Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancakes

• 21-02-2006 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Pancake Tuesday is next week so I was just wondering how do you eat yours.

I like mine 3 different ways:
    1. With butter and sugar
    2. With golden syrup
    3. With ice cream

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My particular favourites:

Fresh Lemon juice and sugar.
    Honey.
    Maple Syrup.
    Raspberry Jam (good quality)/sauce and cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jahula

Plain with a bit of sugar. YUM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Has to be butter, sugar and lemon for desert for me.

For dinner, I make a ricotta and spinach filling w/ a dash of nutmeg etc, roll up the crepes like canneloni, only folding over the sides too. Pop in an oven dish, cover with a really good ragu (HOMEMADE! FOR GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE!), then covered in reggiano and thrown into the oven until bubbly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

really crispy streaky rashers and maple syrup, oooooh yum

hate with lemon, reminds me of washing up liquid

also delicious filled with ham and cheese and such savoury lovelys as chicken carbonara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Homemade stewed apple with cinnamon
    (have a load of this in the freezer ready to defrost next Monday night!!!)

Haagen Daaz or Ben & Jerrys with extra mushed up Flake for a pure sugar hit

Pancetta, onion, celery mix with parmesan or gruyere cheese

I bought a pack of crepes in Dunnes this morning to stick in the fridge - saves me going around like a headless chicken this day week desperately looking for pancakes and then making a terrible attempt at DIY ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

the way my family has made them is simple and tooth rottingly good!

Cream and brown sugar. simply heat some cream in a pot, add as much or little brown sugar as you can handle and you have to best damn syrup for pancakes ever!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Savoury Favourite: It has to be loads of melted red cheddar, don't know why but it's just so good with all the molten cheese! To that can be various meats but the cheese must be there!

Sweet Favourite: Butter and brown sugar, it's just so so good. Maple syrup isn't bad either but I really prefer that with American style pancakes rather than crepes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

With melted mars bars/snickers/various chocolate items one can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sweet favourite is fresh squeezed lemon juice and cane sugar (none of this jif muck). Savoury favourite has to be chili n cheese.

This thread causes much droolage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shabadu wrote:
    This thread causes much droolage.

I had forgotten about pancake tuesday. :)

I only eat them once a year really, so you can imagine how good they taste after such a wait....

charlesoldmission.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Nutella. Yum. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Butter lemon and sugar. When I was younger I used to have Nutella and sugar because I loved the crunchiness. Ugh. What was I thinking!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Butter lemon and sugar, the classic.
    Damn this thread is making me hungry. I think I'll make some this evening when I make my biscuits \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

babaduck wrote:
    I bought a pack of crepes in Dunnes this morning to stick in the fridge - saves me going around like a headless chicken this day week desperately looking for pancakes and then making a terrible attempt at DIY ones

Packaged crepes?? Blasphemy.

Guys, lets post up pics of our pancakes tomorrow. Kudos for the best looking will be handed out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I intend to be emulating this little dish tomorrow. Drooling at it now, While listening to a certain Podcast, Subliminal Messages regarding the Public Enemy Number 1 Award -- Who should be shot on sight? OMG, Ye have suggested me for it :D Am I really that annoying?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Shabadu wrote:
    Guys, lets post up pics of our pancakes tomorrow. Kudos for the best looking will be handed out!
    Is that some sort of cake? I'd take picture for cake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

netwhizkid wrote:
    Subliminal Messages regarding the Public Enemy Number 1 Award -- Who should be shot on sight? OMG, Ye have suggested me for it :D Am I really that annoying?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Talliesin wrote:
    Yes.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

Ok so, im a bit confussed. Do you people eat 5-6 pancakes for your dinner or do you just have 1-2 for dessert.

Sweet fillings suggest that its a dessert, but savoury fillings suggest that its a dinner.

I usually eat 5-6 pancakes with a sweet filling for my dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Savoury pancakes for me tonight methinks, I dont really do sweet ones.
    Dunno what filling they will get yet, will have to look when I get home.
    If I can be bothered and they turn out well, will throw up some photos.

Ok so, im a bit confussed. Do you people eat 5-6 pancakes for your dinner or do you just have 1-2 for dessert.

Sweet fillings suggest that its a dessert, but savoury fillings suggest that its a dinner.

I usually eat 5-6 pancakes with a sweet filling for my dinner.
    With the recipe I was talking about, we'd have about 2 for dinner, probably 2 or three for dessert, then have to lie prone on the sofa for a while, then swear to never eat pancakes again, until the following year, where we spend about a week anticipating them.

Looking forward to photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I picked up a packet of Instant Pancakes in Lidl yesterday evening, All I have to add is a medium sized egg. It says the mix will make 6 7Inch Pancakes. I shall be posting up my results after my dinner this evening. I also got a packet of readymades just in case things go pear shaped. Anyone here ever try Silver-Dollar Pancakes, I used to have them for breakfast regularly while Holidaying in New York last Summer. They were between 2 and 3 inches in Diameter. Lovely stuff. I ate like a pig on that holiday and still lost half a stone. The Heat and sweating is amazing for weight loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got the ones i usually get today... Cant think of the name.. something like ma.. something or other...

Anyway ready made.. usually 6+2 free... just stick in microwave for a few moments to heat.. they are pretty good. Got some cream too... have ben and Jerries if needed (half price at tesco)! Cant wait for my cream and brown sugar syrup... yum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

netwhizkid wrote:
    OMG, Ye have suggested me for it :D Am I really that annoying?

I wouldn't have thought so, but even so regardless, fightin_irish must be contesting fiercely for the top spot at this stage. ;)

Great news for me this pancake Tuesday. Moved house recently and still have no way to cook/fry food due to lack of necessary electrical equipment ;_;

And there's no way I'm buying those ones you get in a shop - I pesonally find them absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I just had one with Chocolate & Hazelnut spread, yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ah on that note - here's a good trick with pancakes as cogged from Jamie Oliver.

Flour, milk, eggs, pinch salt, tsp baking powder.

Separate egg yokes from whites. Mix yokes, flour, baking powder and milk to a smooth batter. In a separate bowl, beat whites and salt until the whites are stiff and stand up in peaks. Then gently fold whites into batter mixture. Using a ladle, spoon mixture onto a hot pan to create thick, fluffy, breakfast-style pancakes.

If you want to add something to these, like blueberries, then once the pancakes are done on one side, drop blueberries into the soft batter on the top before flipping them to cook on the other side.

The one caveat I'll say about these is that I find they can burn easily so a pan on two-thirds heat is better than a pan turned up high. Plus it allows them to cook through, which is important because they're thicker than normal crepe style pancakes.

I haven't started with measurements in here because I prefer to measure my flour-milk-egg mixtures by thickness than weights, because of the difference different sized eggs can make.

Mr Oliver recommends 125g flour, 3 large eggs, a heaped tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt and 110mls milk. I use those and tweak as appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I did some thick blueberry ones tonight - have to admit, after a shaky enough start (first time making them entirely from scratch), they were rather good!

Never tried blueberries before - I must admit, it's fun trying to eat them, kinda like pancake minesweeper...!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I tried to make them using batter and they stuck to the pan :( went up to Superquinn to get some hot ready made ones and they'd stopped making them.. So I ended up buying some pre-packed fruity crape things that tasted rotten :o So all in all my Pancake Tuesday was a disaster..

Advertisement