Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Burning Stove

Options
  • 21-02-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am putting a wood burning stove into my timber frame self build. The stove will only heat the single room so I have to use one that can generate about 4kw of heat would be sufficient. It would however need to take its air supply from outside the house as I am putting a Heat Revovery System in the house. We would like the stove to look very traditional. Has anyone fitted a simiar stove and if so where did they souce it from

Thanks,

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I have two "Fireplaces" one is an insert that need air from outside, it should be possible to adapt the air intake on a smaller stove to work the way you want it too.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder so the first thing to do is decide if you like the small stove then I could work on adapting it to work like the fireplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am unsure what exactly you are requesting? Is it that you think that you need a Balanced flue? Or is it that you are worried that the HRV system is going to interfere with the combustion of the stove?
    I have a HRV system and also a Solid fuel stove from Morso, It is the smallest model *squirrel* and is just a standard model with Airwash in matt black. with a matt black flue up to the ceiling height. from the next floor on it is Stainless twinwall flue.
    We are hoping that the Black flue will also provide much better heat radiation than the twinwall.
    We got our stove from a guy in Cork called Flor O'Mahony
    Stove was 980 and the Poujoulat flue and associated fittings brought the total to 2200.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I have talked to my HRV company and they said I will not need to take the air from outside as the Stove is only 6KW and so the HRV wil be able to proved the aire required by it. I am putting in into an existing chimney. Is there a sufficient benefit in buying a special flue to go up the chimney?

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I cannot advise on the benefit of building a chimney, my rationale is that if you are fitting a HRV system you will want to make your house as airtight as possible.
    What you don't want is a leaky chimney as it will allow a lot of airloss, that is why we went for a flue type system,
    the flue is sealed to the stove and sealed all the way up, allowing good combustion and more importantly control of the air entering the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If your chimney is a standard flue there is a "Flue Adapter" available to reduce the diameter of the existing flue to suit your stove.

• Advertisement
Advertisement