Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No surround sound with RCA on philips DVD

• 21-02-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I Have a Philips MX3600 DVD Player/Home Theatre Sound. When I play DVDs in it I get the surround sound fine. I then bought a philips dvd recorder that I want to play the DVDs through (because it has component out for my projector). I connect the dvd recorder to my old dvd player via RCA to get the surround sound but I do not get the surround effect.I get nothing thru the centre speaker and I get average sound through the other speakers. I get the same problem trying to play my Sonos thru the surround sound via RCA,

Any ideas anybody ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

RCA - you mean phone leads - right red and white etc -

these will only ever give you stereo sounf you need to connect up the digital input output on both - usually either optical or coaxial - sometimes though you have optical on one and coxial on another in which case you need to buy an adapter -

Hope this helps

to summarise - on your Philips MX3600 DVD Player you should have a digital - optical or coaxial in

on your recodable drive you should have a digital out (either coxial or optical)

if its optical - you need to get a toslink cable if its coaxial you need to get a coaxial cable

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

Thanks Wolff. Yes I mean Phono leads - a red one and a white one. From memory (I'm at work so I cant check) the new DVD recorder does have optical out and coaxial out but the older DVD did not have either input. I will check again tonight. The Sonos only seems to have the phono outputs (and speaker outputs) - does that mean I cannot hook that up to any surround system and get good results ?

I would be very surprised if the phillips MX3600 did not have at leat one digital input either Optical or coaxial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Heres the thing , while most DVD recorders these days cater for some kind of component video out , the majority of low end entry level recorders have stereo sound output only , no multichannel capabilities whatsoever ! So the only surround option is good old fashioned Dolby Surround , which is just the front two speakers summed and fed in series through the back speakers , there will be no dedicated center or rear channels.

The higher end units typically have a secure recording system for 5.1 etc. I think this is a kind of hardware DRM whereby the recorders are limited on surround sound capabilities but Im not an expert and could be wrong here.

• Advertisement

I think you are getting confused here - there is hardly any dvd player recocoder or what ever that does not have a digital
    output - Ive never seen one with stereo only, even the cheapest nastiest all have a digital output of some kind.

The problem here is not with the DVD recorder he has already said it has 2 digital outputs - its the older combined
    dvd/surround sound system - it has to have a digital input. And again Im sure it has -as any of these all in one jobbies ive
    had in the past have had at least one type of digital input.

I didnt say they dont have digital out , I said that they only have stereo , and there are plenty of those , no 5.1 appears on any output , only stereo , in the case of the optical or coaxial out , only PCM stereo 44khz.

Heres a link to philips website , note the cheaper recorders specify on the audio playback capabilites , Dolby Digital , PCM , Stereo , they do not specify if it is 5.1 or DTS , usually when 5.1 or DTS is present its plastered all over the machine , as in the more expensive ( i-link - thats what i was trying to remember earlier ) machines it distinctly specifies DTS and 5.1 multichannel.

http://www.store.philips.com/b2c_redesign/catalog/updateItems.do?shop=DIRECT ,

The idea here of course , is that you cannot make copies of DVD movies off the tv with 5.1 sound , only stereo , thereby making it still worthwhile to buy originals !!!

Of course , with a PC , .........but thats another story !!

Advertisement