Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short term insurance - driving a car across the pond

Options
  • 21-02-2006 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Just after ringing my insurance company to see if I can transfer my policy in order to drive a car over from England, and the feckers say they won't cover me basically because the car is a Celica :( I wouldnt mind, but I'm 25, what do they think I'm going to do - floor it all the way to the ferry?

Just wondering if any of you know if it's possible to get short term insurance for maybe 2 days? If not.. I'd be tempted to sneak it cautiously across, 20mph all the way ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I never had a problem like that when i was bringing back cars from England, whats the insurance company?

Only other option you have is get one of your mates to go with you and get him to transfer his insurance, other than that drive over with a car trailer.

By the way, if they wont insure you in England are you sure they will insure you over here??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

advise them to reconsider or you may move insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Yeah, I've checked out insurance and it's no prob.

I know the broker pretty well (it's axa) and I rang back and complained, and said that I was really stuck. They did some enquiries and sorted it out. So now I can drive legally when I get my new motor!

They told me that axa usually don't insure anyone under 30 on a sports car (or what they class as a sporty high powered car), but they made an exception for this case. They also said, one of the reasons was because by allowing me to transfer over to a Celica, and drive it back, then I wouldn't be renewing with them when my policy was up. Kinda makes sense.

Advertisement