Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASDL filters (eircom)

• 21-02-2006 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine has Eircom BB. Hes has two phones in the house. One has a normal phone the other a wireless phone. The PC is connected at the point with the Wireless phone and the ASDL filter is there. This has worked fine for ages. However hes just got one of those Eircom Siemens phones and pulled it in where the normal phones was. This seems to kill his BB unless he dials out on the phone first. If he plugs back in the old phone hes doesn't have to do this. I assume he needs a ASDL filter on both extensions? Why did it work before and doesn't work with this new phone? He phone watch installed aswell btw.

Don't moan to me about all the eircom stuff he doesn't listen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you need filters on all extenstions that are in use.

be it extra phones, alarms, sky boxes etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cremo wrote:
    you need filters on all extenstions that are in use.

be it extra phones, alarms, sky boxes etc. etc.
    True. Plus DECT phones have been known to cause problems with BB. Even with the filter it may still cause problems.
    With the old phone the only real problem it could cause is the BB disconnects every time the phone rings. It could have been happening unknown to him (especially if he wasn't a heavy user) and the modem reconnects itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Just shows how Eircom deals with customers. Flogs them a phone without checking does he have BB in which case he'll need a filter. Still he gave them an earful about it. I didn't realise he had a new phone on another extension, it never occured to me to ask. I just though it was odd that it worked before and he now needed to make a outgoing call to use the BB. I guess when he rang eircom, they looked at his account and realised they'd sent him a new phone!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just shows how Eircom deals with customers. Flogs them a phone without checking does he have BB in which case he'll need a filter. Still he gave them an earful about it. I didn't realise he had a new phone on another extension, it never occured to me to ask. I just though it was odd that it worked before and he now needed to make a outgoing call to use the BB. I guess when he rang eircom, they looked at his account and realised they'd sent him a new phone!

Why should Eircom check if someone has broadband before they sell them a phone? Should microwave sellers check if someone has wireless broadband before they sell them a mircowave etc etc? It is pretty well known that you need a filter for each phone in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

On any Eircom adsl info pack I have read while setting up BB for folks I have always highlighed the need for filter on every phone in the text to the customer.

On one house I fitted the filter in the attic on incomming line feeding all his phones and a dedicated new wire from attic to his adsl "modem".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

you certainly need a filter on all phones .... well, that's what I was told .....:rolleyes: .....

you might be able to talk them into sending you an extra filter free :confused: if you have a 'cute' voice and talking to the opposite sex when you call them :) .....

otherwise they will sell you a pack of three :eek: (filters!!!!) for 25.00 euros .... :p
    He has phone watch installed aswell btw.

I have a Siemens dect phone as my first phone and a regular phone plus Pc at the extension .... and they are working fine ..... I wonder if the "Phone Watch" setup is causing a problem :confused: ..... Eircom reckon you need a home installation from them if you have a security system via phone watch??? ..... I would talk to them .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can run any number of phones up to REN limit of the number of phones you can have off one filter.

The Phonewatch uses modem and dialup to internet. Many people with it don't have functional Internet access on their dialup. So it never succeeds in "phoning home" :)

So yes the Phonewatch needs to have a filter or be connected after the filter.

WITHOUT a FILTER.
    Some phones and modems will not interfer with ADSL till they go "off hook" (making or answering a call), others will interfer with ADSL all the time.

A single filter and then splitting line to all the phones / modems/fax etc can work as well or better than separate filters, though it means the aDSL box can't be moved and won't work on any of the phone points.

dub45 wrote:
    Why should Eircom check if someone has broadband before they sell them a phone? Should microwave sellers check if someone has wireless broadband before they sell them a mircowave etc etc? It is pretty well known that you need a filter for each phone in the house.

If its a known issue yes they should check. In my experience its more efficient to avoid support issues as a rule. Especially if you are providing multiple services to the same customer, which may interfere withone another, and you have all their records in your db.

I didn't know. Its not mentioned in the documentation that I saw, and it did work with an old phone on an extension without a filter.

hobie wrote:
    ...Eircom reckon you need a home installation from them if you have a security system via phone watch....

You are probably right. Its an older in law. I was only drafted in to see why the net had stopped working. AFAIK Eircom have never raised the PhoneWatch as an issue with him, though I did tell him he should get it checked. I don't generally trust what Eircom say either. As having worked in Eircom I know that alot of eircom people don't know how their own equipment works. I just get my ear bent about any PC/Net issue with this guy as I work in IT.

Thanks for the constructive info. Cheers.

If its a known issue yes they should check. In my experience its more efficient to avoid support issues as a rule. Especially if you are providing multiple services to the same customer, which may interfere withone another, and you have all their records in your db.

I didn't know. Its not mentioned in the documentation that I saw, and it did work with an old phone on an extension without a filter.

How exactly did Eircom sell him this phone given that afaik they do not have any retail outlest anymore? And how can selling a phone be considered as part of a support issue? Are you suggesting now that everyone who sells phones should be asking the customer if they have broadband?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    How exactly did Eircom sell him this phone given that afaik they do not have any retail outlest anymore? And how can selling a phone be considered as part of a support issue? Are you suggesting now that everyone who sells phones should be asking the customer if they have broadband?

Eircom ring all their customers on a regular basis to try and flog them anything. Or indeed anyone on their database. Current craze is to ring them up to replace old phones on rental with a Siemens wireless phone. They deliver it to you. I dunno how exactly as only have line rental with them, and asked them to stop ringing a long time ago. Listen its not like they are cold calling with products that are unrelated. They are looking at your account then they are selling these to you over the phone. They are looking at your bill they can see your being billed for BB. They are selling hundreds probably thousands of these things to their customers all over the country.

Its called customer service. Its extinct in this country.

Eircom ring all their customers on a regular basis to try and flog them anything. Or indeed anyone on their database. Current craze is to ring them up to replace old phones on rental with a Siemens wireless phone. They deliver it to you. I dunno how exactly as only have line rental with them, and asked them to stop ringing a long time ago. Listen its not like they are cold calling with products that are unrelated. They are looking at your account then they are selling these to you over the phone. They are looking at your bill they can see your being billed for BB. They are selling hundreds probably thousands of these things to their customers all over the country.

Its called customer service. Its extinct in this country.

You dont know that the people selling these phones are even Eircom employess or with access to your account or to what internet products anyone may have. Lots of companies employ agencies to do their calling for them.

dub45 wrote:
    You dont know that the people selling these phones are even Eircom employess or with access to your account or to what internet products anyone may have. Lots of companies employ agencies to do their calling for them.

Actually I do know. Ive been there. ;)

Actually I do know. Ive been there. ;)

You dont know about this particular case.

dub45 wrote:
    You dont know about this particular case.

No I don't know 100% certain but as I worked in Eircom I reckon I'd be 95% correct.

No I don't know 100% certain but as I worked in Eircom I reckon I'd be 95% correct.

Anyways theres no point in taking up valuable boards space neither of us is going to change our view I guess :D but I really think it is absolute nonsense to suggest that anyone selling a phone (of any description) should be asking the person concerned if they have broadband and there I rest my case!

Yeah its not like one thing effects the other.

Advertisement