Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Dry Fire Practice / Laser Practice

Options
  • 21-02-2006 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Do any of you do a lot of dry fire practice at home for your pistol shooting? Will this improve your accuracy per se, or is it really only for practical pistol?

Anyone come across the Beamhit Laser Dry Fire system?

http://www.1st-shot-counts.com/

What do you make of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Smirky wrote:
    Do any of you do a lot of dry fire practice at home for your pistol shooting? Will this improve your accuracy per se, or is it really only for practical pistol?
    Dry-firing, done properly, will improve your target shooting with any form of firearm Smirky. Serious target shooters will be doing almost an equal mix of live and dry firing during training, on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Thanks Sparks. I wasn't aware of it until quite recently so have been doing a bit of digging on it. Have you come across anyone using the Beamhit, or similar laser system or do the majority stick with straightforward techniques?

On an aside, I came across the US Army Pistol Marksmanship Training Book which I have cut & pasted into a Word doc. As a beginner Pistol shooter I have found it an invaluable source of information on all the stuff that I don't know but need to know - stance, trigger pull, target aquisition etc. If anyone wants an email copy then PM me & I'd be happy to send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Smirky, there are three items you must concentrate on to become a good pistol shot, front sight ,front sight, front sight. After that every round goes into the A box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭skellig

hay les your wrong its safety SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY after that every round in the target is a bonus :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Smirky, Steve Anderson,s book " Refinement and Repetition" is well worth investing a few Euros in ,also both books by Saul Kirsch, Saul covers all aspects of training for PP, as Sparks said dry fire would make up at least 50 to 60 percent of any training schedule. In relation to the beamhit ,is the laser discharged when you press the trigger or is it constantly on . For your initial practice I would set up some A4 pages with a simple point of aim in the centre, start at 7 yds , work on trigger control and sight fixture. front sight focus, press ,and follow through. When you are happy with your groups at seven move out to 10 / 15/ 25/ 35. Dont rush to get to the longer distances work on your basics at each distance. If you are interested in coming to Newry some Saturday I can make the arangements ,best of luck with the sport, I hope I have the links right www. andersonshooting.com
    www.doublealpha.biz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

That's great advice Les45, thanks for taking the time. Had another invite to Newry from another Boardser in the last day or two so will definitely take up the offer in a few weeks once I have got some of the basic groundwork in. Will search out a couple of those books too, could make interesting reading & better to do it now before I pick up bad habits!

You are very welcome , I look forward to seeing you in Newry very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ginoguns39

hi ide be interested in you army book.my mail is ginokelly@eircom.net.thanks in advance

Advertisement