Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Moloney for VP/C&D - Manifesto

Options
  • 20-02-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Well, here ya go. I'd really appreciate any feedback you'd have on it so let us know.

Have fun ripping it to shreds! ;)
    Introduction:

My name is David Moloney. I am currently in my final year of a BA degree in Media Studies and Classics. In the upcoming elections, I am running for the position of VP/Communications & Development Officer.

From my first year in Maynooth I have been actively involved in the Students’ Union. During 1st year I was an active member of the Ents Crew (now Events Crew); I also acted as a class rep for 1st Philosophy.

For the past two years I have served as Finance Officer on the SU Executive. In this time, I have sat on many committees, including Student Affairs Committee, Capitation Committee, SU Finance Committee and SU Events Committee. In doing so I have learned a lot about the operation of both the SU and the University.

With regard to SU publications, I have been involved in designing and obtaining advertising for The Spoke, assisted with poster design (e.g. Crime Awareness Week poster), and assisted with layout editing for this year’s 1st year handbook. I have a good working knowledge of QuarkXpress and am proficient in Photoshop, the two main programmes used to produce our paper, handbook and posters.

Over the past three years I have also had strong involvement with Clubs and Societies, having been the PRO of the Literary and Debating Society, as well as President of the Comedy Society.

Below I’ve outlined my main ideas for the position of VP/C&D. Any queries, suggestions or ideas you may have are more than welcome; you can e-mail me at davidmoloney1@gmail.com.

Communications:

I think the paper has seen a great improvement recently in terms of layout; an area of sub-editing I would like to concentrate on next year would be typos as I feel this could be tightened up on. People often talk of student relevancy with the paper. Again recent improvements have been made (e.g. the Sports section). A number of other additions to improve relevancy I would like to make to the newspaper would be:
    • Small-ads section: with the introduction of a new poster policy, notice boards around the college have become swamped with adverts, making them inefficient. A small-ads section to the paper would allow students to advertise their books for sale/room to let etc. where they would be seen free of charge.

• ‘What’s On’: A TV guide style ‘what’s on’ section outlining all clubs & society events for the fortnight (not necessarily just ones on in the SU). Again, something which could be of great use with the restrictions of the new poster policy.

• Competitions: Something I would like to see more of in The Spoke. Introduced recently by Cormac O’Malley (Sports Ed.), I think they could add another element to the paper if used more regularly.

Our website, nuimsu.com, is currently under renovation. Some changes which I would like to see implemented include:
    • Enquiry Form: Currently the website has a form which sends an e-mail to our secretary, Mary MacCourt. While this is sufficient for general enquiries, I would like to see the option to contact anyone within the union – be it your class rep, an executive officer or one of the sabbaticals.

• Interactive Map: At present, students looking for a lecture in Room 62 are told by nuim.ie that it’s ‘above the Bookshop, South Campus’… I would like to see an interactive map on our website, whereby individual locations (and their services) could be highlighted on mouse-over, with relevant information given. I think this would be a valuable service; we have all been a lost 1st Year student at one stage or another.

• Multimedia: I think we could make more use of the potential space of the website. Podcasts/videos (of sports reports, features, interviews with bands etc.) could easily be put up on the website. I think this would provide an added element to communications along with the paper. This is also a realistic short term goal which would stand to us if we decided to apply for a radio licence in the future.

Class Rep. System:
    • Class Rep. Mentor System: An idea conceived in 2003/04 but unfortunately never realised, a mentor system is something I would like to see brought into place. The idea is that before each Union Council, a member of the Exec. would meet with a small group of Class Reps and discuss the upcoming agenda items. Especially of benefit to quieter reps who might not ask questions at Union Council, this system also means that Reps can give their classes an informed idea of what they will be voting on.

• Class Rep. Handbook: A great idea in theory, the Class Rep. handbook is not very informative in practice. I wish to overhaul the handbook in order for Class Reps to have a good reference point for Union procedure.

• Class Rep. Pigeon-Holes: While a lot of Class Reps are enthusiastic about the Students’ Union, many can be daunted by standing in front of very big classes and often communication can break down. Oftentimes people may not know who their Class Reps are and so are unable to approach them. As well as the enquiry form on the website, another idea I would like to implement would be Class Rep. pigeon-holes. Clubs and Societies currently each have their own pigeon-holes to receive post; I think this could be of huge benefit to classes for getting in touch with their rep.

Clubs and Societies:
    • Clubs and Societies Council: People running clubs and societies give up a lot of their free time to them. Currently, C&S Council is seen by many as being a waste of time; any decisions made there having to be brought to Union Council for ratification. I wish to bring changes to this structure whereby C&S Council would receive autonomy in matters that relate purely to Clubs and Societies.

• Capitation Structures: I wish to reassess the current capitation structures such as the marking scheme for Clubs and Societies – last year an alternative marking scheme for non-team sports was suggested, yet never put in place. With a huge increase in the amount (and type) of C&S, these structures badly need to be looked at so as not to discriminate against certain groups.

• Clubs and Societies Handbook: Building on the current capitation handbook, I would like to draft a booklet which would incorporate what is involved when booking the Venue, applying to Special Events, making a Bar-Ex application, how to prepare for audits, etc. These areas should be made as clear as possible to C&S, especially people who may not be aware of the systems in place.

• Practice Rooms: We currently have two soundproofed rooms in the Students’ Union; I would like to see these fitted out with a piano and drums, with a booking system put in place. Especially with the current situation of a lack of music practice rooms in the college, this is a service which should be maximised to its full potential.

Thank you for taking the time to read my manifesto. Unfortunately I haven’t the room here to expand on some of these points, but I would welcome any questions or comments either in person or by e-mail (davidmoloney1@gmail.com). Please pass on or recycle.

VOTE DAVID MOLONEY #1 FOR VP/COMMUNICATIONS & DEVELOPMENT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Marco Polo

Again recent improvements have been made (e.g. the Sports section).

What improvements? It's exactly the same but with a different team of writers.
    Clubs and Societies Council: People running clubs and societies give up a lot of their free time to them. Currently, C&S Council is seen by many as being a waste of time; any decisions made there having to be brought to Union Council for ratification. I wish to bring changes to this structure whereby C&S Council would receive autonomy in matters that relate purely to Clubs and Societies.

Isn't that something entirely unrelated to your position?
    Interactive Map: At present, students looking for a lecture in Room 62 are told by nuim.ie that it’s ‘above the Bookshop, South Campus’… I would like to see an interactive map on our website, whereby individual locations (and their services) could be highlighted on mouse-over, with relevant information given. I think this would be a valuable service; we have all been a lost 1st Year student at one stage or another.

Lost 1st Years usually don't get on the computers until later in the term. Maybe, you'd be better off getting a proper map out to them instead of the current one.
    Our website, nuimsu.com, is currently under renovation. Some changes which I would like to see implemented include:

Would you say you can maintain a website or will someone else be contracted in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

you want to do something about the lack of practice rooms??? hmmm I'm interested.

Also bear in mind the logic tends to get ignored alot and some of us music students don't have lectures on north campus. The spoke seems to be having problems in getting to logic house this year even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Marco Polo wrote:
    What improvements? It's exactly the same but with a different team of writers.

The latest issue of The Spoke has reports on the Camogie Club's Semi-Final, the Men's Soccer Club's performance in the Sigerson Cup, the Ladies' Soccer Club's league performance, a report on both the Men's and Ladies' Rugby Club matches as well as an editorial about sport within college life. This is much more relevance to college sport that other years or even earlier issues from this year.

Marco Polo wrote:

No, not at all. Just something that a lot of candidates seem to ignore when running for the position.
    (8.3) Vice-President / Communications and Development Officer:

(d)Shall be responsible, with the aid of the Sabbatical Officers, for developing and maintaining an effective Class Representative System.

(f) Shall, with the Clubs and Societies Officers, be responsible for overseeing the development and maintenance of and effective support structure for Clubs and Societies.
    Marco Polo wrote:
    Lost 1st Years usually don't get on the computers until later in the term. Maybe, you'd be better off getting a proper map out to them instead of the current one.

I would like an actually up to date map in the first year handbook as well. 1st years were an example - every week loads of students come into the SU looking for lecture theatres which they don't know where they are/looking for the medical centre etc. They aren't just first years either!
    Marco Polo wrote:
    Would you say you can maintain a website or will someone else be contracted in?

As I said, the website is currently being redone, so it wouldn't be about coding a website from scratch. That said, I am capable enough to make some formatting changes in html if necessary.

Whoever takes over the website, it will have some sort of form interface for updating it, so week-to-week maintenance shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

petals wrote:
    you want to do something about the lack of practice rooms??? hmmm I'm interested.

With soundproofed rooms already in the SU I definitely think it'd be something to look at - a lot of music students have mentioned about the lack of practice rooms; while this wouldn't solve the problem, it is something which should be easy enough to do and is a step on the way.

petals wrote:
    Also bear in mind the logic tends to get ignored alot and some of us music students don't have lectures on north campus. The spoke seems to be having problems in getting to logic house this year even.

I have gone over myself with some Spokes to Logic so I hope some are getting there! :)

At the same time, I know distribution has always been an issue. I would like to see regular drop points for The Spoke both on the North & South Campuses which are updated regularly, so that people know exactly where they can get a copy.

Something else to look into would be getting a notice board on the South Campus - while I know Monsignor Farrell isn't too keen on an outside notice board being erected, a SU notice board in Logic/Loftus might be something to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Feathers wrote:
    Clubs and Societies Council: People running clubs and societies give up a lot of their free time to them. Currently, C&S Council is seen by many as being a waste of time; any decisions made there having to be brought to Union Council for ratification. I wish to bring changes to this structure whereby C&S Council would receive autonomy in matters that relate purely to Clubs and Societies.
    Marco Polo wrote:

Actually, no. VP Comms and Dev deals with developing the various systems and procedures that the SU operate. One of the key responsibilities the position entails is to manage the operation of Clubs and Socs Council along with the Clubs and Socs Officers. The class reps system and various other activities of a similar line are, in theory at least, the responsibility of VP Comms and Dev.

• Advertisement
Advertisement