Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting tax back from J1 visa work

Options
  • 20-02-2006 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I worked in the US last summer and want to try get tax back. I have a W-2 form but I want to do it myself, rather than paying the tax back companies. How do i get the forms and what do i do from there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

this is the soap operas forum dude, you might get a faster responce here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Mod Alert!!!!

Request to have this thread moved please!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MOD EDIT: Moved to Business/Economy/Finance. Not sure if it's the right category, but somebody there shoudl be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

stcarrol wrote:
    I worked in the US last summer and want to try get tax back. I have a W-2 form but I want to do it myself, rather than paying the tax back companies. How do i get the forms and what do i do from there?

Download form 1040NR-EZ from internal revenue service website www.irs.gov

You basically need to take the earned income credit, I think it's about 3,200 this year, you can look it up on one of the irs publications, and put that on line 13

File it with the part of the w-2 for federal taxes with the irs. You need to file some other forms if you paid social security tax (which you're exempt from on a j1).

Next it depends which state you worked in. Go to their dept. of revenue website, fill out their return (e.g. for Illinois it would be IL1040), send off appropriate part of w-2.

Some cities also have income taxes, e.g. New york, go to new york dept. of revenue (or whatever they call it google is your friend) Send off form with appropriate part of w-2.

Wait several weeks for cheque to arrive.

Easy, and taxback demand 25% for this.

Advertisement