Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom problem

Options
  • 20-02-2006 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently had a phone line installed by Eircom.
    Initially (after calling and giving out) I was told it would be two months minimum but I managed to get it in in two weeks.
    So everything was done on that end. Now on to getting Broadband.
    I'd planned to go with Netsource (for an office) but they told me it'd take 3 weeks, after calling around I opted for Digiweb.
    They'd said 10days and they were considerably cheaper.
    The first thing was to get Eircom to enable the line for Broadband, Digiweb took care of this and a day later they called back to say I was ready to go if I wanted to place the order.
    I promptly did that and that's where things ground to a halt.
    Digiweb can't proceed with the order because my account details have not been registered with Eircom.
    I've called Eircom, several times, and the voice-automated system can't find my details but when I get through to one of the "customer-service" agents they say I'm on the system.
    This is becoming a royal pain in the punani.
    I've better things to be doing with my time than dealing with some Eircom drone who hasn't a clue and only ends up peeing me off even more.

Should Digiweb be able to sort this?
    Are Digiweb up to much?
    If Eircom don't give me any help on this tomorrow what can I do then?
    I've called ComReg about another issue before and found them utterly useless, am I right in saying that the Irish consumer has no backup in matters like this whatsoever?
    The only thing I can think of doing is writing a letter to the Minister for Communication, but that'll probably be a pointless exercise too.

I'm making the call first thing tomorrow, so cheers if you get back to me and let me know what I can use to light a fire under these pr!cks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Good luck, you'll need it.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Can Eircom legally do this:
    a friend wrote:
    Well, after long telephone calls and Emails it appears that having ISDN is my major problem as Eircom has to come out and disconnect at a fee!! BT won't connect without Eircom disabling ISDN!! I can save this charge if I get Eircom broadband. So I will do it for 6 months and then move to the next option probably BT. Getting the home plus 1mb/128kb

This guiy was also cold called by Eircom after the exchange was upgraded but before the other operators were told (as mentioned in an earlier post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

watty wrote:
    Can Eircom legally do this:

This guiy was also cold called by Eircom after the exchange was upgraded but before the other operators were told (as mentioned in an earlier post).

Seems to be a recurring theme- it was Imagine that cold-called me, but it makes no ends.

AS FOR THE CHAP IN QUESTION:-

My advice would be to speak to BT. Get them to handle it for you. They're as fast as tepid molasses and some of the decisons they make will perplex you [they were able to get me signed up to Broadband but I had to wait another week to get my phone line...Kind of like putting the cart ahead of the ass] BUT if you call 1800 923 924 they are always there to put you right, and once you're up and running it's all good.

He did speak to BT. They won't do anything till the line is downgraded from ISDN to POTS. Eircom charge for this UNLESS Eircom are supplying the new ADSL. Sounds like an abuse of postion.

Imagine didn't cold call about an adsl upgrade they had done and had told no-one else about. It was not the cold call that was the issue. It was the fact that at that stage ringing and email and website none of the other operators had been informed of the upgrade, thu sgiving Eircom a period of market exclusivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

an update - everything "seems" to be going ahead now, and without losing the rag!

Like the last poster, what's the deal with Eircom having full control of the phone lines?
    Is it feasible for this market to be opened?
    Would that result in faster rollout of broadband and rid us of the general jiggery-pokery we presently have?

• Advertisement

It's the LLU issue. Was supposed to happen years ago. Eircom has made it near impossible to implement.

It would help hugely. Also if others could fit adsl to exchanges (we would have ISDN compatible ASDL and VDSL then). Some allege that Eircom's Broadband advertising and exchange enabling program is primarily designed to ensure Regulator does NOT force opening up of Exchanges to other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

watty wrote:
    He did speak to BT. They won't do anything till the line is downgraded from ISDN to POTS. Eircom charge for this UNLESS Eircom are supplying the new ADSL. Sounds like an abuse of postion.

Imagine didn't cold call about an adsl upgrade they had done and had told no-one else about. It was not the cold call that was the issue. It was the fact that at that stage ringing and email and website none of the other operators had been informed of the upgrade, thu sgiving Eircom a period of market exclusivity.

Theres an easy way out of that, tell them you are signing up for ADSL and as soon as the line is POTS or PSTN again, just say you'd like to exercise your right of free association and tell them you're not interested in ADSL

Then ring BT

Advertisement