Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seller not willing to give me VIN number???

Options
  • 20-02-2006 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to get a HPI check done there on a UK car, but the seller (private) wouldn't give the VIN number over the phone. I need this number to carry out a check online.

How can I do a HPI check now?
    Should I be weary of this seller?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I'd avoid that car like the plauge. What are his reasons for not giving the VIN over the phone? If everything was okay with the car, he shouldn't be reluctant at all to give the VIN over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Maybe he is cautious of a scam, isn't everybody these days? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

You're right. He seemed genuine enough on the phone, so perhaps he's weary it's a scam.

But then again, what harm could be done by giving the VIN to someone?

According to is-it-a-lemon.com
    " Feel free to confront the seller if the information in a vehicle history report is
    inconsistent with what you have been told about a car. And, of course, any seller who refuses to inform you of the VIN in question should be avoided.

HHmmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Dagon wrote:

But then again, what harm could be done by giving the VIN to someone?

That's it, fear of the unknown. Let him know what you found on is-it-a-lemon.com and see what kind of response you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Won't give you a Vin or is that to stop you doing a HPI check? dunno why you'd even look at it twice theres so many cars to choose from in the UK.

True, there are tons of great examples out there.

Just after ringing another seller also in the UK whose car looks sweet, and he had no problems giving out those details - along with anything else I might need! He's going to email them over to me asap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

What is the VIN number ? what does this mean ?

Vehicle identification number, or chassis number. Unique to each vehicle.

Also need the MOT Certificate number and car reg in order to carry out the HPI check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The reason why he won't give you the VIN over the phone is that it's possible to
    get a key cut for the vehicle with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The reason why he won't give you the VIN over the phone is that it's possible to

I doubt it. On many of the new Opel Vectra and Vivaro's, the VIN number is displayed through the window on the dashboard. I think you need more than a VIN to get a key for a vehicle, such as proof of ownership.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Max_Damage wrote:
    I doubt it. On many of the new Opel Vectra and Vivaro's, the VIN number is displayed through the window on the dashboard. I think you need more than a VIN to get a key for a vehicle, such as proof of ownership.

Yep. Visible vins are supposedly a security feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Max_Damage wrote:

Yes, a visable VIN in the front windscreen has been standard on most cars for a few years now. Actually I think it may be a EU regulation these days.

So in otherwords, warning bells should be ringing if a seller refuses to give you the VIN and MOT details.

Just walk away....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

The VIN does not convery sufficient information to enable anyone to re-generate the key.

I asked a garage guy, who knew me reasonably well if he could cut a key using the VIN. Not possible. I needed other codes, which he said were on the lock itself, and ot obtain those, I needed to remove the door liner.

If it were that easy, no car in the US would be safe, the VIN is on display.

I don't know the possible other reason, other than you might learn it was crashed or had a history, or he was saying it was eg 2000 per the registration, when in fact it was 1999, per the VIN year.

You could always ask the seller to do the HPI check and forward it to you, course it would not be much of a reference without the VIN, cause I could easily do a vin check on its brother, which had a good history, etc.

Anyway, plenty cars out there, no need to get bother over one difficult seller.

Advertisement