people by, but it was damn close. I expect Drogba to start the next game and give Barca a lot more trouble than Crespo did.

The Chelsea goal was evidence to the Barca defensive frailties. They didn't know how to deal with Terry at set-pieces, because they are not strong enough, so they thought just trying to foul him was the best way. I thought it was ironic that it proved to cost them.

One chance really, a clear cut one though, the second one would have been a goal of the season contender to go on. As for their goal being evidence of defensive frailities, these things happen and it wasn't a defender anyway, otherwise Barca dealt with the run away premiership leaders in their own patch very well.
    11 on 11 for the full game Chelsea will get more chances. Particularly their midfielders, where most their goals come from, who were shut out tonight because no one could hold up the ball.

11 v 11 they had no chances at all and now they have to goto Barcas ground? They're capable of scoring but there's nothing to suggest Barcas defence is frail or prone to Chelseas attack, quite the opposiate. The tie is not over, though.
    They only controlled the match when it went 10 on 11. And I don't mean to be overly critical of them. They won the match. What more could Rijkaard ask for? I just think all this talk of "football how it should be played" is totally wide of the mark given the circumstances. They achieved in terms of results all they needed, but they also had slices of luck in order to achieve this, they didnt go and blow Chelsea away. In fact they should have been 2-1 down right before they went 2-1 up.

The tie is very much still alive, and I'm certain Chelsea will show that in two weeks.

They were bossing it 11 v 11 too. You can't deny it. Possession, better passing, created more chances and looked more dangerous, they were in charge. People may be going overboard, but the better team won and this in Stamford Bridge. You over state the amount of luck involved though they didn't blow Chelsea away, they did impose themselves despite being the away side. Taken in context it is a very impressive European performance.

The tie is alive, indeed. Definitely. But Barca are clear favourites and likely to progress and I'd put money on them doing just that, but yes, it is far from over and done with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Chelsea 1 Barcelona 2

1st Half

From a match that was tepid and lacked the passion so many expected before kick-off, the game was suddenly turned on its head 8 minutes from the interval when Chelsea full-back Del Horno was shown a straight red card for a clumsy and ill-advised challenge on Barca’s teenage sensation Messi.

Both teams began the game in cautious formations, with Chelsea happy to sit deep and allow Barcelona to formulate moves from their own back line. There was little action in the opening quarter of an hour, and on 16 minutes John Terry blocked a shot from Ronaldinho. The Brazilian had another chance around the half-hour mark, when Petr Cech got down smartly to his left to save a strong snapshot from him.

Now to turn to the first controversial incident of the game; With Messi and Robben chasing the ball down the right flank, the Dutchman attempted to shepherd the ball all the ways 30 yards to his goal line for a kick-out. Robben made no attempt to actually play the ball, and 2 yards inside the byline Messi swooped around him to take control of the ball, and then played a lovely nut-meg on Robben as he dived in to challenge. Having taken no more than a couple of steps towards the Chelsea penalty area, Messi was then body checked by Del Horno, who in his haste to tackle the player, had failed to notice that he had actually also completely missed the ball :eek: (which was rolling at a snail’s pace in his direction), and left it behind him. He collided with Messi, who had quickly jigged up in the air when seeing the inrushing opponent, and both players then fell dramatically to the ground, with both then performing what can only be described as a “mini sit-up” to glance towards the ref, before writhing on the turf in agony. How a professional soccer player can actually fail to make any sort of contact with the football while it is almost stationary, and then purport to be injured to avoid punishment for an ill-timed and (not the first of his in the game) stupid challenge, is beyond me.

Looking at the slow-motion replays of the incident, (which of course the man in the middle doesn’t have the luxury of) only heightened my belief that Del Horno should have been sent to the line. Messi had made a decent attempt to rescue possession from Robben, and when seeing Del Horno arriving like a freight-train, tried to avoid the brunt of the challenge. The most disappointing aspect of the whole incident was the unsporting nature of both players reaction immediately after the incident, but I think we’ve all learned that professional soccer players are now almost oblivious to any sort of sporting behaviour or conduct. Geremi was introduced for Joe Cole to shore up the defence, and in injury time before the break he blocked a shot with an outstretched arm in a way that a GAA player would be proud of, and Barcelona were denied what should have been a penalty. This particular methiod of defence has been mastered by some defenders, especially John Terry, and referees seem to rarely award penalties for it. In some ways Chelsea were thankful to see half-time…..

2nd Half

The second half began with Drogba coming in for Crespo, and Chelsea showing a sense of pace and fire that we had not seen in the first half. Crespo was ineffective in the opening 45 minutes, and I was surprised to see Mourinho start with a more poacher striker when it was clear that the Chelsea midfield and back four were playing deep and not pushing on up to test the doubtful Barca defense with Crespo’s talents. Having pushed the Barca defence further upfield, with a more probing running attack from Robben and co., Chelsea opened the scoring with an o.g. from Motta, who under pressure from Terry, turned Lampard’s lovely free-kick into his own net.

What I think was the key tactical decision of the two managers, was the introduction of Larsson after the hour mark, which brought the previously quiet Eto’o into the game, where he came deeper and operated on the left side of attack, leaving Larsson as the out-and-out striker. From this moment Barca began to dominate, and despite some last-ditch defending from the Blues, it was only a matter of time before the score was levelled. Carvalho needlessly fouled the Swede, and Ronaldinho’s free kick was flicked on by Terry over Cech and into the far top corner. For the last half hour Lampard was anonymous, with Gudjohnsen appearing to put himself about more in the middle of the pitch.

Then came 15 minutes of what was some of the best and most skilful attacking football I’ve seen this season. Ronaldinho was coming into the game more and more, and Messi cut in from the right hand side to curl a lovely chip towards the top corner with Cech well beaten, only to see it come off the bar. Both Terry and Carvalho blocked goal-bound shots, and Terry could have counted himself lucky not to concede a penalty for a challenge on Messi, and then subsequently handling the ball on the ground.

Drogba had a chance from Chelsea, only to over play the ball and Valdez pushed his shot behind for a corner. From the resulting cross, Barca broke upfield with Ronaldinho taking charge, playing a lovely pass across to Larsson, who cut back for Marquez to cross and find Eto’o at the far post, whose powerful header beat Cech from point-black range with Paulo Ferreria stranded and stood on the ground.

Chelsea then held on and Barca take two precious away goals back to the Nou Camp for the second leg in a fortnight.

The most depressing aspect of some of the posts on these boards, is the flagrant bias and downright inability of some members to issue a constructive opinion of their teams, or any teams, performance.

It is a trait prevalent in the most blindly passionate and inwardly viewing of fans, those who do not understand the basis of the game, only the lust of their particular team to win.

Also, the reaction of the Chelsea manager this evening can only be described as pathetic. He has called on Sky Sports to replay the sending-off incident over and over again, to show the public the "injustice that his team was dealt". A man who publicly chided the same channel, when they repeatedly aired footage of Michael Essien's horrendous tackle on Dietmar Hammann, is now asking them to aid him in his appeal?

Great sportsmen and women are enshrined in legend not only for their achievements, but also for the humility they show and their conduct both on and off their chosen field.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    One chance really, a clear cut one though, the second one would have been a goal of the season contender to go on. As for their goal being evidence of defensive frailities, these things happen and it wasn't a defender anyway, otherwise
    The second one was the one that hit the side netting no? Not a goal of the season contender in my eyes. Are you getting it mixed with his first one? Where he won the header and shot just over on the volley? It would have been a screamer, but it wasn't far off at all (only about a foot). And Valdes was beaten.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Barca dealt with the run away premiership leaders in their own patch very well.
    They did do well. Particularly given that they were away from home. I could see Chelsea going over there and winning though if it were to stay 11 vs 11. Just like they almost did last year, when it was 10 on 11.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    11 v 11 they had no chances at all and now they have to goto Barcas ground? They're capable of scoring but there's nothing to suggest Barcas defence is frail or prone to Chelseas attack, quite the opposiate.
    Barcelona will not deal with Drogba, supported by two wide men, as well as they did with Crespo tonight. We'll have to wait and see.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    They were bossing it 11 v 11 too. You can't deny it. Possession, better passing, created more chances and looked more dangerous, they were in charge.
    Half an hour ago they "shaded" it 11 vs 11, now they "bossed" it. So I will deny it. They only had one threatening shot as far as I recall.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    People may be going overboard, but the better team won and this in Stamford Bridge.
    People are going over-board. But given how the match panned out the better team did win, although IMO the only reason they were clearly the better team is because they played half the game against 10 men, and 10 men incorrectly IMO.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    You over state the amount of luck involved though they didn't blow Chelsea away, they did impose themselves despite being the away side. Taken in context it is a very impressive European performance.
    The result is impressive.

But I reckon there is elements of regret in the Barca camp now knowing that they had a chance to seal the tie tonight playing against 10 men who were still prepared to have a go.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    The tie is alive, indeed. Definitely. But Barca are clear favourites and likely to progress and I'd put money on them doing just that, but yes, it is far from over and done with.
    Well put your money on Barca. They are a very good side. I think I might put some on Chelsea, so many people are dismissing them they should have good odds. I can see them conceeding again at the NC, even twice, like I said the really smart money is probably on the 3+ goals.

The second one was the one that hit the side netting no? Not a goal of the season contender in my eyes. Are you getting it mixed with his first one? Where he won the header and shot just over on the volley? It would have been a screamer, but it wasn't far off at all (only about a foot). And Valdes was beaten.

Yeah got them mixed up.
    They did do well. Particularly given that they were away from home. I could see Chelsea going over there and winning though if it were to stay 11 vs 11. Just like they almost did last year, when it was 10 on 11.

It's possible, but I believe Barca are the better side and showed it tonight as much as is possible, the sending off makes it easier to make excuses and argue that fact though.
    Barcelona will not deal with Drogba, supported by two wide men, as well as they did with Crespo tonight. We'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, but Drogba is not a good goal scorer, with him in the side and not Crespo will they have the killer instinct? His miss was a bad one and he is not a good finisher.
    Half an hour ago they "shaded" it 11 vs 11, now they "bossed" it. So I will deny it. They only had one threatening shot as far as I recall.

They had two chances, one a great block doesn't make it less of a chance. They were in charge and dominating possession, they were the better side 11 v 11, and it's not even debatable.
    People are going over-board. But given how the match panned out the better team did win, although IMO the only reason they were clearly the better team is because they played half the game against 10 men, and 10 men incorrectly IMO.

The only time Chelsea troubled them is with 10 men.
    The result is impressive.

But I reckon there is elements of regret in the Barca camp now knowing that they had a chance to seal the tie tonight playing against 10 men who were still prepared to have a go.

Indeed, and they missed chances, so it is not over yet.

Well put your money on Barca. They are a very good side. I think I might put some on Chelsea, so many people are dismissing them they should have good odds. I can see them conceeding again at the NC, even twice, like I said the really smart money is probably on the 3+ goals.

I agree it'll be very high scoring, Chelsea will have to come out and as a result I can see Barca doing what they did for the last 30 minutes on their own patch and outscoring Chelsea in that kind of game, it's the kind of game they're designed to play. But Chelsea are not finished.

Slash/ED wrote:
    It's possible, but I believe Barca are the better side and showed it tonight as much as is possible, the sending off makes it easier to make excuses and argue that fact though.
    I think Barcelona are the better footballing side. I think Chelsea are the better team though.

The sending off is a valid excuse as it completely changed the course of the game.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Yeah, but Drogba is not a good goal scorer, with him in the side and not Crespo will they have the killer instinct? His miss was a bad one and he is not a good finisher.
    Drogba is not a great finisher. But Drogba brings out the best in Lampard and co. Notice how Lampards goals have dried up since Drogba has been at the ANC?
    Slash/ED wrote:
    They had two chances, one a great block doesn't make it less of a chance. They were in charge and dominating possession, they were the better side 11 v 11, and it's not even debatable.
    I agree with your earlier synopsis that they shaded it. I don't think it is as clear cut as you make it now.

I think given different personel and different things to play for it will be a completely different game.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I agree it'll be very high scoring, Chelsea will have to come out and as a result I can see Barca doing what they did for the last 30 minutes on their own patch and outscoring Chelsea in that kind of game, it's the kind of game they're designed to play. But Chelsea are not finished.
    I think the tie is set up to go either way. They are the two best sides in Europe IMO. And there is very little between, as has been demonstrated over their last three meetings. The reason Im getting very much involved is because is p1sses me off seeing talk of footballing lessons and the like.

Its great to see two great teams play with such passion and desire. And I look forward to them duel again.

Good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think they are in the top three best sides, with Juve being second behind Barca. Chelsea are still lacking someone who can both let Lampard score and score himself, which is availible.

I think Barca deserved to win, but I think they are going to kick themselves for not winning by a two goal margin. Two away goals is very very very good though, and a goal in the next tie should see them through imo.

p.s.
    Amazing results for Bremen
    Rangers did well, but two away goals will kill them
    Inter and Ajax deserved a draw, Inter will go through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i'd disagree on Juve being the 2nd best team in europe, i think we may have seen the top 2 tonight, your leaving out the defending CL champs and the beaten finalists, but i suppose its your openion

Juve deserve a mention, but I hate giving them any credit, can't stand them and will avoid watching any Juve home game as it's just depressing.

Juve are so boring, but I refer you to league tables(which is what I judge nearly everything about a team from, with a few exceptions, but they form my general opinion of the team)

Juve - 67
    Milan - 57
    Inter - 55

10 points clear of AC Milan, not that easy to do, especially in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Can't wait for the second legs with most matches being very interseting. Can't say who is certain to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

PHB wrote:

10 points clear of AC Milan, not that easy to do, especially in Italy.

Far easier to be 10points clear of milan in Italy than in any other country.

The pitch clearly affected Barcelona and Messi and they should run rings around Chelsea in the Nou Camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

whats all this, we'll see when its 11 v 11 in the nou camp talk?
    its going to be 11 v 9 :p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Barcelona are the best team in the world at the moment IMO. Some of their passing last night was unbelievable. Chelsea were second best all game long.

As for Del Horno... It wasn't a sending off but I think it was a yellow, and he had already caught Messi knee high moments beforehand with a tackle which wasn't given by the referee (which I thought warranted at least a yellow).

Was anyone here watching the match on Sky Sports? My god Andy Gray annoyed the shíte out of me last night. He was nearly as annoying as Niall Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Does any else think there is a distinct possibility of no English teams going through. What would sky do then?

Arsenal - Could regret not scoring more than 1 - don't think Madrid will be as bad again.
    Liverpool - Can they score twice againt a team that has no need to attack?
    Chelsea - 2 away goals conceded and playing against a team in top form.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

TheMonster wrote:
    Does any else think there is a distinct possibility of no English teams going through. What would sky do then?
    They will piss and moan about how Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and United were robbed/cheated/should have still been in the competition etc. until the final.

I definately think that there is a big possibility that all British clubs will be eliminated in this round, I had a feeling when seeing the draw that it would happen and it looks like it now. With the exception of Arsenal of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

bruachain wrote:

Also, the reaction of the Chelsea manager this evening can only be described as pathetic. He has called on Sky Sports to replay the sending-off incident over and over again, to show the public the "injustice that his team was dealt". A man who publicly chided the same channel, when they repeatedly aired footage of Michael Essien's horrendous tackle on Dietmar Hammann, is now asking them to aid him in his appeal?

Em... you're sort of missing the point - he's not asking a favour from Sky, he's saying that (in his opinion) as they repeatedly showed the Essien tackle, should they not now keep showing the sending off. (don't personally agree with him btw and was happy that most of the pre-match moans game from barcelona not chelsea).

Enjoyable game (if not result!!) - I've previoulsy posted that I though Chelsea would struggle in the second leg but now they have nothing to loose so I hope that at least they go down with the same fighting spirit that the showed yeaterday.

Have no real complaints about the sending off - a little harsh as the tackle was clumsy more than vicious but always liable to pick up a red if if go in like that. Consitancy as per usual with referees was missing yesterday (ie Barca defender who took down Robben from behind was already on a yellow yet ref just gave a free kick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I thought Chelsea were brilliant last night and I was proud to be a blues fan. We were playing imo the best team in teh world with 10 men for most of the game. It was a yellow card tackle no where a red in my opinion but thats done now.

The start of the second half they ran the show and took it to Barca. 1-0 up i was thinking right nobody can say a bad word about us now, we have proved we are the best in england. They ran out of steam and eventually got picked off but the better team.

With 11 men though, i thought it was remarkably easy to take Ronaldinho out of the game, Geremi did it for christ sake! So I have a feeling Chelsea will take them in the Nou Camp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A brilliant match, very entertaining and one of the best CL matches I have seen in many a year.

I think Del Horno was rash and could have got away with a yellow but European football doesn't like those challenges.

I think without a doubt we saw the two top teams in Europe last night, shame one of them will have to go out in 2 weeks time, but it was a brilliant attacking match.

Chelsea are far from out of it, they have a team who have maybe 7 or 8 players who can get a goal but Barca will always be able to score so who knows it is football.

Juve were suprising, thought they were better than that but Buffon was top notch in goal.

Out of the 3 teams at the minute it is definately Arsenal who look in the best position and would not be suprised if they are the only team to go through, the 1 team on Tuesday morning most people thought would not go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Now, let me first say I dislike Chelsea big time and was happy with the result. But up until Terry's OG - Chelsea made Barca look like a bunch of pussies. I was laughing my hole off watching Robben take on half their team. Ronaldinho is the best player in the world? He hardly touched the ball until after the equaliser.

Honestly, though I don't like agreeing with Mourinho, Chelsea were the better team, and shouldn't have been reduced to 10 men. Barca looked like a bunch of fairies, who were shook by ten men who went at them.

Its going to be a great 2nd leg - by no means is it over either. Chelsea have the quality to turn this over (not that I necessarily want them to).

SCULLY wrote:
    Em... you're sort of missing the point - he's not asking a favour from Sky, he's saying that (in his opinion) as they repeatedly showed the Essien tackle, should they not now keep showing the sending off. (don't personally agree with him btw and was happy that most of the pre-match moans game from barcelona not chelsea).

Mourinho can go from the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of a week. At times his post match interviews and analysis can be gracious and well-spoken (e.g. 'Boro 3-0 defeat of Chelsea/Colchester), at others just downright Fergusonesque and irrational (e.g. Reina's red card/last night).

The game of playing the psychological war in the media has become as important as what actually goes on the field of play. Mourinho is an extremely clever individual, at time playing both realist and fantacist.

When once asked was he under pressure, he replied something along the lines of - "pressure, pressure is when you are struggling to put food on the table for your family, this is not real pressure. We're paid very well to do what we love" which is a nice dose of humility in a sport populated by some people who seem out of touch with life!

Then he pulls the stunts a la yesterday evening, calling for the game to be replayed with 11 men on both sides! It would be laughable if it wasnt from someone so influential in the game.

The one ray of light from yesterday's post match reactions was Rangers Alex McLeish, who, when asked about the offside situation for Forlan's goal, replied that, "under the rules of the game, the player in question was not offside, and as such, the officials were right to not flag it, although in actuality it was madness and the situation needs to be looked at, as what really is an active player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Now, let me first say I dislike Chelsea big time and was happy with the result. But up until Terry's OG - Chelsea made Barca look like a bunch of pussies. I was laughing my hole off watching Robben take on half their team. Ronaldinho is the best player in the world? He hardly touched the ball until after the equaliser.

Honestly, though I don't like agreeing with Mourinho, Chelsea were the better team, and shouldn't have been reduced to 10 men. Barca looked like a bunch of fairies, who were shook by ten men who went at them.

Its going to be a great 2nd leg - by no means is it over either. Chelsea have the quality to turn this over (not that I necessarily want them to).
    What game were you watching? Barca had 68 % of the possesion before the sending-off. And this was with Ronaldinho having a quiet game until the 60th minute. Chelsea were outplayed by a better team and I think they would have lost even with 11 men.

Del Hornos tackle could have been a red, but I think it was a yellow.
    However he should already have been booked twice imo, so it was deserved.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Chelsea were the better team.

How in the name of christ have you reached this ludicris conclusion? On what basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Up until Terry's og. Chelsea were the only team looking to score - and this was with 10 men. Yeah Barca had possession - but where did they have it? In their own defence mostly. Terry's OG broke Chelsea's spirit and then all of a sudden Ronaldinho starts doing little flicks and pissing about on the wing. A fair-weather player if ever I saw one.

What nonsense, before the first OG the only good chance was Ronaldinhos, the only team looking to score (Or at least getting close to it) was Barca.

Hold on, I see you called Ronaldinho a fair weather player :D:D:D

You're either very very blinded or just on some kind of wind up. That is priceless, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

bruachain wrote:
    Chelsea 1 Barcelona 2

1st Half

From a match that was tepid and lacked the passion so many expected before kick-off, the game was suddenly turned on its head 8 minutes from the interval when Chelsea full-back Del Horno was shown a straight red card for a clumsy and ill-advised challenge on Barca’s teenage sensation Messi.

Both teams began the game in cautious formations, with Chelsea happy to sit deep and allow Barcelona to formulate moves from their own back line. There was little action in the opening quarter of an hour, and on 16 minutes John Terry blocked a shot from Ronaldinho. The Brazilian had another chance around the half-hour mark, when Petr Cech got down smartly to his left to save a strong snapshot from him.

Now to turn to the first controversial incident of the game; With Messi and Robben chasing the ball down the right flank, the Dutchman attempted to shepherd the ball all the ways 30 yards to his goal line for a kick-out. Robben made no attempt to actually play the ball, and 2 yards inside the byline Messi swooped around him to take control of the ball, and then played a lovely nut-meg on Robben as he dived in to challenge. Having taken no more than a couple of steps towards the Chelsea penalty area, Messi was then body checked by Del Horno, who in his haste to tackle the player, had failed to notice that he had actually also completely missed the ball :eek: (which was rolling at a snail’s pace in his direction), and left it behind him. He collided with Messi, who had quickly jigged up in the air when seeing the inrushing opponent, and both players then fell dramatically to the ground, with both then performing what can only be described as a “mini sit-up” to glance towards the ref, before writhing on the turf in agony. How a professional soccer player can actually fail to make any sort of contact with the football while it is almost stationary, and then purport to be injured to avoid punishment for an ill-timed and (not the first of his in the game) stupid challenge, is beyond me.

Looking at the slow-motion replays of the incident, (which of course the man in the middle doesn’t have the luxury of) only heightened my belief that Del Horno should have been sent to the line. Messi had made a decent attempt to rescue possession from Robben, and when seeing Del Horno arriving like a freight-train, tried to avoid the brunt of the challenge. The most disappointing aspect of the whole incident was the unsporting nature of both players reaction immediately after the incident, but I think we’ve all learned that professional soccer players are now almost oblivious to any sort of sporting behaviour or conduct. Geremi was introduced for Joe Cole to shore up the defence, and in injury time before the break he blocked a shot with an outstretched arm in a way that a GAA player would be proud of, and Barcelona were denied what should have been a penalty. This particular methiod of defence has been mastered by some defenders, especially John Terry, and referees seem to rarely award penalties for it. In some ways Chelsea were thankful to see half-time…..

2nd Half

The second half began with Drogba coming in for Crespo, and Chelsea showing a sense of pace and fire that we had not seen in the first half. Crespo was ineffective in the opening 45 minutes, and I was surprised to see Mourinho start with a more poacher striker when it was clear that the Chelsea midfield and back four were playing deep and not pushing on up to test the doubtful Barca defense with Crespo’s talents. Having pushed the Barca defence further upfield, with a more probing running attack from Robben and co., Chelsea opened the scoring with an o.g. from Motta, who under pressure from Terry, turned Lampard’s lovely free-kick into his own net.

What I think was the key tactical decision of the two managers, was the introduction of Larsson after the hour mark, which brought the previously quiet Eto’o into the game, where he came deeper and operated on the left side of attack, leaving Larsson as the out-and-out striker. From this moment Barca began to dominate, and despite some last-ditch defending from the Blues, it was only a matter of time before the score was levelled. Carvalho needlessly fouled the Swede, and Ronaldinho’s free kick was flicked on by Terry over Cech and into the far top corner. For the last half hour Lampard was anonymous, with Gudjohnsen appearing to put himself about more in the middle of the pitch.

Then came 15 minutes of what was some of the best and most skilful attacking football I’ve seen this season. Ronaldinho was coming into the game more and more, and Messi cut in from the right hand side to curl a lovely chip towards the top corner with Cech well beaten, only to see it come off the bar. Both Terry and Carvalho blocked goal-bound shots, and Terry could have counted himself lucky not to concede a penalty for a challenge on Messi, and then subsequently handling the ball on the ground.

Drogba had a chance from Chelsea, only to over play the ball and Valdez pushed his shot behind for a corner. From the resulting cross, Barca broke upfield with Ronaldinho taking charge, playing a lovely pass across to Larsson, who cut back for Marquez to cross and find Eto’o at the far post, whose powerful header beat Cech from point-black range with Paulo Ferreria stranded and stood on the ground.

Chelsea then held on and Barca take two precious away goals back to the Nou Camp for the second leg in a fortnight.

The most depressing aspect of some of the posts on these boards, is the flagrant bias and downright inability of some members to issue a constructive opinion of their teams, or any teams, performance.

It is a trait prevalent in the most blindly passionate and inwardly viewing of fans, those who do not understand the basis of the game, only the lust of their particular team to win.

Great sportsmen and women are enshrined in legend not only for their achievements, but also for the humility they show and their conduct both on and off their chosen field.

Great post Bruchain. It covers my view of the game nearly exactly. If I had the time to write a post on the game, I would have written something like yours. I agree with your analysis about the effect of Larsson. He had an immpressive display.

One small point. I thought that Ferreira was mainly at fault for the 2nd goal. It was a classic case of a full bck at the far post ball-watching and not realising there was someone coming in behind him. He should have stepped forward ran and jumped to meet the ball to clear it. Instead he opted to wait for it, stand his ground and probably would have guided it out for a corner to the right of the goal. It was a minor lack of concentration on his part/error of judgement, but a very costly one as Etoo got a free/unchallenged header from point blank range which gave Cech no chance. Football is a funny game in this respect as one mistake, even as slight as this one is can prove very costly.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    Great post Bruchain. It covers my view of the game nearly exactly. If I had the time to write a post on the game, I would have written something like yours. I agree with your analysis about the effect of Larsson. He had an immpressive display.

Cheers Red Spider, I was so annoyed by Sky Sports & Mourinho that I felt this was the most productive way to not end up putting a beer bottle into the plasma tv!

And yes, I agree with faulting Ferreira for the goal. Too many players are tempted to guide the ball in defence, a la Robben trying to let it run out when Messi beat him, and Ferreira ball-watching. Any defender worth his salt should attack a ball like that in around the goalmouth and clear it to safety.

The age-old rule: You opponent cannot score from Row Z in the Upper Stand ;)

Advertisement