Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my TV ****ed?

Options
  • 20-02-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Have an LG tele - only about 2 years old - has this evening started turning on and off by itself:eek: Creepy...it turns on then immediately switches off again - doing this in rapid succession. Will I be able to get it fixed or does this mean a new TV? Sorry if this is in the wrong place - didn't know where else to put it.

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Loose scart lead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Already checked - everything appears to be fine...

I always check the simple things first. Are you sure the plug itself is ok? Is it sealed? Take the fuse out and re-seat it. If you are you using a plug bar does it still do this if plugged in directly?

Have you an ammeter? is your mains power fluctuating?

Checked plug and fuse - both seem fine - no power fluctations... What is an ammeter?

• Advertisement

A fancy volt meter:D

Ok!! So what you reckon? A trip for a new one or can I get someone to repair it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're looking for a repairman there's a great guy in Rathfarnham. Had my Philips 28" WS repaired in one day!!! See this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=284612

Kennedy TV
    55 Main St
    Rathfarnham D14

(01) 4904399

Thanks for that Alun... might be of help. Was hoping to find someone in the Wicklow area but I see you are from Bray so yer man may be my best option...Will give him a call and see.

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP don't give up this chance to get a new TV!!!! - you can get something fancy without feeling guilty!! :D

• Advertisement

I know - it's such a drag ain't it?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

skye wrote:
    - has this evening started turning on and off by itself:eek: Creepy...it turns on then immediately switches off again - doing this in rapid succession.

.......it's time for the old holy water, if you ask me...............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

skye wrote:
    Have an LG tele - only about 2 years old - has this evening started turning on and off by itself:eek: Creepy...it turns on then immediately switches off again - doing this in rapid succession. Will I be able to get it fixed or does this mean a new TV? Sorry if this is in the wrong place - didn't know where else to put it.

Thanks...
    Is one of the kids standing outside the room with the remote flickin it on & off?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

This happened my parents a few years ago.
    Turns out the power button on the remote was dodgey, and was powering the tv on & off randomly.

Take the batteries out of the remotes and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

It is more than likely that the TV is starting to fail, happened on my Panasonic 32". It turns itself off when it starts to over heat as a precaution. To take some of the pressure off it turn down the contrast and colour a bit on the TV and this will lessen the frequency of it happening, but start budgeting for a new TV, as it will get progressively worse. These days it is often far cheaper to buy a new TV than repair one as parts and labour often cost more than an equivalent new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

skye wrote:
    Thanks for that Alun... might be of help. Was hoping to find someone in the Wicklow area but I see you are from Bray so yer man may be my best option...Will give him a call and see.

Cheers!!
    Yep, he's a TV repairman of the "old school" that actually repairs things himself rather than just sending them away somewhere ... a dying breed. Definitely recommended, and getting it mended rather than chucking it on the scrap heap is environmentally more responsible IMHO. It is only 2 years old after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I once had a wierd problem with my tv it kept doing random stuff like switching off changing channel and volume adjusting by itself. I figured it was the remote cos when I hid it the telly was fine.

I opened up the remote and found it was full of milk. Cleaned it out and dried it and it worked.

In case your wondering how the milk got there I enquired with my brothers and one admitted he dropped the remote into his cereal while watching telly.
    He was in knots laughing telling me

Hi guys,

Been away for a few days but TV seems ok now - I removed the batteries from the remote and just using the Sky one now. Thanks to all who helped!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭casey jones

It could be the power unit is failing. I have a TV since 1988 and the only repairs I have ever needed are the power unit replaced three times for circa €40 each time. Still has a perfect picture, none of the elongated blobby men you see on the widescreen. A lot of TV repair companies have gone out of business but there are still a few around.

Advertisement