Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat6 cable from upstaris to downstairs.. a builder question?

Options
  • 21-02-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

hi,

i have a question on cabling. i live in a house that is about 15 years old. i want to run cat6 cable from the living room into my attic. a wireless solution will not suffice and i am trying to avoid running the cable outside if i can.

i took the air vent covers off downstairs and upstairs and i can see the glass fibre insulation. here is my question

can i try and run the cable down by the insulation and plasterboard to the downstairs?

i am wondering do builders (typically) just run the support beams into the walls to support the first floor and thereby (and with a lot of patience and work!) allow me to squeeze a cable to the downstairs vent or is it sealed with brickwork or flooring thereby making it nigh on impossible unless i drill through the floor?

sorry about the bad wording and description.

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

do you have a soil pipe running inside walls ? which would be vented in roof and probably running under floorboards in downstairs room

if yes nice conduit run for you to get your cables to downstairs

then either run the cables at ceiling level and cover with coving or run them at skirting board(removing skirting)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

beo,

without sounding too think (which i will)

what is soil pipe??

ahh...according to google -- its the ahem ...soil pipe..

do you mean the one outside the house...thats an option i suppose, its kinda hidden...

do you know if it is possible to wire inside tho...as i am trying to avoid outside drilling

thanks
    tom

waste pipe coming from sink/shower/bath taking waste to drains outside your house

depends on your house and location of upstairs bathrooms where they are positioned

check your bathrooms upstairs and see where they are terminated

not inside it, normally a lot of space either side of it

i ran all my coax and cat 5 cable downstairs via this route

• Advertisement

thanks beo...i will give that a try...

Advertisement