Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic network question

Options
  • 20-02-2006 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i want to network my pc which has onboard lan and my dell axim which has wifi built in.i will be getting dsl broadband in the future and probably will put all the hardware beside the pc.should i buy a wireless router and plug the pc direct into the router or do i get a wireless router /modem .is the dsl modem supplied when i get broadband?.is there much configuration involved for the network and internet sharing and do i need a partcular model of router.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

davelerave wrote:
    i want to network my pc which has onboard lan and my dell axim which has wifi built in.i will be getting dsl broadband in the future and probably will put all the hardware beside the pc.should i buy a wireless router and plug the pc direct into the router or do i get a wireless router /modem .is the dsl modem supplied when i get broadband?.is there much configuration involved for the network and internet sharing and do i need a partcular model of router.thanks

Eircom wireless routers come with a cable connectivity too, so thats all you should need,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

hi.do i need a router or could i put a wifi card in the pc for the network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

u can point to point however using a router is a prefered option, more stable and u need 1 anyway for web access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭andy1249

As far as I know all the main broadband suppliers now supply wireless adsl router/ modems ,
    In order to set up a wireless router you only need to connect the computer to it once , when the router has been set with all your broadband providers details , it can then be disconnected from the computer and placed anywhere in the house , any PC with a wireless dongle can then access it and any other computer connected to it .

This is my setup and it works fine , never had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

ok.dsl may be a while away (the exchange will be enabled soon).what would i get now to network the axim the pc and a printer and allow for dsl later.should i get a wireless router only or router/dsl modem and any suggestions for a simple model

• Advertisement
Advertisement