Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Pigeon.

Options
  • 20-02-2006 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I rescued a sick Pigeon this evening. It seems that a local grain storage depot is coating the grain with a chemical the make the birds die from hypothermia, is this true as some one told me if I keep the bird in a warm place it should be O.K. in the morning. I have the bird in a box in the kitchen near a heater and it seems to be doing O.K. I put some water and food in the box too. Any ideas or has anyone come across a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How do you know its sick? I rescued a coupla pigeons when i was a kid and sometimes it was merely a hungry pigeon that gorged itself on grain after crossing the channel until it couldnt fly

Does it have any tags? Im going to be blunt and say i'd never go near a pigeon sick or otherwise now, the fecking thing might decide to hang around and then you'll have a horde of the buggers hanging around :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It seemed to be falling asleep on its feet if you know what I mean. I picked it up and it didn't really struggle. I know for a fact that the grain store is poisoned as the crowd that put the poising were bragging about it and there are a few dead bodies around the yard. No it doesn't have tags. It is a wood pigeon so I'll release it away from were I found it so it doesn't fly back to where I found it, if its O.K. in the morning. I've rescued pigeons before and reared them from chicks and they never hung around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

i'll let the family know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

junkyard wrote:
    It is a wood pigeon

I thought you were on about "standard" pigeons, but wood pigeons are particularly shy aren't they ? Must be in a bad way then if you were able to pick it up.

Pigeon still alive this morning but seems a bit groggy but better than yesterday. Has anyone any ideas what I should do for it? If it doesn't get any better I might take it to the vet. I'd hate to see it suffering.:(

13.50. Pigeon has just flown away and seems to be O.K. anyone who's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fair play for looking after it :) nice thing to do

Thanks, I hate to see anything suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good for you - I HATE it when birds are poisend!

Advertisement