Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Oil Theft?

Options
  • 20-02-2006 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Ok, Im not too familiar with heating oil, as this is a new thing for me, but the Tank had 500 litres put in when I moved in just over a month ago, and now its near empty.

I run it max 5-6 hours a day, and thats approx 16.5 litres used each day... this does not sound right to me.
    Its just been serviced, and no evidence of a leak.

The only thing I can think of is theft... is it quite common?

Is there anyway to know if someones been at the tank, and does anyone know where in Limerick to get a lock for the things?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HPMan

What with the cost of oil, coal, etc - all energy - going up, then I think it's very likely it happens. If it's happened to you, I don't know - did you get a ticket from the delivery man showing details of the starting amount (ie 0000 ltrs) and your's showing 500 ltrs.

Probably depends also on how hot you have your radiators, a 1 deg C decrease in room temp = 10% saving on energy.

By the way, how much did you pay for your oil (gasoil / kerosene?)?

Regards

HPMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

what temp do you have the boiler set at? ..... :confused:

I have mine at 55c up to Christmas and 60c from Jan ... hoping to get thru the heating season with one full tank full (300 gals or say about 1350 ltrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Yep, got a rctp stating 500 litres. And my dipstick mark.
    Its definitely gone, it was about 350 for 500 litres.
    Boiler set to 60C
    I cant imagine it using 500 litres in a month even constantly on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't know if you can get a lock for the tank but it might be worth investing in a lock for the entrance into your back where the tank is or buy a cheapish cctv camera from the likes of Argos or Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Jumpy get your boiler checked if its not too well it will eat oil and that could empty your tank quicker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I cant imagine it using 500 litres in a month even constantly on though

nothing wrong with the temp (60c) ....... and if your boiler is starting ok and no black smoke (and remembering it's recently been serviced) I think someone is pinching your oil !!!! :(

My 300 gal tank costs 900.00 euro to fill (last time) .....

that's big money and oil is as good as cash !!!! :rolleyes: .......

you are going to have to beef up the security because they will come back again ...:mad: ..... that's for sure .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HPMan

Jumpy, are your radiators bled - do you have cold spots in them? Is it a new system? Does it have Fernox or similar (anti-corrosion fluid) in the system?

Boiler temp seems OK at 60deg. If you have a B&Q or similar place close by, they have very good leafets - free - for small scale DIY jobs like what to look out for if radiators are cold at the top as opposed to being cold at the bottom - means 2 different things.

HPMan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

HPMan wrote:
    Jumpy, are your radiators bled - do you have cold spots in them? Is it a new system? Does it have Fernox or similar (anti-corrosion fluid) in the system?

Boiler temp seems OK at 60deg. If you have a B&Q or similar place close by, they have very good leafets - free - for small scale DIY jobs like what to look out for if radiators are cold at the top as opposed to being cold at the bottom - means 2 different things.

HPMan

Ill pop down to B&Q as soon as I can afford heating oil again :mad:

Advertisement