Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DITSU Noms

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Candidates should have official posters, reviewed and authorised by the SU and there should be specific locations for them to put them up. If someone breaks the rules then they get fined. Bam.
    I'm amazed the elections seem to be so all over the place... DITSU is meant to be one of the biggest/best in the country, but really this year all I've seen is one joke after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

DITSU is meant to be one of the biggest/best in the country, but really this year all I've seen is one joke after another.

i actually laughed when i read that...

this is my first year in DIT and i have to say, ditsu seems to be some faceless wreck of a group who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. i've seen stiffy/john travolta once, and the other two, i've never seen. i've also yet to see something they've organised be worthwhile.

the carnival thing was good except for the tossers running the show

That's the thing, when you're in the college you realise it's an absolute joke, but to other colleges apparently the DITSU is the biggest and best in the country. Oh, and I'm nearly positive we also have the best paid officers in the country too, although I'm not sure on that.
    It's all a big joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

DIT can be summed up in two words: F**KING FARCE.

That extends to SU as well. I don't know if this is a transition year or what but they seemed to get a hell of alot more done and promoted around Kevin Street when there was just that one woman in the SU office as opposed to now when they have three people and all swanky new computers and stuff but seem to get less done :-S.

It's a whirrling pool of confusion and madness

Dunners wrote:
    That extends to SU as well. I don't know if this is a transition year or what but they seemed to get a hell of alot more done and promoted around Kevin Street when there was just that one woman in the SU office as opposed to now when they have three people and all swanky new computers and stuff but seem to get less done :-S.

they have swanky new computers? because lab computers are going to be well out of date in a year or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The computers in the school of computing are fine. It's not as if we need that much power. We have some of the best. You should bolton st. I feel sorry for those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

ha, and we in aungier st have just found 3 new rooms with even swankier comps in them.

apparently these are just newly fitted out rooms.

like we need them.

but the schools comps and ditsu have nothing to do with each other.

ill always simphatise with the current sabaticals, because before june 31st, they were all students like us (except for alan mac, who was a student june 31st a year ago).

they are the faces of a company just coming out of debt into working order, and yet they do manage to get some stuff done.

for eg, ucd's fashion show was cancelled due to lack of funding, whereas ours was a resounding success

Pft, I have no time for the current Sabbaticals, and unless things seriously change next year, I won't have any time for the new ones. Why can a sabbat run two years in a row? I don't understand that. There's something seriously wrong with the SU constitution if it lets this happen. By taking a Sabbatical they are no longer students for that year, surely they'd need to go back and do a year of study before taking another sabbatical?
    Somebody needs to tell Bob to go get a job.

you seem to have repeated yourself as you have said this in another thread, but i too will repeat what i have said.

one year wouldnt work, as the sabbatical would be learning the ropes.

also, most of the officers have finished their final year and graduate during their term, so they cant go back to college.

and with regards to the constitution; the constitution is, imo, for the sake of appearences, as i dont know anyone in my class that can actually tell me any single article in it.

im all for venting anger and complaining, i mean, i do alot of it myself, but we have to keep an eye on the big picture that we are in transition, and that a year ago, we were in such trouble that our shops werent even open. to be back as a colege with any sort of a union after that is, imo, progress.

The shops and so forth were sorted before Bobby even got into office, after all they were open before, during and after his campaign last year. Apart from this fashion show - which wasn't even publicised as far as I know in Kevin St (so much for being a cross site event) - what exactly has Bobby done for us in the last year?

I mean it's debateable if he even had much to do with the organisation of the fashion show after all we do have an ents officer unless I'm mistaken. So please list me someone what El Presidente has done in the last year. Any other organisation would fire the ass of someone who produces next to no results because they're taking a full year to "learn the ropes".

• Advertisement

I probably did repeat myself on another thread with a similar topic. I think there's two of these bad boys floating around.

A person shouldn't go for the job if they're going to spend a paid year getting used to it. I'm assuming the former sabbats train in the incoming ones, so they have all Summer to find out what they're ment to do.

It is a students union. Non students should not be representing or running the union. That's like having an American as Taoiseach of Ireland. Fair enough if someone gets the job in their graduating year, but when they've already been out of the college a year ... GO GET YOURSELF A JOB! As far as I can see Bob and the gang are getting an easy ride, getting paid far too much money for a job they're only doing half assed.

Dunners wrote:
    Any other organisation would fire the ass of someone who produces next to no results because they're taking a full year to "learn the ropes".

point taken. now offer a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It is a students union. Non students should not be representing or running the union. That's like having an American as Taoiseach of Ireland. Fair enough if someone gets the job in their graduating year, but when they've already been out of the college a year ... GO GET YOURSELF A JOB! As far as I can see Bob and the gang are getting an easy ride, getting paid far too much money for a job they're only doing half assed.
    How can a student get it in his graduating year if elections are running now. People don't know if they will pass the tests or if they will be repeating next year.

How much does he get paid?

point taken. now offer a solution.

I believe an effective solution was already mentioned above. How about having the outgoing people actually train up the incoming ones? I know it's revolutionary but by God it just might work.

Failing that electing someone who might actually spend a bit of time documenting some of the jobs and having procedures laid out to make the transition quicker and easier may take the farce out of the union.

so the person is trained during their finals?

so the person is trained during their finals?

Not necesserily, they can be trained after during the summer or if absolutely necessary they can defer the exams for a year. At the end of the day they have put themselves forward for the position and if elected should expect to have to do some work, if that starts with training them up before taking office then tough s***.

Finals are in May/June ? Theres the whole of July&Sept to train in the new people. Please don't tell me the Sabbatical year only lasts as long as college year, cause that'd be too much of a joke. It's a full time paid job.

Well said Frankiestylee, you've elected into a paid job and accepted it. To expect not to have to spend a few weeks/months preparing and learning about the job is pure lunancy.

guys, get out of each others asses for a second.

im not going to pretend to be an expert on the training process, i just suggested what may happen. and we all know that no amount of training can compare to the experiences one would pick up on the job.

i am going to talk to the sabbats (hopefully all 3) and ask them either to come here and post or to at least give me a statement to post for them, cause they are getting gutted here with noone but me to defend them.

they are getting gutted here with noone but me to defend them.

well this forum is probably the best known of the "internet dit places", bar bebo it seems. if i were running for election i'd have made damn sure my precense was felt here, on bebo and on ditsee.

• Advertisement

guys, get out of each others asses for a second.

God forbid people should agree on an issue or point, no no that's not allowed at all...

im not going to pretend to be an expert on the training process, i just suggested what may happen. and we all know that no amount of training can compare to the experiences one would pick up on the job.

No it can't but it might help them to be effective in their first term instead of using it just to get used to things as you have previously suggested.

i am going to talk to the sabbats (hopefully all 3) and ask them either to come here and post or to at least give me a statement to post for them, cause they are getting gutted here with noone but me to defend them.

I look forward to hearing from them for the first time this year...

would you be interested in a public debate on this subject sometime?

I wouldn't be opposed to a debate but the when and where would be the only issue right now. If it can't be done after assignments then I'll be more than happy to do it at the beginning of the next DIT year. It's always good fun to have a debate :)

i did one last year on the topic 'there is no atmosphere in DIT this year'

i was proposing, and the opposition contained jarlath, the former president, the president of the usi and two other union involved people (apologies to them for not remembering).

good times. i got my ass handed to me!!! figuratively

I'd love to do a few debates, take a good while to make sure they're proper though need plenty of research and such. Fun when you win mind :)

yeah, i found out i was doing it the morning of the debate. ill try and make sure that doesnt happen

A public debate? In DIT or is there some debate function on this site or something? I'm an average public speaker, but when it comes to arguing in print, oh, I do savour it. :)

in dit if i can arrange it.

correction, if i have the energy and time to arrange it.

Advertisement