Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

406 coupe

Options
  • 21-02-2006 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

I just bought a 99 406 coupe. Its in great condition, and only got its nct last week. However, i've noticed that one of the brake pads seems to be gone, sounds like its metal on metal. anybody have any ideas how much this will cost to fix?
    any other things i should look out for?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It would not have passed the NCT with a brake pad gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

yeh i wouldnt have thought so either, but i have the papers. passed the nct on the 17-2-06

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Depending on the car, design of caliper and wheels fitted it may not be easy to see how thick a brake pad is without removing the wheel. NCT testers are not allowed to remove wheels. So there is a possibility that the car could have passed the NCT with a badly worn pad.

Also AFAIK some pads have a metal wire in them that is designed to make noise or cause a warning light to come on when it comes into contact with the disc. This is a warning that the brake pad is almost worn out and needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

On a more optomistic note, it could just be a bit of grit caught between the pad and the disc. Is it getting better or worse?

hasnt changed really only had it five days now. booked it into to my mechanic for thursday. he always get the job done. anyone know how much a replacement pad would be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pads themselves are cheap enough. €30 perhaps.

Pads themselves are cheap enough. €30 perhaps.

probably be 100 for the labour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Brake pads shouldn't cost too much, and more importantly, you've got yourself a great Car.

I had a '00 406 Coupe, and loved it. What engine / comfort package is it?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

jasonb wrote:
    Brake pads shouldn't cost too much, and more importantly, you've got yourself a great Car.

I had a '00 406 Coupe, and loved it. What engine / comfort package is it?

J.

Can I ask you, did it need to get above about 4k revs to have any poke at all?
    I test drove one recently (for someone else :( )and it needed a boot full of revs, otherwise it was a dead loss, is this normal ?

Thanks
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I had the 2Ltr Petrol, and had no problem with getting some poke out of it, and didn't have to redline the engine to do it. That said, I'm not much of a boy racer, so wasn't always looking for lots of acceleration.

Tried the 3ltr V6 in a test drive, and that was pretty nice though... :)

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Did it actually pass the NCT on 17-02-06 or was that its due date? It might have been let in early for the test, I think you can do it up to 3 months early but it still doesn't start till it due date.

Advertisement