Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An dtuigeann tú?

Options
  • 21-02-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Being next to the Gaeltacht - how many people here in Galway City forum would use Irish on a regular basis? Myself, I just use words like grá, leaba etc thrown in with my english.

Nil moran Gaeilge agam 28 votes

I'm fluent and use it often
    0% 0 votes
    I'm pretty good but don't use it much
    21% 6 votes
    Can speak a few words here and there
    35% 10 votes
    English only. Not a word of Irish
    42% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I used irish for the first time outside of school in I think it was 2005 ... venue was Arus Na nGael ... and I was with a load of french :D .... was actually a great buzz to have a bit of a conversation with someone ... kinda sad though .. that I was 25 before I used irish ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Besides a few words all I can remember is "rith me ar nos na gaoithe". I was thaught to learn off a load of 'usefull' phrases like that for writing essays but little effort was made to break down everyday spoken Irish into an approachable subject. pity. I'd really like to learn though, I might give that "Turas Teannga" thing with sharon ni bheolain a lash but I'll probably learn nothing if I'm not forced to speak it.

I know a few other basic phrases: Cén chaoi ina bhfuil tu? (I think that's how it's spelled...I always hear it on aran but the accent can be difficult) means how are you? (more like: what state are you in?)
    My stock reply: Táim go maith (Táim instead of tá mé)

Dhá phointe guinness le do thoill means 2 pints of guinness please (dunno if le do thoill is always used) and oiche mhaith means good night,...that usually gets me through a weekend in Aran :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is as Cathair na Gaillimhe me, is labhairim an teanga gach la.
    Nil na sini fada ag obair ar mo riomhaire inniu is taim an-bhuartha faoi shin!

Bain triail as gaeilge a usaid sa chaithair nios minic, mar ta neart daoine ag conai is ag obair ann a bhfuil i bhfad nios mo na an cupla focal acu ach nach bhfuil fhios agatsa futhu..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Sini fada? brúnn tú CTRL, ALT agus an litir nó Alt Gr agus an litir.
    An bhfuil aon foclóir saor nó cómhra-leabhair ( :p ) ar an idirline?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sini fada? brúnn tú CTRL, ALT agus an litir nó Alt Gr agus an litir.
    An bhfuil aon foclóir saor nó cómhra-leabhair ( :p ) ar an idirline?

yes...

i wish i knew more irish than i do, and everyone thinks that because i grew up in Donegal i should know loads but i'm gonna blame it all on my national school. heck one of my teachers even said to my Ma that irish just wasn't important and nobody bothered about it anymore.

b@stards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bhíos agam sin SilverLining ach níor raibh siad ag obair ar an ríomhaire aisteach iúd.
    Ar aon nós , buíochas faoi a thaispeáint dúinn
    ..cén t-oilean a bhfuil tú lonnaithe ar?

http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ná bi ag utamail... (don't be messing)

Advertisement